Hiring Process Update

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gicash09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hiring Process Update

Post by Gicash09 »

Hi guys,

I just read the topics about hiring and people's experience through the hiring process here and on the WhatsApp page as well.

My question is if anybody knows if they are still hiring or doing grounds.

I did my interview 1.5 months ago, references got called 2 weeks later and since then nothing.

I have seen people that it took them 1.5 months or 2 months or even more to hear something. I have also read that usually if they reject you, you receive a PFO email in the first 2-3 weeks after the interview.

Since it has been already 1.5 months since the interview I am just wondering if there are any ground left with Sunwing.

Any info would be much appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Hiring Process Update

Post by co-joe »

Gicash09 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:54 pm Hi guys,

I did my interview 1.5 months ago, references got called 2 weeks later and since then nothing.

I have seen people that it took them 1.5 months or 2 months or even more to hear something. I have also read that usually if they reject you, you receive a PFO email in the first 2-3 weeks after the interview.

Since it has been already 1.5 months since the interview I am just wondering if there are any ground left with Sunwing.

Any info would be much appreciated.
I can't speak for current events, but when I interviewed there a few years ago I was in the hiring pool for somewhere around the 7 month mark before they called with an offer. My guess would be that if you haven't heard by march you're probably not going to hear this travel season, but that's only a guess. Lots of things could change that.

Have you emailed HR to inquire about the status of your recruitment process?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

The last planned ground school for this winter season starts Monday. There will likely be more hiring in the spring.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Sunwing just lost 64 pilots in the form of the Temporary Foreign Workers being denied. My guess is that Sunwing will scramble to pick up lift from other airlines in Canada, if they have excess capacity, or maybe there will be some further hiring. It's all up in the air right now.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:55 pm Sunwing just lost 64 pilots in the form of the Temporary Foreign Workers being denied. My guess is that Sunwing will scramble to pick up lift from other airlines in Canada, if they have excess capacity, or maybe there will be some further hiring. It's all up in the air right now.
Sunwing did not lose anything other than the wish to circumvent the pilot bargaining unit and Federal Labour Law.

Now Sunwing simply have to play by the same rules as everybody else. Interview. Hire. Train. All in a market where pilot supply is dwindling and pilot employment opportunities are increasing,

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

rudder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm
safetyfirst123 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:55 pm Sunwing just lost 64 pilots in the form of the Temporary Foreign Workers being denied. My guess is that Sunwing will scramble to pick up lift from other airlines in Canada, if they have excess capacity, or maybe there will be some further hiring. It's all up in the air right now.
Sunwing did not lose anything other than the wish to circumvent the pilot bargaining unit and Federal Labour Law.

Now Sunwing simply have to play by the same rules as everybody else. Interview. Hire. Train. All in a market where pilot supply is dwindling and pilot employment opportunities are increasing,
You are correct, but they had 64 foreign pilots trained in the simulator, half of them were already supposed to be in Canada to start flying this week. They are no longer coming. Now Sunwing is very short on pilots for the busy winter season.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm
rudder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm

You are correct, but they had 64 foreign pilots trained in the simulator, half of them were already supposed to be in Canada to start flying this week. They are no longer coming. Now Sunwing is very short on pilots for the busy winter season.
I can’t tell from your posts but this is a good thing for Sunwing pilots, there will be upgrades or a downgraded schedule!

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:27 am I can’t tell from your posts but this is a good thing for Sunwing pilots, there will be upgrades or a downgraded schedule!
In fairness, we can only speculate. This provides leverage to the pilot group, but it's also too late to crew the airline for the winter, reducing the schedule flown internally. It should increase overtime substantially though.

The good thing, as rudder mentioned above, is that Sunwing is taught a lesson for trying yet again to flout the rules. Sunwing is struggling to fill their ground schools, but that's because they've fallen well behind industry standard, and remain committed to NOT address the issue of attracting experienced pilots or retention of their current crew.

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Excellent news !! To see Sunwing try to circumvent labour laws and screw the industry only to get punched in the financial face for doing by training pilots ahead of time should teach them a lesson they won’t soon forget.

