Heard back from a job posting you applied to?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Flathead05
Rank 0
Rank 0

Heard back from a job posting you applied to?

Post by Flathead05 »

Hey all, just a quick survey on if you've heard back from any job postings you've applied to and how long it took. I've seen a lot of ads going up recently and wanted to gauge how much movement is actually happening.

Heard something back?:
How long after applying?:
Interview/offer?:
Your TT:
Company/Position:

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

rwy31
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Heard back from a job posting you applied to?

Post by rwy31 »

within a few days 3-4 days
ground to flight position
330TT
North Star /Thunder /North Wright Air

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

ORNGE FO, TT around 1900

About 10 days for an Interview.

static_invertor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by static_invertor »

Trying to return to Canada after escaping a pretty shady outfit.

Applied to almost all of them.
Around 550 TT. Turbine Multi Crew Experience.

No response whatsoever.

Could be my age is a factor. Am approaching 50.

I'm essentially retired, so there's no pressure to get a job fortunately.

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

900hrs TT
Applied to many twin operators, PAL, PASCO, CMA, NCA etc
Haven't heard a thing

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lowoleo22 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:33 pm 900hrs TT
Applied to many twin operators, PAL, PASCO, CMA, NCA etc
Haven't heard a thing
Might wanna get that resume looked at.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

static_invertor wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:52 am Trying to return to Canada after escaping a pretty shady outfit.

No response whatsoever.

More likely the recent out of country experience. That's a known issue in many fields for some strange reason.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I agree, resume and cover letter could be a big one. It's a good idea to have it done by a professional.

As for age, it could be an issue too. Companies are comparing experience level and age.

But these days everything is possible.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I've sent my resume to 2 different operators, no cover letter and got 2 phone calls within 72 hours.

But then again my PIC time isn't just night cross country in a 172 going from YYC to YEG or YHU to YQB and back.

No offense but there's no shortage of 500 hours wonders with 250 hours of right seat in a kingair, navajo, pc12 or the 1200 hr flight ATPL flight instructor willing to work for 40k per year. In fact a lot of these dudes will offer to sign a bond or pay for their PPC as unfortunate as it is.

When I was a tenderfoot and didn't know anything, had no networking and no valuable experience, I would hit 703/704 operators with a nice custom, email, after carefully researching their company, their fleet, the region, the local culture, etc. I would take me at least 5-6 hours per email and I would re-write my cover letter each time. Still took me months to find a company that was the right fit and I still had to work my ass to get my seat. Also don't waste time with a company that has hard experience minimum (some air ambulance, contrails, etc) they can't waive these.

When I use to go hangar knocking, I would try to find out beforehand who to talk to, who to not talk to. Make friends with the dispatcher/front counter person, get a feel of the company. If they were not hiring now, I would ask when to come back then I would come back later and offer my services again. Don't bother the busy schedule of a CP by hand dropping your resume if he's not expecting you. Also if you do go the in-person technique, dress appropriately. Don't show up at Buffalo with a short sleeve white shirt and tie, it's embarrassing but also don't show up in white/orange tennis shoes for that corporate charter gig either. You'd think it's common sense but its not.

Also, any CP will tell you there's nothing worse than receiving an obvious shitty mass spammed 2 page resume with no work experience past high school and ridiculous fonts and grammar. No matter how desperate operators are, there is still somewhat of a standard for professionalism.

Finally if you are a quality candidate, and have done a good effort sending in your candidature and believe that you're a good fit for what the company needs. Just wait it out. Everyone is swamped right now, it's really hard to even get sim slots, and most companies need captains more than they need FOs so if they do have slots, they'll try to use them for DECs hires. Don't look like the desperate schmuck at the bar hitting the same annoyed girl 5 times in a row. When/if it happens, it'll happen on the company's own timeline and that will go on for all of your career. One of these days you'll be in the pool for a major airline, for some people, it can take a year of more of incertitude only to be told "better luck next time".

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
static_invertor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bede wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:26 am
static_invertor wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:52 am Trying to return to Canada after escaping a pretty shady outfit.

No response whatsoever.

More likely the recent out of country experience. That's a known issue in many fields for some strange reason.

I'm a 4th generation Canadian. I really hope it's not the out of country experience and they assume I'm a foreigner. I'm still more inclined to say it's my age... or maybe they're just getting swamped with applications.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

1200 TT, no responses, from ornge, pasco, cma ect.

however did receive interviews for jazz and porter :rolleyes:

IJNShiroyuki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IJNShiroyuki »

pitottubey wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:12 am 1200 TT, no responses, from ornge, pasco, cma ect.

however did receive interviews for jazz and porter :rolleyes:
So how did your interview went with Porter and Jazz?

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

static_invertor wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am
Bede wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:26 am

No response whatsoever.

I'm a 4th generation Canadian. I really hope it's not the out of country experience and they assume I'm a foreigner. I'm still more inclined to say it's my age... or maybe they're just getting swamped with applications.

How would they know your age? Are you including your birthdate on your resume/application?

static_invertor
Rank 1
Rank 1

You can guess a person's age by looking at their work history and education graduation dates.

It's pretty obvious I ain't 22 :lol:

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

static_invertor wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:47 pm You can guess a person's age by looking at their work history and education graduation dates.

It's pretty obvious I ain't 22 :lol:

Well I’d at least remove the graduation dates, ever considered slashing some hours off your resume to at least get your foot in the door for an interview 🤔

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Some companies ask you to fill up a form where you must put your school dates.
Also when you do the interviews, they see you.

So this thing about companies not allowed to ask your age is a joke and a waste of time.

And if they don't want you because of your age they can come up with a thousand reasons.

Return to “Employment Forum”