Air Conditioning on Light G/A AC

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Conditioning on Light G/A AC

Post by star57 »

AME's, we are looking for someone that has good experience in General Aviation cooling systems, the Aircraft for the test install is an experimental aircraft, the owner wants someone that will consult and be part of the process of assembly and selection of parts, install methods to be developed etc.
Airframe modifications is looked after, we have an electronics engineer as a member of the group, more expertise in the Air Conditioning side is required, qualified people in the Calgary area contact the owner via this Email arresboy@gmail.com.
This is a test bed project that is at the initial stage, and will lead to assembly of a kit for future deployment in A/B Exp. Aircraft .
---------- ADS -----------

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Conditioning on Light G/A AC

Post by chowda »

You're most likely going to be looking at automotive variable displacement AC compressors and the related supporting hardware components from a given manufacturer. r1234y systems are almost 40% more efficient than older r134a types, but the refrigerant is hideously expensive and flammable.
You're also going to need either a standalone controller for the variable compressor or, depending on engine managment utilized, interfacing it with ECU using compatible sensors for pressure/temp inputs.

Might be worth seeing what comes out of Europe in the next few years as they pushing fwd with CO2 based (R744) for automotive which promises low cost and no flammability(r1234y)

I could go down the rabbit hole, but the fast answer would be pick an appropiate car and start figuring how to incorporate its MVAC components into the airframe and fabbing lines/hoses to connect it all.

Being that its an Experimental application the process should be much less stressful.

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by star57 »

Thank you Chowda for your thoughts, we have a kit in mind that a fellow flyer that owns a plastic turbo prop experimental is installing it.
My challenge is not getting the parts, it is putting all together.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Oh ok. Got you. If I was anywhere near you I could advise, but I'm not.

It might be easier to look around for an individual who does custom mvac installations for cars/rv's.

They'd be much more knowledgeable/capable for carrying out that sort of work than probably any AME out there. AME-M's, for the most part, are parts changers and not versed in prototypical work.

A good custom A/C car or equipment guy would be a better choice.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

You can contact the people at Aevex / Ikhana in California:

https://www.ikhanagroup.com/fact-sheet- ... ditioning/
They very certainly have the technical capability, but will not be low cost. I did the Canadian certification of their Twin Otter Air Conditioning system.

Return to “Maintenance”