Ground School Invites

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slottedslat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ground School Invites

Post by slottedslat »

Anybody gotten invites for the new year?
---------- ADS -----------

Yogi21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ground School Invites

Post by Yogi21 »

Ive heard a couple invites went out

slottedslat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by slottedslat »

Yogi21 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:51 pm Ive heard a couple invites went out
Which courses?

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

For foreign pilots right? :lol:

Yogi21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yogi21 »

slottedslat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:03 pm
Which courses?
Winter course

Maurice
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maurice »

Totally honest question, with most airlines looking for pilots why would someone pick Flair? Seems like the highest risk option out there besides maybe Jetlines.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Maurice wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:33 pm Totally honest question, with most airlines looking for pilots why would someone pick Flair? Seems like the highest risk option out there besides maybe Jetlines.
I'm guessing high risk, high reward. Looks at the first pilots at WS, everybody thought they were idiots and scabs at the time...

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

porcsord wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:56 am
Maurice wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:33 pm Totally honest question, with most airlines looking for pilots why would someone pick Flair? Seems like the highest risk option out there besides maybe Jetlines.
I'm guessing high risk, high reward. Looks at the first pilots at WS, everybody thought they were idiots and scabs at the time...
I remember those who went to work for Jetsgo back in the day thinking the same thing....bought into the company cool-aid and boy howdy did they reap the rewards :wink:

Gravity always wins
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Like I said. HIGH risk, high reward.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

At least you get a 737 rating if they go Tango Uniform. Makes you marketable.

How did the Mad Dog and F100 checkouts help the Jetsgo guys? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

Know a guy who got into Jetsgo from Georgian right at the beginning - a quick upgrade, and 1000Jet later, and he was off to a 747 overseas - worked out for him 8)
otoh, pyramid schemes work out very well for those first in the door...

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Totally honest answer.

Pros;
1- Competitive salary, one of the higher starting FO pay and the new tentative contact captain pay is on par with major Canadian carriers. Total 10 year compensation under the new agreement is comparable with Wetjet and AC.
Yes FO pay after year three falls off. Its; a three year agreement and we don't want to hire career or 5+ year FO's right now. Anyone with 2000+ TT will be eligible for upgrade in under three years. Upgrades right now are DEC if you have the experience or 6 months if you have 4000TT+
2 - Rapid upgrades to captain on a 737. The only other places that you can go DEC or upgrade as quickly are Lynx, Jazz, or Porter, and none pay as much as Flair and are arguably riskier.
3- 6 bases and growing across the country, live where you work, and don't commute.
4 - Rapid seniority. By your second year you'll be in the top 50% of seniority or more. No waiting ten years to hold Christmas off or get off reserve.
5- Best balance of compensation vs workilfe currently. Home every night.

Cons:
1- We're relatively new in the industry and everyone wants the "safe bet" before they commit. If you wait till we have ten years in then you lose out on many of the rapid growth benefits above.
2- Rapid growth means processes and systems need to be built. This can cause some growing pains as it all gets sorted out. Some people are not suited to a startup and will be a better fit at a slow moving large established airline.

There are only two models that work in aviation. Legacy carriers with a large business/long haul structure who really are nothing more than rewards/credit card companies and ULCC's. Anyone caught in the middle will find themselves getting squeezed from both sides. Sometimes what is familiar seems safe, and what's new seems risky even if that isn't the reality.

I have no doubt you'll be inundated with the haters counter points here in short order for you to consider as well.

Maurice
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maurice »

Someone should let Alaska know they're doomed.

The Canadian market is saturated and it's just not possible for all the currently planned capacity to come to fruition over the next few years without some collateral damage.

Difficult for me to see how after years of massive losses Flair can stay solvent with limited access to capital.

You make some good points, but I'd say very high risk, potential alright reward.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

tbaylx wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:47 pm
Totally honest answer.

Pros;
1- Competitive salary, one of the higher starting FO pay and the new tentative contact captain pay is on par with major Canadian carriers. Total 10 year compensation under the new agreement is comparable with Wetjet and AC.
Yes FO pay after year three falls off. Its; a three year agreement and we don't want to hire career or 5+ year FO's right now. Anyone with 2000+ TT will be eligible for upgrade in under three years. Upgrades right now are DEC if you have the experience or 6 months if you have 4000TT+
2 - Rapid upgrades to captain on a 737. The only other places that you can go DEC or upgrade as quickly are Lynx, Jazz, or Porter, and none pay as much as Flair and are arguably riskier.
3- 6 bases and growing across the country, live where you work, and don't commute.
4 - Rapid seniority. By your second year you'll be in the top 50% of seniority or more. No waiting ten years to hold Christmas off or get off reserve.

Cons:
1- We're relatively new in the industry and everyone wants the "safe bet" before they commit. If you wait till we have ten years in then you lose out on many of the rapid growth benefits above.
2- Rapid growth means processes and systems need to be built. This can cause some growing pains as it all gets sorted out. Some people are not suited to a startup and will be a better fit at a slow moving large established airline.

There are only two models that work in aviation. Legacy carriers with a large business/long haul structure who really are nothing more than rewards/credit card companies and ULCC's. Anyone caught in the middle will find themselves getting squeezed from both sides. Sometimes what is familiar seems safe, and what's new seems risky even if that isn't the reality.

I have no doubt you'll be inundated with the haters counter points here in short order for you to consider as well.
I like your answer but Why Flair did not decide to increase the FO salary to $89000 and lead the industry. You say its only going to take less than 3 years before they upgrade and get paid $150,000. Why not pay your FO’s who work 85+ hours and picked up loads of OT during summer a proper wage. You created a divide between Captains and FOs. Fix this issue and see how far will Flair go when everyone is happy. $89000 is the magic number.

loose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loose »

tbaylx wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:47 pm
Totally honest answer.

Pros;

Cons:

Is Flair making money yet or turning a profit from current operations? I mean expansion not supported by revenue growth is shady. Idk if it’s just me but what happens after investor funds stop pouring in, will Flair be able to sustain its size on its own revenue? Idk man…..it’s like playing poker!

maximum_max
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maximum_max »

Hey guys (and gals) how long does it normally take to hear back after the interview if you are successful?

Yogi21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yogi21 »

I believe you hear back within a month. After that its anybody’s guess. Stuck in the pool and waiting on GS date. I’m hoping it will be Feb/March for us with only 704 time.

Does anyone know where is the groundschool held?

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

My god. Mr Van life is so hard to read.

You are anything but at par with AC/WJ as much as you would like to think.

If you want a FREE 737 Type Rating - FLAIR is your best stop. I wouldn't plan to park it there.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

My god. Mr Van life is so hard to read.

If you want a FREE 737 Type Rating - FLAIR is your best stop. I wouldn't plan to park it there.

Yogi21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yogi21 »

Vanguard wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:49 pm My god. Mr Van life is so hard to read.

I completely get your frustration and agree that this contract should have been voted down. I disagree how you are attacking Tbaylx personally. I think you should take it down a notch. This is not constructive criticism. Besides I think we should appreciate that he comes on this forum and is approachable. Now can you say the same about John Aaron or your CP or AVH?

Return to “Flair Airlines”