Reasons to NOT choose Encore

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Reasons to NOT choose Encore

Post by thepoors »

FlyAlberta wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:21 pm
Saubia wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 pm
JBI wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Wait, You're working at Encore? In this post from August 2020, you say you're working at Jazz: viewtopic.php?p=1124852#p1124852

Don't you know which airline you work for? :?

Either way, for yourself or the OP, I'm curious what you think your ALPA volunteers should be doing differently (that isn't illegal)?
I was at jazz before, moved to encore before the covid. I used a shortcut on my previous post.....I don't want to start a topic on alpa here. It's public forum and not the place to blame them. I'm just saying we lost so much the past few years and I still don't see any improvement coming from their actions.
I'll still finish on a positive note: people i work with are great, I really mean it. But I start to be really frustrated by the way we are loosing our conditions.

Sorry,but I think you’re trolling. The quoted post from Aug 2020 says you were laid off from Jazz due to the Covid situation. Your follow up to that says you moved to Encore from Jazz before Covid. If you were laid off from Jazz due to Covid then Encore certainly hadn’t been hiring after Covid started. Sorry, just sounds fishy.

Perhaps you’re a new hire this year at Encore, in which case, you would be currently in initial training or completed line indoc this month. If that’s the case then, with all due respect, you haven’t had enough time to really become educated on what ALPA is or has been up to.

I’ve never been more satisfied and confident in the current stance that the Encore MEC is taking, and EVERY SINGLE pilot I’ve talked to since the last ALPA call, every single one, shares the same opinion. My only hope is that they continue to hold their firm stance and fight for our desired outcome.
Ooofffff... What exactly are they putting in the teal kool-aid these days...
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

thepoors wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:56 am
Ooofffff... What exactly are they putting in the teal kool-aid these days...
Re-read flyalberta’s post. They are not saying they’re thrilled with Encore and they’re not drinking Teal Kool-Aide. The support is for their union. Which, if you ask management, is probably the exact opposite of drinking Teal Kool-Aide.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Morale keeps dropping.

Management keeps pretending that everything is okay.

If you are thinking about starting at Encore, my take home pay will be $1164 on my next paycheck. If you can live in Toronto for less than $2400 per month, then by all means, go Encore!

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

What!!!! Are you a Jr FO?

I made more take home in 1997 as a king air capt! Wow!

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

pacman007 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:46 pm What!!!! Are you a Jr FO?

I made more take home in 1997 as a king air capt! Wow!
Sure, I'm in the bottom quarter of the seniority list, but with 2300 pilots, I am above hundreds of other pilots who have also been here for years.

First year pays:

Pacific Coastal FO B1900 Pay:
MMG: 80
First year pay: $52.08/hr
Per Diem: $4.50/hr TAFB
$49,996/year plus per diem

Encore FO Q400 Pay:
MMG: 75
First Year Pay: $46.96
Per Diem: $3.4575
$42,264/year plus per diem

Encore pay per month $3522 split over two pay checks per month is $1761 with about $400-500 in deductions.

Pay is done twice a month on the first and on the fifteenth. OT is paid out for the previous month on the 15th.

My next paycheck:
Gross Pay: $1800
Deductions: $650
Net Pay: $1150

If I do three to four days of OT, I can take home an extra $600 or so.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Just as bad over on the mainline side too for junior FOs. It forces most to rely on working OT to be able to survive the low takehome pay. Just how the company likes it, pilots desperate to come to work.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:58 am Just as bad over on the mainline side too for junior FOs. It forces most to rely on working OT to be able to survive the low takehome pay. Just how the company likes it, pilots desperate to come to work.
It's only one of the reasons why there is a mass exodus from Encore. I'd guess that we're losing 5-10 pilots per month.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Average_Canuck wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:06 am From a current employee to potential applicants, here are MY top reasons you shouldn't consider Encore:

1. Not to beat a dead horse, but flow may soon be a thing of the past. Even if the Pilot Transfer Agreement with Encore, Swoop, Mainline (and Sunwing?) may exist, you're still looking at 6 to 8 years to flow at 8 pilots per month (over 530 pilots at WEN currently) This is assuming there will be a minimim of 8 per month...and that's asking a lot, apparently.

2. If you have 1500 hours and an ATP (or in most cases IATRA with 1000) you have a lot more options now - Porter, Jazz, Sunwing, Transat, Cargojet, Swoop, Flair, Lynx, even mainline WJ. They ALL have better contracts than Encore - hands down. Better pay, same or better equipment, maybe even comparable schedules.

