ATPL exams

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

ATPL exams

Post by UKPilot »

Hi everyone,

I've done my due diligence and searched the forum for related threads but my question differs slightly to the others. I'm converting my foreign license (I am a born and bred Canadian, please don't hung up on my terrible choice for a username) so need to write the exams. This is my fourth ATPL so I'm after suggestions for the best way of some good old fashioned cramming and regurgitation. As in, which is the best question bank to use? Most of the info is buried somewhere in the back of my brain, just need a refresher and the differences.

Would you suggest the Aerocourse workbooks are enough?
Is the Pilottraining.ca online course a good option?
Accelerated aviation?

Also, can anyone recommend someone who has access to a 320/330 sim which I could do my flight test in? I would embarrass myself getting back into a ME piston.

Thanks everyone
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: ATPL exams

Post by lownslow »

I borrowed an Aerocourse exam book off someone and used it to gauge whether or not I should get something more in depth. In my case it was enough, but everyone's situation is different.

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by UKPilot »

Thanks lownslow. I'll give that a try as well.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

UKPilot wrote:Thanks lownslow. I'll give that a try as well.
Today I wrote my SAMRA,and what can I say?
Used for prep.pilottraning,.,and Aerocours.
SAMRA exam.014
60 question weather gen.and practical,20 rad.nav and GNSS,no maps and any calculation at all.
Couple question about HF,LO,MF,waves.The most difficult question is weather.
Only 15% of quiz I met in my preparation from Aerocours.
I was really ready to came for next attempt but after second check and analyze,finally got 73%.
Thanks God.
If any question please ask.
Just want to add some questions I remember from there:
Fronts and associated weather before and after passage
Squall lines and avoidance
Precipitation in approach warm and cold fronts
Clouds type in approach fronts
Fog formation and types
Air mass and properties
Jetstreams
Low level jetstream

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by UKPilot »

Thanks Olegmagellan for the update. Nice work on the pass! Would you say that typically the SAMRA will be heavily Met orientated or is 60 questions on the subject unusual? When you say 15% of the exam you saw in the Aerocourse, is that just from the workbook? I'll be sure to brush up on the Met stuff!

Thanks again.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Exactly,15% of weather questions,were absolutely the same,they appear in workbook.
But another,only analogy,mean,they are talking about same things,using different words,be careful,reading question.SAMRA is concentrated on weather mainly,as I said,60 of 80 on Meteo.
About 5-6 question,I never seen before, I answer them rely on basic knowledge.
Thanks to all.

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by UKPilot »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Good luck with the rest.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

UKPilot wrote:Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Good luck with the rest.
No problem,wish you same in your exam.
Just relax a little bit,the time is more than enough for evaluate your answers.
Follow general rule,answer simple question first,than see maps or make calculation.
Normally it works.

blueskysNtailwinds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blueskysNtailwinds »

Wrote the SARON 009 today was straight forward had 8 to 10 questions from performance charts must read the fine print on the charts! 4 questions on duty times, 10 systems questions dealing with turbines, turbos, pressurization.....2 contamination questions...5 human factors questions that were on the INRAT and IATRA the rest was general knowledge things from the CPL written..I used harvs air online course and aerocourse workbook, they did the job fine, be careful I found a few questions on the havrs air exams that contradicted answers on the aerocourse (aerocourse answers were correct). Exam didn't take to long and did well using those 2 study materials. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Everyone seems to over think the ATPLs in my opinion. Put some money into a prep book for the Ops section. I personally recommend the sharper edge series. \

As for weather, 99% of what's going to be on the exam will be covered in the Air Command Weather manual.

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by UKPilot »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wrote both the SAMRA and SARON on Feb 22nd. I wrote SARON 7 and it had about 10 performance chart questions as well. Lot's of fine print and careful reading required, but the questions were fairly straight forward. I had one question about min alts in mountainous terrain. How many hours after anesthesia before you can fly. Time of useful consciousness. Medical certificate validity. Dihedral stability. Windshear recovery. If you're fast over the threshold how should you land.

