International ATC transfer question

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ftaylor91
Rank 0
Rank 0

International ATC transfer question

Post by Ftaylor91 »

Hi all,
I'm a valid Area ATCO in the UK and starting to look elsewhere, I've got a Canadian passport so I'm able to work and live in Canada. I was wondering if anybody knew of any precedent for people transferring to NAVCANADA from other ATS providers and if so what sort of process it would entail, ie. Licence conversion course and then OJT. Or if anybody could point me in the direction of somebody who could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: International ATC transfer question

Post by wordstwice »

Many ex NATS controller over here in Canada at various locations, the transition is quite straight forward and all handled by Nav Canada.

As far as what you need to satisfy both Nav Canada and Transport Canada (AKA CAA) that will be determined by your current experience and what area you would work at in Canada. A tailored transition basic training program followed by the OJT training is what I've seen most often.

What you do not want to do is rely on Nav Canada head office HR department to be receptive but rather contact the General Manager of where you want to work specifically. For example, if you want to work in the Toronto ACC then contact the Toronto GM, if you want to work YYZ Tower, contact that manager, etc etc. Maybe you know some people who work here that can help you? like I said, many UK controllers working here right now.

Like most places, Nav Canada is extremely short on ATC licenses and have a serious problem ahead of themselves so its a great time to join.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “ATS Question Forum”