Boat Harasses Beaver

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Boat Harasses Beaver

Post by geodoc »

Apparently happened in Halibut Cover AK south of Anchorage today. Word seems to be that the boat driver is a local crazy woman. Scary.

---------- ADS -----------

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Boat Harasses Beaver

Post by Mick G »

Interesting. I wonder what the law is regarding this. Because the aircraft is operating as a boat, does that prevent the law of "interference of the safe operation of an aircraft", or something along these lines with whatever the criminal code offense officialy is? This type of behavior ought to be illegal

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

The story I've heard is that the boat operator is also a local harbor side restaurant owner and somewhat "miffed" by the intrusive comings and goings of the float plane traffic. :roll:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I think I heard the prop hit the wave.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Mick G wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:23 am Interesting. I wonder what the law is regarding this. Because the aircraft is operating as a boat, does that prevent the law of "interference of the safe operation of an aircraft", or something along these lines with whatever the criminal code offense officialy is? This type of behavior ought to be illegal
The aircraft had a prop strike on the water as a result of this nut job "Karen" deliberately operating her vessel in a reckless manner. There must be some sort of a nautical law that was broken (full disclosure: I'm not a sea captain) given that the aircraft was probably damaged from her actions.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Likely will become a civil matter.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

The forced sale of her boat to cover the prop overhaul will be a wake up call for her. The cost of the R985 teardown, and to later find out the DHC2 owner now has a zero time engine so coming up roses, will be the penalty. 'MURCA FREEDUMB!!!!!

MF

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Was he allowed to continue flight after prop strike??? Or did he not know until after?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Mick G wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:12 am Was he allowed to continue flight after prop strike??? Or did he not know until after?
Where did you see a prop strike?

I think Pelmet confused the term “Prop Strike” with “a bit of spray” from the boat wake.

TPC

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:00 pm
Mick G wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:12 am Was he allowed to continue flight after prop strike??? Or did he not know until after?
Where did you see a prop strike?

I think Pelmet confused the term “Prop Strike” with “a bit of spray” from the boat wake.

TPC
It gets confusing.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

That wasn't a prop strike. That happens daily on seaplanes, and isn't really an issue. Just inspect the blades, might need a minor file on the leading edge but I've personally seen worse.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I hope charges are laid. And by that I mean I'd pay a nighttime visit to the marina and plant some scuttling charges in the boat.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

That wasn't a prop strike. That happens daily on seaplanes, and isn't really an issue.
This.

A blade may have suffered some water abrasion, certainly not good. But unless a blade is damaged (bent), unlikely it's a "prop strike" in the sense of needing an overhaul. But, I sure would be pursuing the boater for at least the cost of inspecting and dressing out the prop. If the airplane was out of service for this, I'd seek loss of use for the inspection and ferry time.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:10 pm
That wasn't a prop strike. That happens daily on seaplanes, and isn't really an issue.
This.

A blade may have suffered some water abrasion, certainly not good. But unless a blade is damaged (bent), unlikely it's a "prop strike" in the sense of needing an overhaul. But, I sure would be pursuing the boater for at least the cost of inspecting and dressing out the prop. If the airplane was out of service for this, I'd seek loss of use for the inspection and ferry time.
Isn't it a noticeable decrease in rpm on some engines that requires an overhaul?

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

pelmet wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:59 pm
PilotDAR wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:10 pm
This.

Isn't it a noticeable decrease in rpm on some engines that requires an overhaul?
A pretty good run-down on prop strikes / sudden stoppages:

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-pro ... dden-stop/

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”