Chartright

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

westernbird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chartright

Post by westernbird »

Does anyone know what a large jet captain makes yearly at Chartright?

A global or a Gulfsteam?

A midsize Jet captain?

There doesn't seem to be all that much info.

I'm looking for insight on the pay scales. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

172DDriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chartright

Post by 172DDriver »

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

westernbird wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:37 am Does anyone know what a large jet captain makes yearly at Chartright?

A global or a Gulfsteam?

A midsize Jet captain?

There doesn't seem to be all that much info.

I'm looking for insight on the pay scales. Thanks.
Nope there isn’t I just looked at all their listings. I’d guess it’ll depend on your experience and current ratings. There’s lots on this forum that know the company well hopefully they’ll chime in.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

172DDriver wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:30 am500
Lol

big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

Global guys and gals are doing anywhere from $180K-250K + bonus & per diem depending on the aircraft owner.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

big_sky wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:57 am Global guys and gals are doing anywhere from $180K-250K + bonus & per diem depending on the aircraft owner.
….. really?

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:00 am
big_sky wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:57 am Global guys and gals are doing anywhere from $180K-250K + bonus & per diem depending on the aircraft owner.
….. really?
180k seems very low for a global skipper.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am
….. really?
Ya I don’t think those numbers are right

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Any info on the GIV out cyls? Pay/schedule, owner/charter?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:50 am

….. really?
It's a fairly accurate range. Particularly junior skippers where the company has more pull with them to get a discount bonded servant for 24 months.

You're starting to see the industry Global skipper wage average trend upward, over 220k now, and I would imagine Chartright is no different. In Canada though to touch a Global, you'd better know, or you'd better blow someone.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:20 pm

It's a fairly accurate range. Particularly junior skippers where the company has more pull with them to get a discount bonded servant for 24 months.

You're starting to see the industry Global skipper wage average trend upward, over 220k now, and I would imagine Chartright is no different. In Canada though to touch a Global, you'd better know, or you'd better blow someone.
24 month bonds are what is worth the money for some companies. Once signed, some companies will leverage that debt to keep you at full throttle for the duration.
That’s exactly why I would never and have never signed a bond. “Servant” is a gentle euphemism for SLAVE. The discounted part is accurate, it’s a very high handed business strategy and completely immoral. Most people I know that have signed a bond and had that experience would never do it again. I think I mentioned I know an AME that signed a bond, saw what was happening (getting worked to death) paid it off, and gave his two weeks notice.
They fired him anyways, apparently he “set a bad precedent for the other AME staff”. Disgusting, very high handed, totally X management theory. The shiny endorsement isn’t so shiny when you’re being worked to death for two years, I hope people realize that once their ink is on the bond and promissory note.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:20 am

24 month bonds are what is worth the money for some companies. Once signed, some companies will leverage that debt to keep you at full throttle for the duration.
That’s exactly why I would never and have never signed a bond. “Servant” is a gentle euphemism for SLAVE. The discounted part is accurate, it’s a very high handed business strategy and completely immoral. Most people I know that have signed a bond and had that experience would never do it again. I think I mentioned I know an AME that signed a bond, saw what was happening (getting worked to death) paid it off, and gave his two weeks notice.
They fired him anyways, apparently he “set a bad precedent for the other AME staff”. Disgusting, very high handed, totally X management theory. The shiny endorsement isn’t so shiny when you’re being worked to death for two years, I hope people realize that once their ink is on the bond and promissory note.
I suspect given the right "terms & conditions" you or anyone else who claims they would "never" sign a bond actually would sign it in a heartbeat. The conditions of today are only a "snap shot" of that moment; condition that exist today are gone tomorrow, no one has a crystal ball you can only roll the dice and go with what comes of that.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Yes bonds can be quite sucky and take away some leverage from an employee, and I hate them. But equating it to slavery is going a bit too far. A bond doesn't mean you can't say no. Your job offer should specify some basic info as to how many hours worked etc. If an employer wants to change that significantly, then you can refuse. If they want to fire you, fine, but you likely won't be on the hook for the bond. All bonds I've read and signed always had a clause that it would be void if the company decides to terminate employment without cause.