3. Encore ALPA has no teeth. All they care about is pub nights. They answer your questions like management - generic, vague and never to the point.

4. With Jazz, even if you decide AC is not for you (for some reason) a career at Jazz is not a bad option at all. Have a look at their pay structure- compare it with Encore's and you'll see why.

5. During your interview at Encore, they'll emphasize how a successful outcome of this one interview will take you all the way to a dreamliner. Don't fall for it. It's that dangling carrot at the end of the stick that grows longer and longer every year.

6. Too many scheduling issues and IROPS - granted this may be the case for every other airline currently, so take my comment with a pinch of salt.

7. You'll see the same names and their friends for training pilot nominees, pilot management positions, office positions, etc. Again, my personal opinion - sorry if you find this offensive.

8. Westjet management will never agree to years of service - meaning if you flow to mainline after howmanyever years, you start as year 1 mainline FO. The 'bridge pay' (REIP) isn't much I hear, after taxes.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Now to answer the question - What am I still doing here? Trust me when I say this - like several other Encore Pilots, I'm looking to move pronto. These problems didn't quite exist when we started here.

What are your reasons? What do you think of mine?
Thank you for your valuable information much appreciated.

How many days a month do you fly ? WhAt is the minimum working days and maximum flying working days consist at Encore. Can I give away pairings?

Fly safe

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

ellinas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:52 am
Average_Canuck wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:06 am From a current employee to potential applicants, here are MY top reasons you shouldn't consider Encore:

1. Not to beat a dead horse, but flow may soon be a thing of the past. Even if the Pilot Transfer Agreement with Encore, Swoop, Mainline (and Sunwing?) may exist, you're still looking at 6 to 8 years to flow at 8 pilots per month (over 530 pilots at WEN currently) This is assuming there will be a minimim of 8 per month...and that's asking a lot, apparently.

2. If you have 1500 hours and an ATP (or in most cases IATRA with 1000) you have a lot more options now - Porter, Jazz, Sunwing, Transat, Cargojet, Swoop, Flair, Lynx, even mainline WJ. They ALL have better contracts than Encore - hands down. Better pay, same or better equipment, maybe even comparable schedules.

3. Encore ALPA has no teeth. All they care about is pub nights. They answer your questions like management - generic, vague and never to the point.

4. With Jazz, even if you decide AC is not for you (for some reason) a career at Jazz is not a bad option at all. Have a look at their pay structure- compare it with Encore's and you'll see why.

5. During your interview at Encore, they'll emphasize how a successful outcome of this one interview will take you all the way to a dreamliner. Don't fall for it. It's that dangling carrot at the end of the stick that grows longer and longer every year.

6. Too many scheduling issues and IROPS - granted this may be the case for every other airline currently, so take my comment with a pinch of salt.

7. You'll see the same names and their friends for training pilot nominees, pilot management positions, office positions, etc. Again, my personal opinion - sorry if you find this offensive.

8. Westjet management will never agree to years of service - meaning if you flow to mainline after howmanyever years, you start as year 1 mainline FO. The 'bridge pay' (REIP) isn't much I hear, after taxes.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Now to answer the question - What am I still doing here? Trust me when I say this - like several other Encore Pilots, I'm looking to move pronto. These problems didn't quite exist when we started here.

What are your reasons? What do you think of mine?
Thank you for your valuable information much appreciated.

How many days a month do you fly ? WhAt is the minimum working days and maximum flying working days consist at Encore. Can I give away pairings?

Fly safe
18 days when things are busy, sometimes if you’re lucky you can get away with a day or two less. Mostly 4 day pairings, and lots of long airport sits. Technically you can give away pairings, but it very seldom is possible when guys are working 18 days. Approx 15 sick days a year (60 hours) plus 3 personal days so that helps with scheduling issues as it’s rarely possible to drop a pairing.

CaptainKirk2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CaptainKirk2 »

does anyone have the encore contract willing to share?

Scubes76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scubes76 »

goingmissed wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:51 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:28 am What's the current payscale at encore? Latest one.
It hasn't changed in a few years. Contract negotiations should begin next year.

75MMG/900 guaranteed hours per year

~2% pay increase per year

~$3.45/hour away from base (pairing start to pairing end) per diem, increasing at 2% per year
Would you or anyone else currently at Encore mind posting a full monthly take home pay? Need to see the actual amounts one would take home including the $850 monthly add on and including any and all deductions. Thank you!

Return to “WestJet Encore”