The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by tbayav8er »

Yeah, like others have said, be honest about it and explain what you learned. It's pretty hard to go an entire career without messing up on a ride. Happens to lots of us at some point.
---------- ADS -----------

Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

thank you so much for everyone's input. i guess i don't have to worry too much then.

as per PIT course, how do they decide what are the position available for that particular ground scchools? training capacity or what positions they need more pilots at that stage?

and also if they offer you a position , do u get to choose to defer ?

once again, many thanks for everyone's view here. much appreciated.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Kingair200 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:54 pm thank you so much for everyone's input. i guess i don't have to worry too much then.

as per PIT course, how do they decide what are the position available for that particular ground scchools? training capacity or what positions they need more pilots at that stage?

For your initial course, the company has the right to assign you a position. Expect this to happen if you already have time on type (737, 777, 787, etc)

You can not defer. You can quit. You can bid off of your assigned equipment once your new hire freeze is up.

Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 am
Kingair200 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:54 pm thank you so much for everyone's input. i guess i don't have to worry too much then.

For your initial course, the company has the right to assign you a position. Expect this to happen if you already have time on type (737, 777, 787, etc)

You can not defer. You can quit. You can bid off of your assigned equipment once your new hire freeze is up.
i see. what about when they email you saying your interview is successful and offering you a pit course, can you choose to defer to later date?

Also wondering if anyone did their interview early this month and hear anything from them yet?

thanks again for any inputs

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Kingair200 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:04 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 am

i see. what about when they email you saying your interview is successful and offering you a pit course, can you choose to defer to later date?

Also wondering if anyone did their interview early this month and hear anything from them yet?

thanks again for any inputs
Why would you want to defer? Depending on where you draw seniority, each course that you defer puts you 30-40 numbers down in seniority. Deferring for a month could have you almost 80 numbers below where you could have been.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Ok’ wondering if I can gleen some insight as to the method in the madness of Air Canada’s hiring.

I applied in March, update my application every month, at the time of my application I was a new captain on a 705 turboprop operator. I’m now standards captain with roughly 430hrs command on 705 operations.

I’ve had some internal pilots at AC write references on my behalf as well.

I’ve tried to find some hr contacts at air Canada via LinkedIn or suggestions, to see if there’s more I can do to make my application stand out, but haven’t been able to connect with anyone.

I do have offers from Jazz, and a few other 737 operators, but in my heart of hearts I just really want the chance to shine at Air Canada!

Is there some glaring thing I’m missing? Should I stay the course, or just go to Jazz and hope I can get there that way?

Thank you for your time and for sharing your thoughts,

2300 TT
1200 Turbine
1303 PIC

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Jetlifer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:18 pm Ok’ wondering if I can gleen some insight as to the method in the madness of Air Canada’s hiring.

I applied in March, update my application every month, at the time of my application I was a new captain on a 705 turboprop operator. I’m now standards captain with roughly 430hrs command on 705 operations.

I’ve tried to find some hr contacts at air Canada via LinkedIn or suggestions, to see if there’s more I can do to make my application stand out, but haven’t been able to connect with anyone.

I do have offers from Jazz, and a few other 737 operators, but in my heart of hearts I just really want the chance to shine at Air Canada!

Is there some glaring thing I’m missing? Should I stay the course, or just go to Jazz and hope I can get there that way?

2300 TT
1200 Turbine
1303 PIC

:lol: Good one.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:26 pm
Jetlifer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:18 pm Ok’ wondering if I can gleen some insight as to the method in the madness of Air Canada’s hiring.

2300 TT
1200 Turbine
1303 PIC

Sorry what’s so funny here?