I think it would be extremely hard for an employer to enforce a bond after they have fired you without cause.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Speed_Bird1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speed_Bird1 »

Global Captains start on $200k at Chartright. From there it’s what you negotiate.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:17 pm

Yes bonds can be quite sucky and take away some leverage from an employee, and I hate them. But equating it to slavery is going a bit too far. A bond doesn't mean you can't say no. Your job offer should specify some basic info as to how many hours worked etc. If an employer wants to change that significantly, then you can refuse. If they want to fire you, fine, but you likely won't be on the hook for the bond. All bonds I've read and signed always had a clause that it would be void if the company decides to terminate employment without cause.

I think it would be extremely hard for an employer to enforce a bond after they have fired you without cause.
I’ve seen some pretty bad relationships after a bond is signed. I’ve seen some employers push guys pretty hard after the bond was signed, I don’t think slavery is unfair in some circumstances I’ve witnessed (definitely not all). I have seen guys enjoy the work and never have issues at all, it’s the few nightmares I’ve witnessed that I learned from is all. I’m at a point in my career that I don’t need anymore endorsements nor do I want any.
When a guy signs a 50-60k bond and then the employer changes what was negotiated you can seek constructive dismissal, but it’s still not without risk of litigation. I’m just cautioning people that you can be in for a very expensive bill if you want out of a bond or years of protracted litigation, choose wisely.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:37 pm

I suspect given the right "terms & conditions" you or anyone else who claims they would "never" sign a bond actually would sign it in a heartbeat. The conditions of today are only a "snap shot" of that moment; condition that exist today are gone tomorrow, no one has a crystal ball you can only roll the dice and go with what comes of that.
Depends on how they’re written, any I’ve seen I’ve passed to my lawyer and whatever they’ve told me my risks were at the time weren’t worth it for me. I advise anyone that’s considering signing a bond to spend a few hundred bucks on an employment lawyer to review it with them so they understand what their exposures and risks are. It can be a very miserable two years or very pricy bill to get out of one once signed. I’ve only witnessed a few instances where the bond wasn’t leveraged against the employee but for the most part they are. I’ve finally almost completely got our company free of them, any that I’m forced to dish out I give the employee the same advice I’ve given here, seek legal council before signing anything.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Speed_Bird1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:56 pm Global Captains start on $200k at Chartright. From there it’s what you negotiate.
Does that company have a pay scale published somewhere?

Speed_Bird1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speed_Bird1 »

No they don’t. There are lots of variables involved based on the machine, the type of flying and frequency. Some crews hardly fly, some fly a lot and there is a large range in between. I suspect this is why many companies like this don’t have a pay scale. I’m also a believer in negotiating your own worth.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Speed_Bird1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:33 pm No they don’t. There are lots of variables involved based on the machine, the type of flying and frequency. Some crews hardly fly, some fly a lot and there is a large range in between. I suspect this is why many companies like this don’t have a pay scale. I’m also a believer in negotiating your own worth.
That’s what I always did, it’s a sales pitch on both ends of the agreement. As an employee be straightforward and sell them on what you have to offer. Don’t fluff it up, even tho lots of employers do it they won’t receive it well. Be cordial, to the point, and observe how they react. Ask the questions that you have when they’re selling you on the position, and put that in the data bank for review after then interview is over. It’s not an easy thing to teach some to read a room but it comes with experience.
This all goes with supply and demand, how desperate is the employer and or employee to fill the position. Remuneration is always the contentious part. Do your research and compare what else is offered before you make an offer or decision.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Speed_Bird1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:33 pm No they don’t. There are lots of variables involved based on the machine, the type of flying and frequency. Some crews hardly fly, some fly a lot and there is a large range in between. I suspect this is why many companies like this don’t have a pay scale. I’m also a believer in negotiating your own worth.
100% agree. I always assume what comes across the table is the absolute best case for the employer and owner. Lots of room for negotiations if you can sell yourself.

It's also important to get intel on who is in the interview pool and how you stack up. The nice thing is bizav in Canada is a pretty small, tight knit community.

Return to “Corporate”