Is it realistic to be a PT flight instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is it realistic to be a PT flight instructor

Post by C.W.E. »

You had a flight school. The suggestion here is some random PPL guy in his own tailwheel plane charging money to teach, without even an instructor rating.
I took it he meant getting an instructors rating as there is no such thing as a tail wheel rating in Canada, here is his comment.
by duele » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Is it realistic to become a part-time flight instructor while working a regular 9-5 type job? I wouldn't be trying to move on to any other type of flying job, but am just interested in getting the rating and teaching in the early mornings,
Only one kind of organization cares more about paper than TC, and that’s an insurance underwriter.
Seriously: call your broker and tell them you have a PPL, want to buy a Champ, operate it privately, and earn a lot money from teaching people on it. Without an instructor rating. And that they’ll be flying solo on it, on your say so. I can hear the hysterical laughter from here.
For sure they would not even consider it as it would be illegal.
Besides, where is this long line of people queuing to get tailwheel time?
I doubt it as very few schools offer it.

You should cut me some slack on this subject photofly because I am from an era where tail wheel airplanes were the norm and nose wheel airplanes were rare in the flying training industry, so for me tail wheel airplanes are just another airplane.

I believe you fly out of the Toronto Island Airport?

My first training flight was in a Cessna 140 on June 23/1953 at that airport......I think I am getting old. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It was lownslow’s well intentioned suggestion that the OP not get an instructor rating but should instead learn to fly a Champ and do tailwheel checkouts on it, in evenings and at weekends.

It wouldn’t be illegal, because, since there’s no tailwheel rating in Canada, anyone may charge money for tailwheel training. But if you expect to charge more than the running cost of the airplane, your insurance company will consider it a commercial venture.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

aahh the minutia of the subject gets blurred in my thought process. :mrgreen:

Have they built a bridge to the airport yet or do you still have to ride the ferry?

kilo3bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilo3bravo »

Duele,

I work PT as a flight instructor and find it very enjoyable. Both my career streams are aviation-related and I am an avid reader, so my education continues to grow and I am able to stay current and informed.

While working PT, I am able to spend about 40-50 hours a month instructing (ground & air), have a relaxed lifestyle, and still enjoy all my other hobbies as well. Instructing allows me to pass along my passion and skillset to others.. and dont forget - it also pays for my flight time!

With that said, the responsibility and privilege of being a flight instructor should not be taken lightly. As instructors, we are training the next generation of pilots. I honestly believe the skills, airmanship, and professionalism we teach directly affects the safety, reputation, and public perception of our industry. It all begins with primary training.

I recommend it to anyone who's willing to put the work in. It is a job that instills lifelong learning and a great sense of satisfaction.

PM me if you ever have any questions.

avca@jvbt.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avca@jvbt.com »

Hi
Is the offer for your AIRAF study notes still open?
Thanks

flaminghotdog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaminghotdog »

It really boils down to your work ethic. I’m a part time flight instructor and how I balanced my “9-5” was ask my company to work Monday to Thursday 8-6 to fulfill the “40hr” per week then instruct Friday Saturday Sunday. What “5x5” said is true you won’t have a social life or family life but it boils down to your end goal. I was fortunate enough to have a understanding girlfriend but not everyone is that lucky.

What C.W.E said is false you won’t be stuck a class 4 “forever” I did it 3 days a week and I’ve been instructing for 8 months and im a class 3 instructor so as my previous point it boils down to your work ethic and end goal, if you’re not trying to get to the airlines/corporate then You don’t need to put in the 18 hour days I’ve put in you can control your schedule according to what you want to do

I only instruct on weekends and have 21 students on my roster simply because majority of “students” have a job during the week and can only fly weekends so yeah having students on a weekend shouldn’t be a problem.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

flaminghotdog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:31 pm
I only instruct on weekends and have 21 students on my roster …
There is an obvious question to ask concerning the quality of training and time you can possibly devote to that many students in one weekend.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

If had never did one day of instruction I still would have felt the rating was worth it. I had a hugely experienced X RCAF gentleman teaching me and I learned more than I had in all my previous training combined. I thought as a CPL I was a good pilot, then I found out how much better I could be.

