Employer Reviews

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Employer Reviews

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

There is a lot of ambiguity about employers past and present for pilots and AME’s on this forum.
I think as a group of professionals, we need to keep indeed and glassdoor etc populated with accurate, current, and legally permitted information about wages and work conditions for these positions that people have occupied or occupy.
Many don’t when they leave a company for fear of legal reprisal (a possibility with some establishments). NDA’s are a deterrent if signed as well. I think there’s good information on this forum but it could be better served on employer reviews. Any other insight to this topic could help the industry.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Employer Reviews

Post by Bede »

+1

I wouldn't worry about the legal thing. Just keep it factual. NDA's are for things learned in the course of employment, not reviews about the employer.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bede wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:47 pm +1

I wouldn't worry about the legal thing. Just keep it factual. NDA's are for things learned in the course of employment, not reviews about the employer.
It depends on how the nda worded, but yes I agree keep to the facts. People are scared to leave honest reviews it seems, employers need to be held accountable for negatives and positives I think, not just the latter.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

The NDA would likely not be enforceable. A non disparagement clause may be as part of a severance agreement where you get consideration in return.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bede wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:58 pm The NDA would likely not be enforceable. A non disparagement clause may be as part of a severance agreement where you get consideration in return.
Correct, those two usually go hand in hand, generally boilerplate but enforceable nonetheless. The considerations in return are usually a confirmation of employment start and completion date nothing more.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I think more and more people are doing these. They are helpful I do agree!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I want to encourage more employees to use those resources to keep the industry well informed.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

So how would this work? Can you only leave comments on those sites once you leave the job?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pilotidentity wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:43 pm So how would this work? Can you only leave comments on those sites once you leave the job?
No they will ask if you are current or past employees on some. Others just ask how your experience is while working there. They are anonymous.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

A great idea, great employers will receive well deserved positive reviews.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pilotidentity wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:54 pm A great idea, great employers will receive well deserved positive reviews.
It works well for all employers / employees. It’s hard to weigh employers based on job descriptions on their face.
It’s constructive to have input from current and previous employees in the same or similar positions as job ads. I think reviews ensure there’s some information not in the job ads potential candidates can assess to ensure they’re a good fit. There will always be bias reviews either way but those are fairly obvious. Once there’s a large enough review pool the bulk will align with reality.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Here are the links for a few employer reviews;

Most Popular:
https://ca.indeed.com/m/
https://www.glassdoor.ca/index.htm
https://www.google.ca/maps
https://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Home

Stick to the facts and mind your HR manual and any non disparagement / disclosure agreements you may have signed. All in all these are valuable resources for employees and employers. A good employer will engage with negative feedback and make adjustments as necessary.

There are however those employers that entice or urge their employees to leave five star reviews during their annual performance evaluations etc. those are easy to spot and are usually very brief, giving little to no cons. and generally disingenuous. These reviews are usually spread out around the same month / week so as not to flag the website of false reviews. These insincere reviews also conveniently pop up in triplicate on or about the same time the company receives a negative or one star review.

Another slimy thing some employers do to combat employer review apps / websites like indeed, glassdoor etc. is have multiple identities. Slight variations in their company name, yet the same company logo is a red flag. This isn’t always done intentionally, but if you compare their reviews to competitors or similar companies it’s obvious what intentions are, whether it’s a simple name difference or ulterior motives involved.
This is populated when they post jobs online and sometimes done to spread out the negative review damage anticipated at higher turn over employers. Anticipating high turnover from the employer posting the job speaks for itself.
For example, fictional employer “Airplane” lists job ads under identities;
•Airplane Inc.
•Airplane
•Airplane airlines
•Airplane charters
•Airplane aircraft maintenance
•Airplane Aviation
•Airplane YYC

All the same company and post job ads through all seven identities. Remember no news travels faster than bad news. Usually when employees are happy they give little thought to leaving positive reviews, that’s another thing to consider.
Any given employer with 15,20, 25 job ads up for prolonged or indefinite periods of time on these sites is also cause for concern, especially when many of these positions are occupied or frequently reposted after a few months of being taken down. That is often a sign of high turnover, and cause to do more research.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Here’s a few good reads on interpretation of employer reviews;

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/fi ... ny-reviews

https://www.themuse.com/amp/advice/here ... -correctly

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Thanks for those links. I am long retired but have been curious about several companies.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

W5 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:55 pm Thanks for those links. I am long retired but have been curious about several companies.
Absolutely. The more employer reviews current and past employees participate in the better. We live in an electronic age and communication has never been so powerful. These links are great tools to find work and find what real employees experience during their employment. Employers can also see these as beneficial to adjust things as they go.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Thanks for the info, and thanks for taking the effort to post all the sites, I will check them out and encourage others to do so as well.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pilotidentity wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:09 pm Thanks for the info, and thanks for taking the effort to post all the sites, I will check them out and encourage others to do so as well.
You are welcome, I advocate these reviews for the betterment of the industry.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

It's ideas like this that could help improve working condition for pilots in Canada and there is no time like the present with the current experienced pilot shortage.

I hope to see more positive feedback on this thread as from prior reading on this site there are pages and pages of complaints of wages and conditions at many companies, and a few positive reviews as well, so please repeat that feedback on the listed sites so it is available to all.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Can’t agree more. However, I believe it should go 2 ways. Employers should be able to post about employees that can’t do their job or keep their word. I don’t believe employers have anything that keeps them doing this. They never sign an NDA with employees.

I have worked alongside a lot of people that really shouldn’t be in this industry. Yet when they get fired, they all run around and bad mouth the individual or company that turfed them for just cause.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:48 am Can’t agree more. However, I believe it should go 2 ways. Employers should be able to post about employees that can’t do their job or keep their word. I don’t believe employers have anything that keeps them doing this. They never sign an NDA with employees.

I have worked alongside a lot of people that really shouldn’t be in this industry. Yet when they get fired, they all run around and bad mouth the individual or company that turfed them for just cause.
It’s almost impossible in Canada to be fired for cause, and for it to stick in court. You have to do something really malicious or negligent to get there legally and employers with any wherewithal know that.
Even if an employee is terrible, there is progressive discipline and documentation that has to be completed before said termination. When done properly through the guidance of an employment lawyer there’s still risk of legal action from the employee.

I’ve never seen anyone fired for cause in my career, they usually just get conveniently laid off or not invited back after their contract expires. I have however witnessed constructive dismissals, where the employer has failed to comply with the contract of employment in a major respect, unilaterally changed the terms of employment or expressed a settled intention to do either thus forcing the employee to quit.

Giving bad references is a huge liability for employers, anyone with any legal experience knows that. Even positive references can leave an employer exposed if things aren’t worded just right. Libel and slander laws are more and more complicated these days especially in light of online forums like this and other outlets of electronic public medium.
Most employers when called for a reference will only confirm the employees employment role and duration at the company (good or bad employees) for these reasons.
Some potential employers will ask for that information and add “and any other comments you’d like to share”.
That’s a slimy way of digging for dirt, and employers shouldn’t engage in that type of tactic from the 80’s.

Employer reviews however should be facts only, and respecting any non disparaging/disclosure agreements potentially signed as I stated earlier in this thread.
There is always an imbalance of power between employer’s and employees, but these review sites like indeed and glassdoor are a great tool for both to make the workplace better.

Return to “General Comments”