THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:27 pm
EPR wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:18 pm I'm with Pelmet, he's onto something that we should be rallying around! https://www.icsc-canada.com/our-plan
Stop voting for the hairdo who hates the West and lies to his own people.

Ain’t complicated.
I have never voted for him, and I have only voted liberal once in my life. That was a few years back when I lived in a riding where the only two candidates with a realistic chance of winning were liberal and NDP. That wasn't a vote for a liberal, that was a vote to keep the NDP out.

That being said, I used to have some respect for them back in the Jean Chretien days.

I don't like Polievre much but he is the best worst in my opinion.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

You’re missing the point, though.

I’m in the energy transformation not because Greta told me to, but the numbers are compelling, are so is the security for users in this world.

Its a LT no brainer.

In the long run Oil stocks will look like Coal stocks. Dead.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:35 pm You’re missing the point, though.

I’m in the energy transformation not because Greta told me to, but the numbers are compelling, are so is the security for users in this world.

Its a LT no brainer.

Medium term is fine for me.

By the way, you might want to check coal stock performance in the last year.

I have had BHP for a long time. Great dividends every year. Year after year. Yield of 14%. Stock price goes up and down but dividends roll on in.

Benefiting from loss of Russian coal.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Its a LT no brainer.

I have had BHP for a long time. Great dividends every year. Year after year. Yield of 14%. Stock price goes up and down but dividends roll on in.

BHP is not primarily a coal stock. But thats fine. Well run co. Buffett agrees with you, bought huge in OXY. I see why and still have some exposure.

To each his own, but the energy transformation is in its infancy, and its the technology, not governments, where the breakthroughs are happening, and it will be huge.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:23 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Its a LT no brainer.

BHP is not primarily a coal stock. But thats fine. Well run co. Buffett agrees with you, bought huge in OXY. I see why and still have some exposure.

To each his own, but the energy transformation is in its infancy, and its the technology, not governments, where the breakthroughs are happening, and it will be huge.
I won’t claim it was my decision for BHP. But it is a large weighting in the portfolio.

I’m sure there will be a huge transition but it should be allowed to happen naturally without the government involvement unless there are real issues like coal pollution. Instead, governments are creating worldwide poverty which will lead to upheaval.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

The transition won't happen in our lifetime.

Keep the dirty side down.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I personally have not sought out the ESG stuff. I think a bunch feel-good funds(such as pension funds) have been doing this. I prefer to read Eric Nuttal's Twitter feed. For those asking recently in this forum.......Imperial Oil +41% YTD(plus dividends).

Why investors aren't going green

ESG investing — evaluating companies using environmental, social and governance factors — was one of the most-cited phrases in earnings calls during the first half of the year. But a looming recession, tanking stock markets and the race to US midterm elections have put those sustainability efforts on the chopping block.

What’s happening: The rapid pandemic-era uptick in ESG fund investing has now stopped completely, according to Refinitiv analysis provided exclusively to CNN Business. ESG funds in September saw their largest outflow of investor cash since the March 2020 recession.

These ESG and responsible investing funds saw assets under management peak above $8.5 trillion in late 2021. Now, they stand under $7 trillion, according to new data from Refinitiv Lipper provided exclusively to Before the Bell.

The ESG world has been ravaged by ongoing debates about the merits of sustainable investing, the challenge of determining what counts as an ESG-friendly company and the evolution of global regulations. These headwinds, combined with a gloomy economic outlook, have created a less-than-appealing environment for ESG-related funds.

Pushback from all sides: US politicians on both sides of the aisle and business leaders have accused companies of “greenwashing” their financial statements to make themselves look more environmentally friendly than they really are. Firms like asset manager DWS and Goldman Sachs have been accused recently of using the ESG label undeservedly.

In May, Elon Musk called ESG a “Scam” on Twitter after Tesla was removed from an S&P ESG index while Exxon, which has a long history of causing environmental damage, remained. That’s because ESG ratings agencies tend to rate companies against others within their industry, so oil and gas companies are rated separately from automotive companies. They might rate an oil driller very highly relative to peers, but a renewable energy company may rate poorly compared to its own.

