IFR written test practice exams

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR written test practice exams

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Hello everyone :)

Everything is in the title. I have to study for the IFR written test. I've been studying what's relevant in the AIM, regulations and CAP GEN and feel like I have a good knowledge but I'd like to practice some sample exams before the D-DAY.

My problem is that I'm moving quite a lot lately and carrying books with me all the time is not really convenient. I am looking for something that would be exclusively online and that's why I'm asking to you guys. It seems pretty hard to find something reliable and not FAA but TCA.

Someone in my school recommended the website nizus to me, he used it for the private and was happy but I didn't find feedback anywhere here. Is there anyone around here that have ever used it? Is it good for the IFR?

If you have other recommendations, go ahead :D

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

Ahmaxpower
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IFR written test practice exams

Post by Ahmaxpower »

Dauntless has an app and web program for the INRAT exam. I exclusively used the web based program. Cost around $40 i believe. It has practice exams and questions that I found similar to the actual transport exam. There are different "study modes" which allows for different learning styles. one mode lets you answer questions and with an incorrect answer it will be followed up with the correct answer along with an explanation and references to regulations and laws etc . worth a look

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Canada/

Cheers

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

+1 for Dauntless

Joel98
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joel98 »

Hi Pliskin1108! Nizus has been recommended to me by my instructor and I trained on this website for my CPL and INRAT. I've found it great and the questions and program are similar to those I've found at TC. There are a lot of questions with explanations for each of them, references to TC publications, CARs and AIM, …Got good results at transport!

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sunfm »

I am in the same boat. I move around alot for work and am studying for the INRAT

I bought this app for my tablet,
It works great and has many different modes. Tons of questions, and it works offline

it was $50 but well worth it.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/ ... /inrat.asp

AntoineG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AntoineG »

Hey Pliskin!

I've been studying with both dauntless and nizus. I would personally recommend nizus over dauntless for couple points:

- Dauntless is available on PC or iphone/ipad but they do not have the software for apple computers which can be an issue for some, especially nowadays with apple popularity. I've tried on iPhone but didn't like it, screen was too small and I don't have an ipad.

- The price now. The difference between Nizus and Dauntless is that Nizus works around subscription (1,3 or 6 months) and Dauntless does not. You buy it for "life". Nizus is cheaper (probably because subscription expires)...this is totally up to you and your needs but personally I'd rather pay less and study hard for 1 month. Especially electronically...a book, you can always give it to a friend, another student, sell it...not really when it's an app.

- Finally, the way both systems are designed is slightly different. I've found nizus easier to use and more straight forward which I loved. For nizus, everything is online, you create an account (or even use the facebook connect) and everything is online (might be an issue if you were planning to study while offline). Dauntless is a software (or an app) that you download, you can therefore access it offline however, you need to update, you might have incompatibility with your system and it will use some of the memory of your device as well.

At the end of the day, both of these products are good and similar but they have some differences. It's now you to pick which one is the best for you and your expectations. You can also choose to give both a try, which will still be cheaper than buying a . book...it's the best way for you to have your own opinion about it.

Good luck with everything.

Antoine

Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's really helpful.

I guess my choice will be easy since I have a mac and I don't have an iPad yet...Thanks Antoine for your detailed comparison I couldn't wish any better :)

I'll let you guys now how it went :D

AntoineG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AntoineG »

My pleasure :)

Now get on it and nail your exam ;)

Cheers

Antoine

Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Let me at least enjoy my Sunday...probably the last one I'm taking off before studying hard :p

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Haven't looked at all the Nizus exams, but the Instructor ones were only OK. They get you into the study mode but there were a lot of questions with very poor and confusing grammar - bad translation from French. Beyond annoying a few were essentially incomprehensible. As well there were a number that were plain wrong which could perhaps be attributed to the poor translation.

Better than nothing but far from perfect.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Hey there!

A little feedback. IFR is done and passed :)

I was really happy using nizus, I don't know about the instructor one but the english of the IFR exams was good, really similar to TC.

I've seen on their facebook they are giving 30% discount at the moment. Worth to give a try guys.

MattThePilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MattThePilot »

anyone have a discount code for NIZUS? thanks

Return to “Flight Training”