BEST SCHOOL FOR INSTRUCTOR AROUND MONTREAL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Saubia
Rank 1
Rank 1

BEST SCHOOL FOR INSTRUCTOR AROUND MONTREAL

Post by Saubia »

Good morning,

I finishing my CPL/ME/IFR at Ottawa and looking for a spot for instructor rating+ job in a school around Montreal. I need some advices : I have heard of some school (air Richelieu /cargair/ALM/Lachute...) but what are the real opportunities? (if you call directly all will say that you can fly a lot and it's the best school of the wold so that's why I'm looking for real comments)

Thank!
---------- ADS -----------

kilomike_19
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: BEST SCHOOL FOR INSTRUCTOR AROUND MONTREAL

Post by kilomike_19 »

A little advice my friend : If a school promises you a job, do not trust them at all... The only way to get a job is working hard and prove you're more than just a pilot

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mmmm, slow cooked smokey brisket.

Post by Beefitarian »

Things are subjective too. I might go to a place called Shecky's BBQ and Taildragger Academy, thinking it is the best flight training facility in the known universe. You might not like them at all.

In the past I have heard bad things about the flight schools I prefer and good things about one former place I would never have flown with.

Is there any way you can go to visit and talk with the staff in person? Going several times is even better.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

A little advice my friend : If a school promises you a job, do not trust them at all... The only way to get a job is working hard and prove you're more than just a pilot
+1, Good advice. There are no job guarantees, it just doesn't work that way. Where did you do your training in YOW?

I wish I could remember exactly which school, but I was recently speaking with a rampie at my operator that had spent almost 2 years at what sounded like an absolutely brutal school in the YUL area. Pay was extremely low, he was getting around 300 hrs a year, and was expected to be there 7 days a week, rain or shine, booking or no booking. CFI had the attitude of "Nobody helped me and I had to slog through shit so everybody else has to as well." Way to pay it forward.

Some tips- After you choose the school, start your rating, right from day 1, like an extended job interview. Be there early every day. Don't cancel unless absolutely necessary or you're actually sick. (I got reamed for showing up one day trying to fight through the flu. The CFI was a terrific, pragmatic guy). Be prepared for each lesson, get to know everyone and hopefully get involved in socials. Study at the school instead of running out the door if you can.
The worst thing you can do to yourself is to get known as a bad student, then you spend months and thousands of dollars completing a rating that will be useless at that school.

The success of the rating, and instruction over all, is based on the ground more than the air.

Good luck!

berkutmtl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by berkutmtl »

I would suggest cargair. They have over 400 Chinese students a year and have 30+ instructors . Most people that do finish the Instructor rating get a job as the current instructors move up pretty fast to Max aviation (cargairs charter airline) on the kingairs. The pay is very competitive to 40+ hr and you do 700+ hrs a year .If you have any questions about the school let me know.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

With all the folks singing the praises of teaching the integrated program students, maybe you should have a read through "Flying Upside Down" - gives a pretty good perspective of what your students turn out being, the attitudes they have, etc.

Not to mention the crap hours, and crap pay you will have teaching on an integrated program...

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

berkutmtl wrote: The pay is very competitive to 40+ hr
For instructing or in the KA? That's almost double the average pay for many class 4 and some class 3.

berkutmtl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by berkutmtl »

Class 4 single is 38 an hour you are not an employee you are an independent contractor. Multi instructor is close to 50 something. But you WORK A LOT.... 6am to 11pm at school but 4-7 hours of flight a day easy.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

7 hours of flight in a 12-15 hr day. Really? Can a person really do a good job instructing at this point?
Or is fatigue and quality of instruction not a concern.

Also, perhaps I missed something. 700 hrs/yr at $40. Thats $28,000 a year....
For what is described as a. 70-80 work week..
Seems to me if the hours you posted are correct, an instructor would be flying over 100 hrs a month. Something does not compute quite right.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
berkutmtl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by berkutmtl »

trey kule wrote:7 hours of flight in a 12-15 hr day. Really? Can a person really do a good job instructing at this point?
Or is fatigue and quality of instruction not a concern.

Also, perhaps I missed something. 700 hrs/yr at $40. Thats $28,000 a year....
For what is described as a. 70-80 work week..
Seems to me if the hours you posted are correct, an instructor would be flying over 100 hrs a month. Something does not compute quite right.

December January Feb March are months when you can sometimes only be doing 5-10 hours due to weather. Also its closer to a 1000hr a year, 700 is conservative. But the fatigue is definitely there a bit but better now since they hired more and more instructors

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

1000 hours? Pretty good for an instructor. But let's say that's 1300 hours of billable time with pgi's. That's 52k a year, I've never heard of anybody other than a few class 1/cfi's making that, let alone a class 4. Huh.

flyplaneguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyplaneguy »

Buy your own plane and skip the BS gate keeping.

Return to “Flight Training”