ICAO Foreign License Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

ICAO Foreign License Conversion

Post by hbi320 »

Hello everyone hope everyone in this group is doing well. I am an ICAO CPL holder having MEIR and a valid and current A-320 type rating and over 2700hrs grand total. I am currently working for a foreign major Airlines and I want to move to Canada to further my aviation career. I am a Canadian National so work permit or visa is not an issue for me. My question is as per TC I cannot directly convert my CPL to Canadian ATPL without first converting my ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL. But here is the main problem, even if I have the Class 1 medical and have passed CPAER exam, what about the checkride? Can I do my checkride in an A320 simulator? This piece of information is not found anywhere on the TC website. Any help would be highly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ICAO Foreign License Conversion

Post by photofly »

hbi320 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:47 amMy question is as per TC I cannot directly convert my CPL to Canadian ATPL without first converting my ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL.
Yes, you can:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... ts#airline

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean I can convert an ICAO CPL directly to Canadian ATPL without converting it to first Canadian CPL having met the required experience? Thanks again.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That is what the webpage says you can do. Holding a CPL is not one of the requirements for qualifying for an ATPL.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Which means I can skip to convert ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL instead I should be working on SAMRA, SARON AND INRAT exams before I can do the check ride. Thanks again.

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Also do I have to show my logbook to TC in their office or it can be shown via email in the form of last two pages verified by my company? Thank you for your time.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

hbi320 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:04 pm Also do I have to show my logbook to TC in their office or it can be shown via email in the form of last two pages verified by my company? Thank you for your time.
Generally sending the book(s) via mail or email is acceptable. Expect to be required to send all your logbooks, not just the last 2 pages.
There is no need anymore to have the pages verified by your company, although it might make things a bit easier in case they have questions.

Beware that you have to meet all Canadian ATPL requirements, that includes certain amounts of PIC hours and night PIC and cross country requirements etc. Make sure those flights are somehow marked in your logbook as well.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Once the experience and every other requirement is met including all exams passed etc, I will be eligible for the checkride in the simulator right? As I'm A320 rated and current on type.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think the way it works is that you're eligible for a checkride any time you like, and any time you can find one.

The Transport Canada guidelines don't say anything about completing a ride in a simulator, it says "Meet the skill requirement by successfully completing a flight test in a multi-engine aeroplane (excluding centre-line thrust) suitably equipped for instrument flight rules (IFR) flight in controlled airspace."

That's fairly unambiguous (as is the relevant regulation) - no sims allowed.

Once you have all the requirements together, you can approach TC.

Most people would take a flight test in a small piston twin at a flight school where the staff are used to training and testing. That's probably your best path forward.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Application procedures are documented in Transport Canada Advisory Circular AC 401-002.

I also believe that there is an exemption that allows the qualifying flight test for the ATPL to be conducted in a approved level C or D simulator as well as an aeroplane

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:14 am I also believe that there is an exemption that allows the qualifying flight test for the ATPL to be conducted in a approved level C or D simulator as well as an aeroplane
That would be very handy for the OP.

Does anyone know any organizations that the OP could approach as an individual to book such a test?

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Thank you so much for all the information guys. I do have another question, in order to start the ATPL conversion process whom do I contact initially I mean do I have to email someone from TC and show them my experience and then book exams and appear for the exams after medical? How do I go about this whole process thank you.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s all down to you. TC doesn’t know or care about you until all the requirements are in place. Go book a medical, first. The certificate will take (at the moment) between 9 months and 2 years to arrive (no, I’m not joking).

When you get the medical certificate, find a sim or a flight training unit and arrange a test. You can also take the written exams at a TC office, once you have a medical certificate.

When you pass the test, you can fill in the forms to apply for an ATPL licence and an Aviation Document Booklet. Send those with the required photograph and your logbooks to a TC office.

You’ve got many months of waiting for your medical certificate to sort out the details.

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Hmmmm ok I have the medical certificate although currently it is expired. I think having an expired medical certificate might speed up the process rather then having one from scratch. Thank you.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you have a medical certificate already, it never expires, it just needs renewal. A CAME can do that immediately after an examination, so no waiting. Make sure it’s a category 1 medical.

So after that you can proceed directly to the written exams and finding a flight test.

Good luck.

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Thank you for all your help much appreciated 🙂. God Bless you.👍🏻

hbi320
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hbi320 »

Also in order to sit the SAMRA, SARON and INRAT exams, apart from having the valid CLASS 1 medical, do I have to first show my experience to Transport Canada officials in the form of Logbook or maybe a verification letter from the issuing authority? Thank you? Or I can just book the exam and sit the exams?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You could email TC to find out the answer to those questions.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

hbi320 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:27 am Also in order to sit the SAMRA, SARON and INRAT exams, apart from having the valid CLASS 1 medical, do I have to first show my experience to Transport Canada officials in the form of Logbook or maybe a verification letter from the issuing authority? Thank you? Or I can just book the exam and sit the exams?
I've been asked verbally once and other times just asked to show the last page of my logbook (latest totals) in a very informal fashion.

The experience may be different at different offices.

matte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matte »

hey i was hoping if anyone has done the faa to canadain instrument conversion and would know any of the qustions that would be on the written test.

Return to “Flight Training”