What to do next

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

What to do next

Post by Avi-Nation »

Hello,

I suppose this is an age old question, instruct or Multi IFR?

Fresh CPL, 300 hours in Alberta. I find instructing to be an interesting proposition and like how it knocks out ATPL requirements easier (from what I read) but the Multi IFR is 100% necessary at some point and it's hard to spend an additional 10-12k when I'm already going to spend that on Multi IFR. While studying for INRAT, a Class I reached out to me outside my city and offered the instructor rating but I don't think there is a job offer at the end. I don't mean to come off entitled, I know the standard is for schools to hire instructor they train and that may be a handicap for me. Definitely a Class 1 shortage out there, none of the schools including mine were able to help.

I applied to some pipeline patrol jobs in person but got the 'we're full but will keep your resume' bit. I suppose bad timing on my end. A bit discouraging as the friends I made all found jobs there right away, even before finishing CPL lol. Getting to this stage was definitely no walk in the park. Would like to make sure the next steps go a bit smoother :)

I'm seeking wisdom or advice I suppose on whats the right footing for the next step. Good luck to others in similar position!
---------- ADS -----------

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What to do next

Post by flyndad »

Do not do the Instructor route if you are going in with the mindset that you just need it to build hours for your ATPL mins. You will be doing a huge disservice to students, do it because you really want to Instruct. Maybe you will get to Instruct alongside airline flying.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

There has never been a better time than right now to find an entry level MIFR flying job.

Get the MIFR. And hit the road. You'll be flying by fall. Don't sell yourself short by taking a ramp job or FA job. Jazz/Encore/AC/Porter etc are GOBBLING up pilots from 703 and 704 operators. We saw similar happen in 2015/2016 but I foresee this next year or two being even more aggressive than the past.

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

Well I'm going to knock out the INRAT and get started on Multi IFR. I'd like to teach but it's just not financially feasible for me at this point :(

I'm not sure that's entirely true, entry positions seem scarce and is hard to differentiate yourself but I suppose majority of positions are never advertised.

Highbird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highbird »

I agree, I’m in a similar position and drawn between the two decision. Job market doesn’t seem to be moving for new pilots, still asking for lots of experience. I’m thinking to do my multi-if r in Cornwall and then come back to my original school to do my instructor rating. They might not hire me but I don’t know if I have any other choice but to see and apply. Class 4 pilots don’t make any money, hardly $1000 a month to begin with. Hoping that the industry will pickup faster, because struggle is real and this inflation is not making any better.

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

Ended up doing instructor rating, I have enjoyed it so far!

Return to “Flight Training”