Post graduate work permit pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post graduate work permit pilots

Post by firstofficer »

Greetings all,

I recently completed my CPL flight test. It wasn’t easy (especially with COVID followed by the hike in fuel prices) but after all the sacrifices, we made it!

I’m now weighing my options…FI or Multi? Unfortunately for me, I’m in no position to fork out another $15,000 for the FI course..I just about have enough fiat to get me through the Multi training.

I left Europe & moved to Canada back in 2019. The immigration here imho is the best in the world. They treat everyone like human beings and the opportunities they present to students are very beneficial (20 hours work a week with some exemptions that can allow you to work full time while training) the ability to extend/modify your status while remaining in the country.

The main reason for this post is to see whether any other international students who became pilots were successful in landing a entry level flying job with the post-graduate work permit.

I stay proactively looking at the pilot job market and from what I gathered all employers want potential employees to be either permanent residents or citizens of Canada. A major stumbling block for people like myself that want to move forward with aviation in Canada.

I don’t feel good about committing to a non flying job full time after spending all that time and money to get my licences/ratings however I do know that sacrifices have to be made in this career and recouping some of the money spent would be nice. However it’s hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the job market opening up more for low hour pilots. Especially foreigners like myself.

I personally don’t believe I have it in me to become an instructor therefore I wouldn’t go down that path because “I’m chasing the hours.” I know this kind of attitude would only be a burden on the student and myself.

Would love to hear back from people who entered Canada as an international student and went on to secure a career in aviation, despite the challenges.
---------- ADS -----------

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Post graduate work permit pilots

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Most international students that I know of took up jobs in instructing or went through the ramp part until they finally get to fly with the company's aircraft. I would suggest you get going with the multi engine rating then see what you could do further. Also if you graduate or complete your flight training you can avail tution credits which usually is above 6k dollars. You can also apply for a post graduate work permit while your training to become an instructor so don't worry about that. I'll link some of the stuff that you can read here.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ility.html

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Too bad the us is not as friendly with international students. That would be the place to go.

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:09 am Most international students that I know of took up jobs in instructing or went through the ramp part until they finally get to fly with the company's aircraft. I would suggest you get going with the multi engine rating then see what you could do further. Also if you graduate or complete your flight training you can avail tution credits which usually is above 6k dollars. You can also apply for a post graduate work permit while your training to become an instructor so don't worry about that. I'll link some of the stuff that you can read here.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ility.html
I'll definitely reweigh my options once I see the Multi through...Appreciate the info!

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:32 am Too bad the us is not as friendly with international students. That would be the place to go.
:cry:

Return to “Flight Training”