These counterintuitive results have added to a growing movement on the political right in the United States to divest entirely from asset management firms that invest and vote with ESG values in mind. Elected officials in red states have objected to the “values” they claim these funds promote, claiming that they’re not necessarily representative of their constituents.

A large number of Republican-led states, 20 and counting, have said they will remove ESG-focused firms like BlackRock from managing assets in their state retirement plans. BlackRock has so far lost more than a billion dollars in commitments because of these changes, according to Robert Jenkins, head of Lipper Research at Refinitiv.

A debate over how to regulate ESG funds is also adding to the noisy picture. Standardizing ESG criteria will reduce investor confusion, say experts, but the current fight to do so is actually making things more confusing. More than 1,000 ESG-related regulations have been issued for the global investment industry alone, according to an analysis by Principles for Responsible Investment, a United Nations-supported group that promotes ESG issues.

The US Securities and Exchange Commission most recently required funds labeled as ESG to invest at least 80% of assets in accordance with the funds stated ESG objectives, which is a step in the right direction, according to Jenkins.

Executives at a red light: The future doesn’t look great. US companies are preparing for recession by reconsidering their approach, according to a new KPMG poll. A third of CEOs in the US said they’ve already paused or reconsidered ESG initiatives, while another 59% say they’ll reconsider their efforts soon, the annual survey found. Even so, 70% of respondents said they’ve seen ESG programs improve the financial performance of their companies.

What it means: Climate change could cost the US $2 trillion a year by 2100, according to the White House, and corporations and governments will have to make drastic changes to prevent even higher monetary and human costs. But the hurdles facing ESG investing show that doing so is easier said than done.

mkelly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mkelly »

pelmet wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:34 pm I personally have not sought out the ESG stuff. I think a bunch feel-good funds(such as pension funds) have been doing this. I prefer to read Eric Nuttal's Twitter feed. For those asking recently in this forum.......Imperial Oil +41% YTD(plus dividends).

Why investors aren't going green

ESG investing — evaluating companies using environmental, social and governance factors — was one of the most-cited phrases in earnings calls during the first half of the year. But a looming recession, tanking stock markets and the race to US midterm elections have put those sustainability efforts on the chopping block.

What’s happening: The rapid pandemic-era uptick in ESG fund investing has now stopped completely, according to Refinitiv analysis provided exclusively to CNN Business. ESG funds in September saw their largest outflow of investor cash since the March 2020 recession.

These ESG and responsible investing funds saw assets under management peak above $8.5 trillion in late 2021. Now, they stand under $7 trillion, according to new data from Refinitiv Lipper provided exclusively to Before the Bell.

The ESG world has been ravaged by ongoing debates about the merits of sustainable investing, the challenge of determining what counts as an ESG-friendly company and the evolution of global regulations. These headwinds, combined with a gloomy economic outlook, have created a less-than-appealing environment for ESG-related funds.

Pushback from all sides: US politicians on both sides of the aisle and business leaders have accused companies of “greenwashing” their financial statements to make themselves look more environmentally friendly than they really are. Firms like asset manager DWS and Goldman Sachs have been accused recently of using the ESG label undeservedly.

In May, Elon Musk called ESG a “Scam” on Twitter after Tesla was removed from an S&P ESG index while Exxon, which has a long history of causing environmental damage, remained. That’s because ESG ratings agencies tend to rate companies against others within their industry, so oil and gas companies are rated separately from automotive companies. They might rate an oil driller very highly relative to peers, but a renewable energy company may rate poorly compared to its own.

These counterintuitive results have added to a growing movement on the political right in the United States to divest entirely from asset management firms that invest and vote with ESG values in mind. Elected officials in red states have objected to the “values” they claim these funds promote, claiming that they’re not necessarily representative of their constituents.

