JD Irving Ad

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

JD Irving Ad

Post by Spotify »

Ad has been up for quite some time. I think I saw it here but checked and noticed it is also on LinkedIn and it is active. Is it difficult to find guys in NB or east coast to fill a spot on even a new Falcon or 200 in this market? I feel like they are one of those top departments and top pay to boot. I’m one of those 46 that applied on LinkedIn but imagine they saw several hundred resumes.
---------- ADS -----------

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: JD Irving Ad

Post by Spotify »

Really nothing at all?

YHZCL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YHZCL »

Can confirm still seeking a driver, it’s type of place that would prefer to be short handed than to settle on just anyone.
Great group and one of if not the longest running departments in Canada. I also believe the starting pay would beat the top of the scale CA pay at any of the Sunwings /Westjet /flair

Good luck in the process.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I'm not sure what they're after but I know 2 corporate drivers one with 7000 hours and another with 10,000 hours that applied with not so much as a non-automated reply. Are the sims so backed up that they want a typed/current person?

YHZCL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YHZCL »

Again, I believe they look for the right fit in a candidate not just a high time driver. At least, that’s the way they’ve done it in the past. They would look more favourably on a driver with 5000-7000 hours and a mix of experience than a 10,000 hour pilot with most of that being strictly corporate flying. Past military or 705 time also was preferred in the past.

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spotify »

Wow thanks for that. I suppose having the Space Shuttle PPC would still apply to giving you a leg up in the hiring process. I have heard wages wise it was top shelf and happy to hear that it is a place that really takes its time when hiring.

Saint John looks awesome rain or shine. I figured there was some pool of pilots locally they had their pick at? Thanks!

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

A space shuttle PPC….no, but a King Air 200GT with Proline 21 would certainly not hurt.
Ideal candidate is someone with ties to the maritimes, well rounded flying experience ie mix of charter, corporate, airline. PIC time is important as everyone is a captain.

We have an excellent group of pilots and engineers, everyone gets along really well, so having someone who fits in is of the upmost importance. Laid back, professional and hard working.

It is a great place to work for the right person, pay is excellent and they treat us very well.

As a side note, there are 3 Irving flight departments in YSJ. JD Irving or Irving Air Service Inc. with 2 Falcon 2000LXS, and a King Air 200GT. Irving Oil with 2 Challenger 350’s and the Ocean Group with 2 Challenger 350’s.

Saint John area has come a long way in the last 10 years, great place to raise kids, relatively cheap place to buy a nice home. My commute to the airport is 10mins and I don’t see a traffic light.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

How are the winters there?

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Typical maritime winter, snow, rain, freezing rain, some fog. Some years lots of snow, some years not so much. Fairly sunny the months of Jan and Feb.

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spotify »

YHZCL wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 pm Can confirm still seeking a driver, it’s type of place that would prefer to be short handed than to settle on just anyone.
Great group and one of if not the longest running departments in Canada. I also believe the starting pay would beat the top of the scale CA pay at any of the Sunwings /Westjet /flair

Good luck in the process.

Wow very interesting. I have read Sobeys or McCain Pilots are top shelf operators and pay well above CBAA surveys too. I’ll have to look at top WJ pay! Do folks come to New Brunswick and find the weather is too much for them? Close to Halifax and a US boarder. Looks great. Not much online about them however and what there is it is all positive. Thanks for that. Getting the feeling I not quite there for age or even experience. For Nova boy. You brought up the two other flight departments. Is Cook aquaculture or NovaJet pilots ever considered for their pilot pool? I can’t find any other operators out there they those companies you listed would chose from.

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spotify »

NovaBoy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:37 am A space shuttle PPC….no, but a King Air 200GT with Proline 21 would certainly not hurt.
Ideal candidate is someone with ties to the maritimes, well rounded flying experience ie mix of charter, corporate, airline. PIC time is important as everyone is a captain.

We have an excellent group of pilots and engineers, everyone gets along really well, so having someone who fits in is of the upmost importance. Laid back, professional and hard working.

It is a great place to work for the right person, pay is excellent and they treat us very well.

As a side note, there are 3 Irving flight departments in YSJ. JD Irving or Irving Air Service Inc. with 2 Falcon 2000LXS, and a King Air 200GT. Irving Oil with 2 Challenger 350’s and the Ocean Group with 2 Challenger 350’s.

Saint John area has come a long way in the last 10 years, great place to raise kids, relatively cheap place to buy a nice home. My commute to the airport is 10mins and I don’t see a traffic light.
Thank you Novaboy, just saw my PM

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

YHZCL wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 pm Great group and one of if not the longest running departments in Canada. I also believe the starting pay would beat the top of the scale CA pay at any of the Sunwings /Westjet /flair
Above $272k? That's good pay for corporate.

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spotify »

I heard of one operator/owner in Ontario paying somewhere around $400,000. I think corporate paying north of 250 would be extremely rare. But you never know!

YHZCL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YHZCL »

Bede wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:10 pm
YHZCL wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 pm Great group and one of if not the longest running departments in Canada. I also believe the starting pay would beat the top of the scale CA pay at any of the Sunwings /Westjet /flair
Above $272k? That's good pay for corporate.
Which one of those 3 make 272k?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

YHZCL wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:24 am Which one of those 3 make 272k?
WestJet 737 captain. 787 is higher.
$222.51/hr (top captain 737) * 980 hrs/yr (minimum monthly guarantee - usually we're above MMG) + 20% westjet savings plan + $10298 (stock option replacement) + $475 (random negotiated amount for WSP to ESP conversion). I left out the profit share and owners performance award because they appear to have gone the way of the dodo.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

YHZCL,
Having just boasted about my salary, I'd be happy to trade jobs with you if Irving was based in my home town. Airline flying isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

YHZCL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YHZCL »

Bede wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:43 am YHZCL,
Having just boasted about my salary, I'd be happy to trade jobs with you if Irving was based in my home town. Airline flying isn't everything it's cracked up to be.
Well as I stated in my original post I don’t work for Irving, I also all I said was I am unsure of their exact amount but assume their salary more than those 3, sorry if I offended you with that.
But given your actual salary is approx. 206k not 272k since we were talking salary and not entire benefit package I stand by my original guess those boys are making more (salary alone).

Again, sorry if that offended you. I was only trying to help give the original poster a vague idea of salary to expect given my second hand knowledge of that operation.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Nope didn't offend me at all. I thought you worked for Irving and I think corporate flying is cool.

Total compensation (T4) is probably a better way of making an apples to apples comparison IMO. Some companies have pensions, paid benefits, etc. I think it's appropriate to include those numbers.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

NovaBoy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:37 am A space shuttle PPC….no, but a King Air 200GT with Proline 21 would certainly not hurt.

The Port City of Saint John is like a miniature Port City of Halifax as I see it. As you indicated YSJ has come a long way, cleaned up certain areas( ongoing) and has much to offer more so than Moncton/Fredericton as of late. We took in opening of Uptown Sparkles this year, fantastic time and the whole Xmas display certainly commendable. Outside towns of Rothesay and Quispamsis fine spots as well and probably get a decent size home there with space at reasonable price as compared to many other larger urban/suburban locations. A genuine lovely area of NB, can’t go wrong living there in my view. I know a few who work for JDI Ltd( not in the flight operations end) and they seem content, are paid well with benefits , it isn’t the Irving owned employee of 365/24/7 work life as some outsiders say it is.

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

I am an IAS pilot. P.M me if you have any questions concerning the current job postings or life in New Brunswick.

Last edited by Wheels on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Corporate”