How to get to Air Canada? Stay at Jazz or leave and get hired off the street?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

How to get to Air Canada? Stay at Jazz or leave and get hired off the street?

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

I am a 4000 hour pilot, doh late 2018. The reason I came to jazz was to go to AC. Should I stay and wait for the potential chance of going to AC, or leave and apply off the street?
---------- ADS -----------

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How to get to Air Canada? Stay at Jazz or leave and get hired off the street?

Post by Nick678 »

I think we’re all contemplating leaving… we all probably should but most probably won’t…

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: How to get to Air Canada? Stay at Jazz or leave and get hired off the street?

We need a clear answer. Either stop hiring completely or honour the %60. So we can decide to leave or stay. This reduced hiring will take an extremely long time to get through.
But most, including myself I think are scared that they could miss out on an increase in hiring.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

I sympathize, I joined this year and it feels a little like I’ve joined a MLM lol…the only way out is if ppl continue to come in behind you as fast as they leave ahead of you. Waiting to see if the pay is improved enough to make staying worth while.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:01 pm I am a 4000 hour pilot, doh late 2018. The reason I came to jazz was to go to AC. Should I stay and wait for the potential chance of going to AC, or leave and apply off the street?
“Make good choices”.

If you are experienced, particularly 705 PIC, then you currently have many options. If you are inexperienced (i.e. college direct) then your options are far far less.

If you are front of the line to go to AC via flow, I would most certainly wait the next 2-3 months to see where that evolves. Once the picture is clearer, re-examine your options if getting to AC is your #1 priority.

It remains to be seen if AC will take a dim view of OTS applicants that have a recent Jazz resignation on their resume. If the flow agreement is terminated, then that point will be moot.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

The "flow" program has largely served its original purpose, it's now part of the leverage required for some much need change. My sense is it won't be eliminated but will be reduced to a much lower percentage, too do so serves the interests of all parties currently sitting around the negotiating table.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:58 am The "flow" program has largely served its original purpose, it's now part of the leverage required for some much need change. My sense is it won't be eliminated but will be reduced to a much lower percentage, too do so serves the interests of all parties currently sitting around the negotiating table.
If that happens. A wave of pilots will leave. Good job Jazz and ALPA for recognizing the interests of a large portion of your pilot group.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:26 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:58 am The "flow" program has largely served its original purpose, it's now part of the leverage required for some much need change. My sense is it won't be eliminated but will be reduced to a much lower percentage, too do so serves the interests of all parties currently sitting around the negotiating table.
If that happens. A wave of pilots will leave. Good job Jazz and ALPA for recognizing the interests of a large portion of your pilot group.
Just curious - who is supposed to pay for flow? Those that are staying, or those that are leaving?

It is much more complicated than it is made out to be.

In any case, it seems that Jazz is unprepared to deal with the current and anticipated attrition AND is unwilling to consider permanent CBA amendments intended to stimulate application/retention of experienced pilots and training pilots.

So, Jazz has chosen status quo. It remains to be seen whether that is tenable.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

The flow program should be funded by those who use it hence lower initial wages however they do need to come up some and flat pay at The Mother Ship. I support a lend/lease idea of pilots back to Jazz who interview, are hired and given a mainline seniority number but they return at the bottom of scheduling, Jazz is welcome to remunerate them on a different scale worked out between them and AC, they are after all now AC pilots “on loan” to Jazz.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

rudder wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:44 am It remains to be seen if AC will take a dim view of OTS applicants that have a recent Jazz resignation on their resume. If the flow agreement is terminated, then that point will be moot.
Apparently not, AC has already hired multiple people that left Jazz back in 2017 and 2018 and went to other carriers. If you resigned right now and went to a LCC, I’m sure you would have no issue being interviewed during spring of next year. Although there isn’t a 90% chance of being hired OTS like there is with the current flow, your chances are still pretty good based on the fact that their hiring pool is dwindling. AC will likely hold off on hiring Jazz until next fall and winter like they did this year in order to preserve the regional summer flying

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

fixnfly wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:03 am
It remains to be seen if AC will take a dim view of OTS applicants that have a recent Jazz resignation on their resume. If the flow agreement is terminated, then that point will be moot.
[/quote]

Apparently not, AC has already hired multiple people that left Jazz back in 2017 and 2018 and went to other carriers. If you resigned right now and went to a LCC, I’m sure you would have no issue being interviewed during spring of next year. Although there isn’t a 90% chance of being hired OTS like there is with the current flow, your chances are still pretty good based on the fact that their hiring pool is dwindling. AC will likely hold off on hiring Jazz until next fall and winter like they did this year in order to preserve the regional summer flying
[/quote]

Thank you for the good feedback! I have seen that as well: Pilots leaving Jazz and working at another carrier to get hired quite quickly. The %90 chance of being hired I think is what keeps people, however if Air Canada gets more and more desperate for candidates they will bring off the street hiring closer to that %90 anyways.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”