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Oh I am very sorry. Nothing.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

2300 TT
1200 Turbine
1303 PIC
If you’ve got a good quality of life and a good paycheque right now with your 705 gig I’d stay put. But if you’re looking for a change then swoop, flair or Cargojet for the jet time would certainly help.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I'd get an education if you don't already have one. It's too late for a 3 year Aviation College so you're going to have to get a 4 year degree. I agree it's kind of funny that we are talking about someone with 2000 hours getting hired but perhaps that's a sign of the times.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:43 pm I'd get an education if you don't already have one. It's too late for a 3 year Aviation College so you're going to have to get a 4 year degree. I agree it's kind of funny that we are talking about someone with 2000 hours getting hired but perhaps that's a sign of the times.

I’ve a diploma in business that I could upgrade to a degree, but if that’s the strongest option, then maybe going to Jazz is a better option.

I know I’m not wildly high on time / experience, and believe me I’m humbled at the opportunity I’ve been afforded. 5 years ago, 3000 hours wouldn’t even get you an FO seat on a 705 operator

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Jetlifer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:41 pm
Jean-Pierre wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:26 pm

2300 TT
1200 Turbine
1303 PIC

Standards captain @ 2300TT. LOL. How the industry has fallen and got desperate.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:lol:

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Haven’t updated my application for years but been called twice for an interview and a starting date right away in december. Must be desperate I guess.
Asked the recruiter if they offer at least +250k/year working max 10 days per month for experienced pilots; why leave a job for less…but it looks like it’s everyone at 57k! That’s what a receptionist earns nowdays, even the recruiter may earn higher than a pilot…what a shame…seriously!

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

No need for them to raise the pay when lots of guys bend over and take it

orangejuice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by orangejuice »

Anyone hear of a January PIT course? / anyone been called for one in the new year?

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:05 am I was 3 months from updating my resume and references doing their thing.
They hire in waves from different companies and regimes however, I was told I was in the "to call" pile about 2 months prior to getting the email.
Have you heard back?

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

Jetlifer wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:41 pm
Daniel Cooper wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:43 pm I'd get an education if you don't already have one. It's too late for a 3 year Aviation College so you're going to have to get a 4 year degree. I agree it's kind of funny that we are talking about someone with 2000 hours getting hired but perhaps that's a sign of the times.

I’ve a diploma in business that I could upgrade to a degree, but if that’s the strongest option, then maybe going to Jazz is a better option.

I know I’m not wildly high on time / experience, and believe me I’m humbled at the opportunity I’ve been afforded. 5 years ago, 3000 hours wouldn’t even get you an FO seat on a 705 operator
No need for a diploma anymore. I wouldn’t worry about it. Unless you come from Jazz, Air Canada usually hire pilots with more experience than you (for now). Most of the guys have jet time, 4-5000 hours, come from overseas or if they come from props they usually have multiple 1000s of PIC time. I can be wrong but the reason you are not getting a call (yet) is because your experience on paper is lacking still. Keep updating your resume every 6 months. Your Standard pilot position is a big plus though, if you can get into the training department…better.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

JoeyBarton wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:23 am
DanWEC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:05 am I was 3 months from updating my resume and references doing their thing.
They hire in waves from different companies and regimes however, I was told I was in the "to call" pile about 2 months prior to getting the email.
Have you heard back?
I actually declined. After weighing all the pros and cons, spreadsheets, and a few sleepless nights I realized I'm actually much better off where I am in terms of schedule, pay, seniority and equipment. I'd be doing a 20 year reset for no reason.

It was interesting to dissect the career-long, industry-wide mentality I had that regarding AC at the apex. If I was under 30 and trying to get off an RJ, then it would a different story, but for me, with barely 20 left years to go, already on a widebody with a great schedule, the step backwards in all facets just doesn't make any sense. I was actually a bit disheartened once I had everything laid out in black and white, as I always looked forward to AC but it's just too long of a game. Believe me, hitting send on that email was a weird one, but it's nice to feel settled and no longer chasing anything. Definitely the first time for that! Now I just hope that the gamble on job security doesn't bite me... This is aviation after all. ;)

Return to “Air Canada”