SAMRA was #13 and had quite a few questions on METAR's, TAF's, and GFA's. Interpretations and validities etc. I think there were about 5 questions on jet streams which definitely wasn't my strong suit. Formation of clouds along a front, conditions of cloud formation and characteristics of cloud types. Icing, weather radar and thunderstorms.

I used the Aerocourse work book and Nizus online questions. They just started an ATPL question bank and it was pretty good. Some grammar and spelling mistakes but good exposure to the type of questions that were asked.

INRAT to go and will use Nizus again and the Aerocourse workbook. Good luck everyone!

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Hi UK Pilot,

Whatever you do don't get the pilot training.ca as its time consuming and not worth it full of nice to know but not required.

I would advice the accelerated aviation.

If you want to know more pm me, good luck mate.

Yaz111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yaz111 »

Hello guys,, for starters ive found this forum to be absol amazing. Most of the topics, questions and their replies have been very helpfull.

Ive got an ICAO ATPL, took sometime off from work and the license expired some weeks back.i wanna come to Canada and get the TC ATPL. Med class1 is valid.
Now the ques please:
1. Wht’s the best study material? I read on this forum that the exams now have changed to wht the Aerocourse books offer?
2. How helpfull would be the whole 3day Atpl seminar be?
3. Once through the exams (samra/saron) would i have to go through the flight check as well?
4. How much time are we talking abt for this whole process?

Thanks everyone.

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Hello everyone I have a question regarding the conversion of ATPL. I'm a foreign national having foreign ICAO CPL. I'm willing to convert my license into Canadian but instead of converting ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL, I want to directly convert it into Canadian ATPL as I have around 2500 hrs mostly on Multi Engine Multi crew aircrafts. Am I eligible to give Samra Saron and Inrat exams? Thanks for your time.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Yes you can do this. First get your Cat 1 Medical (if you have not already done so), then sit the SAMRA, SARON and INRAT exams.

You will also have to do an IFR flight test in a light twin.

Here is TC's summary of the process:

"To successfully earn a Canadian ATPL-A, you must:

Complete medical examination requirements and hold a Category 1 medical certificate.
Provide proof that you meet the experience requirement. Be prepared to show us a log book of your flight experience for our review.

Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (4) to learn more.
To meet the knowledge requirements, successfully complete the following written examinations:
Meteorology, Radio Aids to Navigation and Flight Planning (SAMRA)
Aviation Regulations and Air Traffic Procedures, Aeroplane Operations and General Navigation (SARON)
Instrument Rating (INRAT)

Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (3) to learn more.
Meet the skill requirement by successfully completing a flight test in a multi-engine aeroplane (excluding centre-line thrust) suitably equipped for instrument flight rules (IFR) flight in controlled airspace.

Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (5) to learn more.
Complete your licence application.
Submit proof of foreign citizenship and age
See CARs Standard 421, section 421.06, para. (1) and (2) for a list of acceptable documents to prove your citizenship and age
Provide your foreign licence and log book for evaluation
Submit your licence application form
See Flight crew licences, permits and ratings to find the correct form(s)
Pay the appropriate licence fee. We will not process your application until we receive this fee. Use our new Online Payment System – this is the fastest way to pay.

You may also submit payment (cheque, Visa, Mastercard or American Express) to a Civil Aviation regional office, usually with your application form."

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Thank you so much for your help. Now in my previous thread I forgot to mention that I'm Airbus 320 rated and current on type. I have around 1400 hrs on type and around 2700 hrs grand total. In order to convert a foreign ICAO CPL to Canadian ATPL, apart from all the other requirements including Class 1 medical and examinations, when it will come for the flight test, does it has to be on a light twin? Can I give my flight test on an Airbus A320 simulator? Thank you for your time.

Return to “Flight Training”