Air North

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air North

Post by wcpilot »

Hello,

Does anyone know what kind of requirements Air North has for FO's? What is the pay like? Is the pilot base Whitehorse? I never seem to see any job postings for them.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air North

Post by Pacqing »

Whitehorse is "THE" northern city to live in. I'd say not much turn over in the pilot group but I'd call them and ask. Not many places you drive a 37 or ATR, live on an acreage a 20 min drive from the airport, earn a decent wage, making lifelong friends is a bonus.

billhill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by billhill »

Yeah the Yukon is THE hidden gem. People are slowly figuring that out though. When the federal government starts pulling back on the money that finances the Yukon there will be a world of hurt on the real estate side. Because it has got to have one of the bigger bubbles in real estate. There is nowhere to live and probably 70-80 % of the working population works for the govt's in one form or another. That is spooky. But if people are already established there and have their situation worked out they probably are not leaving. Unless they run out of money.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

wcpilot wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:30 am Hello,

Does anyone know what kind of requirements Air North has for FO's? What is the pay like? Is the pilot base Whitehorse? I never seem to see any job postings for them.

Thanks!

4N is an awesome place to work. Good people, well maintained equipment and good compensation. It does have a small company vibe and some of the issues that come with that though. ( Every place has its stuff though )

As an FO, you will need to work the ramp. Whether you have 200 hours for 4000+ hours- all Fo’s Go on the ramp. You could easily work part time or full time to do this and do your 705/ 704/703 job on the side if need be. I do not know what the wait time is.. I do know turnover is very low.

This is how everyone starts out at air north. Ramp-FO- CPT.

This is a company culture thing… and it’s the way it is. I suspect it exists to weed out the prima Donna south of 60 pilots who are afraid of a bit of work. At a small company like this, everyone needs to pitch in.. additionally “ that’s not my job description” won’t go over well.

When you’re on the ramp you can apply internally for an interview when a position comes available - there’s no guarantees.

Whitehorse is an amazing city and I’d move back in 30 seconds. The outdoor life is exceptional and passes allow you to escape.. I’ve gone to the beach in YVR for the day .

As for COL.. YXY is expensive .. it’s not YVR or Yellowknife but it’s expensive..

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It definitely sounds different. Years ago I met a guy in Old Crow who was an FO on the 737, and a Captain on a Cessna 402 at the same company. Where else in the world could those two things happen?

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Not much turnover. If you can get in I'd go for it. Cost of living is pretty high, your biggest cost is rent and internet, gas is $1.80'ish currently. The housing market has dropped about 10-15% currently and will go down a bit more I think so if you're in a position to buy you could do alright.
McKinley wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:14 pm This is how everyone starts out at air north. Ramp-FO- CPT.
Nah, they hire FO's as FO's. They also have a flight attendant/ramp path as well.

Generally, the last few i've heard of, the FO's will come from either the flight school or Alkan.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I don't recall Air North ever operating a C 402 someone correct me if I'm wrong.

bueno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bueno »

recently heard air north hasn't hired any pilots in 1.5 years. can anyone confirm? I applied a few times in the past year with an ATPL and never heard back

Return to “Employment Forum”