Choosing the right college program.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Havinash4768
Rank 0
Rank 0

Choosing the right college program.

Post by Havinash4768 »

Hello everyone,
I am a 17 year old high school student and eventually want to become an airline pilot. I currently have been accepted into Seneca, Sault, Confederation, Fanshawe, and Conestoga for their flight programs. In all honesty I should have waited to have done more research but I really did not have high confidence in my 95% average for some reason and wanted to apply as soon as possible. Anyways, I have ruled out Fanshawe for it's costs, and Seneca for the length of the program and quality of life. I am not that financially well of and plan to work while studying, so obviously I have to pick between the subsidized colleges. I hear that Sault college has/had a good reputation, but has waned of in recent years by quality of training. Confederation seems like a really good option as well, however they also give you no multi engine rating or IFR, so I would have to do it privately, and I'm not too keen on spending even more money. Conestoga is the wild card for me as I don't know what ratings they even give out, their website is really vague, however it is the closest to the GTA so my living expenses wouldn't be so high and it's only a 2 year program.

All in all, which college out of those three would be the best and cheapest way to get all my ratings required to get my ATPL. Any and all suggestions is greatly welcomed, and even other college programs that I could apply to. Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Choosing the right college program.

Post by rudder »

Confed + DIY multi-IFR.

Program is non- integrated so you will actually have to go out and fly prior to getting hired at a Part 705 operator.

Cheapest total cost (including living expenses) and fastest to employment.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Havinash4768 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:52 amt I really did not have high confidence in my 95% average for some reason and wanted to apply as soon as possible.
Nice flex. :lol:

Easy. Confederation college. All the college's give you the same points on an airline application. You're out a year sooner (or 2) and the one year less of tuition fees and living expenses will easily pay for your multi IFR.

You can do your m-ifr at KBM in Thunder Bay.

Havinash4768
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Havinash4768 »

So just to be sure I need both my Multi engine- and an IFR rating right? So if that is the case why not go to Conestoga where they give the multi engine rating? And by the way are you guys actually pilots? if so where do you work lol.

Havinash4768
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Havinash4768 »

Neverminded Conestoga is not subsidized 💀

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Havinash4768 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm And by the way are you guys actually pilots? if so where do you work lol.
Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Havinash4768 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm So just to be sure I need both my Multi engine- and an IFR rating right?
Yes. A multi engine rating and a group 1 instrument rating (commonly called a multi IFR).
Havinash4768 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm And by the way are you guys actually pilots?
Just a truck driver son. Just a truck driver.

BTW there's lots of long threads on this forum discussing this. Use search function.

Havinash4768
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Havinash4768 »

Okay then I think my choices are pretty set, thanks a lot guys! I guess now I just have to pray I can get my medical 💀

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Havinash4768 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:57 pm Okay then I think my choices are pretty set, thanks a lot guys! I guess now I just have to pray I can get my medical 💀
Have you booked an appointment yet? Get it done ASAP because it will be September by the time it comes in.

flyingbirdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingbirdie »

Havinash4768 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:52 am Hello everyone,
I am a 17 year old high school student and eventually want to become an airline pilot. I currently have been accepted into Seneca, Sault, Confederation, Fanshawe, and Conestoga for their flight programs. In all honesty I should have waited to have done more research but I really did not have high confidence in my 95% average for some reason and wanted to apply as soon as possible. Anyways, I have ruled out Fanshawe for it's costs, and Seneca for the length of the program and quality of life. I am not that financially well of and plan to work while studying, so obviously I have to pick between the subsidized colleges. I hear that Sault college has/had a good reputation, but has waned of in recent years by quality of training. Confederation seems like a really good option as well, however they also give you no multi engine rating or IFR, so I would have to do it privately, and I'm not too keen on spending even more money. Conestoga is the wild card for me as I don't know what ratings they even give out, their website is really vague, however it is the closest to the GTA so my living expenses wouldn't be so high and it's only a 2 year program.

All in all, which college out of those three would be the best and cheapest way to get all my ratings required to get my ATPL. Any and all suggestions is greatly welcomed, and even other college programs that I could apply to. Thank you!
Thx for asking this. I am in the same situation on the west coast but wanting to go to a subsidized program.

Havinash4768
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Havinash4768 »

Yeah just booked it today

Return to “Flight Training”