Hardball

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hardball

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

These guys are playing hardball so why are Canadian pilots still play softball.

www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/delt ... ffc0c6bf6f
---------- ADS -----------

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Hardball

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Softball? Canadian pilots are still trying to figure out that shape sorting game you give tolders, and they're not doing well.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:53 am These guys are playing hardball so why are Canadian pilots still play softball.

The balance of power is different between the US and Canada due to different government regulations and laws.

If you think Canadian pilots are less than US pilots, you are sorely mistaken. The biggest difference is that in the US, the government has enacted regulations to artificially reduce the pool of pilots whereas in Canada the government has enacted regulations to flood markets with foreign workers.

I was a Harper fan, but his TFW policy is f^cking with all of our careers.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:53 am These guys are playing hardball so why are Canadian pilots still play softball.

Because there’s no Canadian airline pilot group who are in a strike position.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am

The balance of power is different between the US and Canada due to different government regulations and laws.

If you think Canadian pilots are less than US pilots, you are sorely mistaken. The biggest difference is that in the US, the government has enacted regulations to artificially reduce the pool of pilots whereas in Canada the government has enacted regulations to flood markets with foreign workers.

I was a Harper fan, but his TFW policy is f^cking with all of our careers.
Finally someone who really understands what’s going on. As long as you have open borders, TFWs and a 250hr min requirement to be a right seater, the pay will be shit. It’s the most simple offer/demand curve.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Bede wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:54 pm Because there’s no Canadian airline pilot group who are in a strike position.
And if there were, the fear is that the minister of forced labour (formerly Lisa Raitt) would just force them back to work.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:54 pm

Doesn't mean they can't though. A bit of civil disobedience goes a long way. Historically most social improvements have come from unlawful labor actions.

Now if that applies to the pilot profession is a whole other discussion. But if you press people hard enough, things could happen. I could see Sunwing's pilots spark the flame. The government response to the TFW issue didn't seem very satisfactory. Especially when most of those pilots likely see the daily ads South of the border, with sign on bonuses etc.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

digits_ wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:10 pm
Bede wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:54 pm

Doesn't mean they can't though. A bit of civil disobedience goes a long way. Historically most social improvements have come from unlawful labor actions.

Now if that applies to the pilot profession is a whole other discussion. But if you press people hard enough, things could happen. I could see Sunwing's pilots spark the flame. The government response to the TFW issue didn't seem very satisfactory. Especially when most of those pilots likely see the daily ads South of the border, with sign on bonuses etc.
The auto workers union lead by scumbag Jerry **** ain’t going to do jack shit but you’re right, of all the hills to die on, this is the one. Letting the management hold back FOs from upgrading so that they can hire more TFWs with less experience that pilots on property and pay them a higher hourly wage. Could you imagine the shit storm if United or Delta did that down south ? Oh yeah I forget, these are real fucking men and women working down there and they respect their profession and aren’t yellow bellied cowards that will be the good company person that takes that OT call on their days off after being betrayed and lied to again and again.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”