A large number of Republican-led states, 20 and counting, have said they will remove ESG-focused firms like BlackRock from managing assets in their state retirement plans. BlackRock has so far lost more than a billion dollars in commitments because of these changes, according to Robert Jenkins, head of Lipper Research at Refinitiv.

A debate over how to regulate ESG funds is also adding to the noisy picture. Standardizing ESG criteria will reduce investor confusion, say experts, but the current fight to do so is actually making things more confusing. More than 1,000 ESG-related regulations have been issued for the global investment industry alone, according to an analysis by Principles for Responsible Investment, a United Nations-supported group that promotes ESG issues.

The US Securities and Exchange Commission most recently required funds labeled as ESG to invest at least 80% of assets in accordance with the funds stated ESG objectives, which is a step in the right direction, according to Jenkins.

Executives at a red light: The future doesn’t look great. US companies are preparing for recession by reconsidering their approach, according to a new KPMG poll. A third of CEOs in the US said they’ve already paused or reconsidered ESG initiatives, while another 59% say they’ll reconsider their efforts soon, the annual survey found. Even so, 70% of respondents said they’ve seen ESG programs improve the financial performance of their companies.

What it means: Climate change could cost the US $2 trillion a year by 2100, according to the White House, and corporations and governments will have to make drastic changes to prevent even higher monetary and human costs. But the hurdles facing ESG investing show that doing so is easier said than done.
I knew this sounded familiar...yes I get my news from CNN and FOX!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/24/inve ... index.html

Takeoff eh... hoser
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

mkelly wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:01 pm
I knew this sounded familiar...yes I get my news from CNN and FOX!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/24/inve ... index.html
Correct on the source for the article. I just realized now that I made it appear that the source was a person with a well known Twitter feed. My sloppiness for adding the news report at the end without a link.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Onesie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:20 am :rolleyes:
Pelmet still ranting his life away on avcanada to deaf ears... nothing's changed on here
Missed you Onesie and you are absolutely correct. Deaf ears, even in the face of the obvious.

Today's quote of the day to those riding the wave........

"“When you shame oil and gas investors, dismantle oil and coal-fired power plants, fail to diversify energy supplies (especially gas), oppose LNG receiving terminals, and reject nuclear power, your transition plan had better be right,” Saudi Arabian Oil Co. chief executive Amin Nasser said.

“Instead, as this crisis has shown, the plan was just a chain of sandcastles that waves of reality have washed away. And billions around the world now face the energy access and cost of living consequences that are likely to be severe and prolonged.”
Well, Pelmet, you and I have had our disagreements, but its proper to disagree in public on a public thread.

This winner Onesie sent me a vile PM. Apparently thats cool now.

You’re not worth it.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:18 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Onesie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:20 am :rolleyes:
Pelmet still ranting his life away on avcanada to deaf ears... nothing's changed on here
Missed you Onesie and you are absolutely correct. Deaf ears, even in the face of the obvious.

Today's quote of the day to those riding the wave........

"“When you shame oil and gas investors, dismantle oil and coal-fired power plants, fail to diversify energy supplies (especially gas), oppose LNG receiving terminals, and reject nuclear power, your transition plan had better be right,” Saudi Arabian Oil Co. chief executive Amin Nasser said.

“Instead, as this crisis has shown, the plan was just a chain of sandcastles that waves of reality have washed away. And billions around the world now face the energy access and cost of living consequences that are likely to be severe and prolonged.”
Well, Pelmet, you and I have had our disagreements, but its proper to disagree in public on a public thread.

This winner Onesie sent me a vile PM. Apparently thats cool now.

You’re not worth it.
He sent me some as well, if I remember correctly. Oh well. Feel free to post what he said.

As for you and me....I'm still hoping you get that speed mod on your 182. Was flying a couple of Q models myself last year(one all glass) but it looks like they both will be gone soon.

Also discovered today that companies like Blackrock promote ESG funds because they get significantly higher fees.

Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

Please try to discuss ideas rather than engage in ad hominem attacks. Take a week or so to think about that.

Return to “General Comments”