Re PT Class 4. There is a huge looming instructor shortage so lack of work won’t be a problem for the foreseeable future. I can think of several part timers who have one student that’s not interested in doing it fast. They have a mutually agreed schedule fly one to two times a week in an arrangement that works for both parties.

You won’t make lots of money but I think you will enjoy the ride. Eventually you will upgrade to a Class 3 but I don’t think you will find it makes much difference.

I started like the OP but got sucked into a full time instructor job and a career in aviation.

Another life ruined by aviation :oops:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:27 pm If had never did one day of instruction I still would have felt the rating was worth it. I had a hugely experienced X RCAF gentleman teaching me and I learned more than I had in all my previous training combined. I thought as a CPL I was a good pilot, then I found out how much better I could be.

Re PT Class 4. There is a huge looming instructor shortage so lack of work won’t be a problem for the foreseeable future. I can think of several part timers who have one student that’s not interested in doing it fast. They have a mutually agreed schedule fly one to two times a week in an arrangement that works for both parties.

You won’t make lots of money but I think you will enjoy the ride. Eventually you will upgrade to a Class 3 but I don’t think you will find it makes much difference.

I started like the OP but got sucked into a full time instructor job and a career in aviation.

Another life ruined by aviation :oops:
I’d like to fly with you one day If i get the chance BPF. Like the high standard approach.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

One of the big things to look for as a new Class 4 is a CFI who actually supervises your lessons. Obviously the requirements are clear that you need to be supervised prior to each flight but there's a huge variety in what that supervision will entail. I've known of some CFI's who simply keep a record that they talked to you and authorized it prior to each flight, and sometimes not even in person but over the phone.

But to really learn and continue your development look for a CFI who will talk to you at some length prior to each flight and offer suggestions as to how best present each lesson. Also, discuss any difficulties you may be having with a given exercise and look for suggestions on how to do it differently in the airplane or clarification on any misunderstandings that can be cleaned up in the briefing room.

It demands a fair bit of time and effort for you and also your CFI. A CFI's job is already quite demanding so sometimes it's easy to shortcut the supervision and simply comply with the record keeping but this shortchanges the Class 4 and gives up the opportunity for actual learning and development.

It's a topic that has a lot of facets and to discuss it in detail takes a lot of time. Hopefully the above highlights a few of the major points and at least gives you some some things to consider.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think you have that backwards. Class IV instructors are confident they know everything. It's only as the instructor gets more and more experience that the doubt and uncertainty begin to grow. Any class 1 instructor is so full of questions that they actually need on hand a brand new class IV instructor to provide them with some of the confidence that they have lost in the intervening period.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

5x5 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:14 am Obviously the requirements are clear that you need to be supervised prior to each flight
Are they? Which requirements are these? How does a CFI with 15 class 4s on staff manage this?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Aviatard wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 am
5x5 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:14 am Obviously the requirements are clear that you need to be supervised prior to each flight
Are they? Which requirements are these? How does a CFI with 15 class 4s on staff manage this?
Obviously there are no such requirements. To answer your question it’s hard to imagine a single CFI supervising 15 trainee instructors; but at a well run FTU the CFI would have a number of class 1 or 2 instructors on staff to whom supervisory duties can be delegated.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Aviatard wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 am How does a CFI with 15 class 4s on staff manage this?
With an iron fist.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Squaretail wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 am
Aviatard wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 am How does a CFI with 15 class 4s on staff manage this?
With an iron fist.
In practice from what I have observed Class 4 supervision is more often done with a pattern of benign neglect....

Mike Flynn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mike Flynn »

A friend of mine, Mike Peare, manages to have a good time between instructing in the Vancouver area, UK and Thailand. He always moans about how poor he is but enjoys aviation on three continents.

Return to “Flight Training”