Thank you , this news made my day 👏👏👏

Just callin it like it is.
safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

.80@410 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:52 am
Excellent news !! To see Sunwing try to circumvent labour laws and screw the industry only to get punched in the financial face for doing by training pilots ahead of time should teach them a lesson they won’t soon forget.

Thank you , this news made my day 👏👏👏
It's a win for the industry! And on that note, Sunwing has posted again looking for pilots. The last ground school had 4 out of 10 spots unfilled. Go write your IATRA's, log 250 hours and check your pulse, Sunwing wants you!

belgianmoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belgianmoon »

Posting taken off

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

belgianmoon wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:45 am Posting taken off
Yeah looks like it. They have a huge backlog of training to do anyways, even without the foreign pilots coming. The good news is all the training flights for the TFW's in December can now be utilized to train the Canadians that they've hired, and get them online. In the mean time, they're contracting out flying to Canada Jetlines and others for additional lift. Hopefully they have enough crews to cope.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Fellow pilots,

Earlier this year Sunwing Airlines filed an application to use the government’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), overseen by Employment and Social Development Canada, to hire foreign pilots to fill open positions rather than make efforts to hire permanent pilots within Canada. Not only would this have fundamentally undermined pilot collective bargaining at Sunwing, it would have cracked the door open to an entirely unacceptable practice and thus impacting every pilot in this country.

In response, ALPA Canada began engaging the Federal government both at the department and political level with an extremely strong response showing that under no circumstances would we accept the granting of permission of TFWs. We launched one of our most successful Calls to Action that included a letter writing and Twitter campaign. We also launched a national paid social media campaign targeted at local Members of Parliament, relevant government Ministers’ and the Prime Minister, asking them to help protect pilot jobs by ensuring Canada’s airlines work with labour associations, like ALPA Canada, to attract and retain Canadian pilots.

Yesterday we received news that Sunwing abandoned its intention to use the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) to increase its staffing levels. While official announcements from ESDC have not been made (and may never be made if the application was withdrawn), we can be confident that our efforts were behind the ultimate outcome.

Thank you for the overwhelming support of the thousands of our members and the travelling public, who took the time to take part in our campaigns and insist that employers in Canada must bargain fair collective agreements to fill the vacancies in Canada’s flight decks. We know your voices were heard!

We wish our Sunwing colleagues at Unifor Local 7378 the best of luck as they work with their employer for fair solutions in the near future and beyond, after all, we each do better when we all do better.

In Unity

Tim Perry—ALPA Canada President

Rod Lypchuk—ALPA Canada Vice President

Ryan Leier—ALPA Canada Vice President Administration and Finance

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

What a load of shit. Thank god for ALPA. Us little unifor sunwing pilots would be lost without you.

The reason the TFW’s aren’t coming is 99% due to the Sunwing pilots/union objecting/fighting it. All the way back to June.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

ads-b wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:42 am What a load of shit. Thank god for ALPA. Us little unifor sunwing pilots would be lost without you.

The reason the TFW’s aren’t coming is 99% due to the Sunwing pilots/union objecting/fighting it. All the way back to June.
Wow, you’re welcome!
Question, is this the first time your union fought the TFWs? I’m curious because this is the first time it was successful and it’s very likely it was a combination of all efforts but really it amazes me how ungrateful people are for help.
Is it because you didn’t get credit? How do you know ALPA didn’t offer resources to unifor that were turned down or why they weren’t mentioned in the release, I would think if they worked together it would have been mentioned.
I personally sent the letter and tweet, I don’t expect thanks but given your unions past successes or lack of success from stopping it, ALPA was not about to sit back and watch, that would be the definition of insanity, wouldn’t it?

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

I never said we’re not greatfull. Just tell the story a little more accurately.

No we’ve never fought against TFW’s before. We were too busy fighting with each other. Which leads to my next point. If we didn’t oppose it this time there’d by a bunch of travel service pilots flying in Canada right now. No matter what ALPA did.

Thanks for writing your letter. It’s very appreciated, but it’s as much to do about yourself as it was for us. The more the supply curve changes, our wages go up. All of us.

Now let’s concentrate on fixing working conditions at all airlines. If you’ve read my posts you’ll see me telling unions to meet up and start talking. The delta “me to” clause is genius. Let’s get all our wages up!

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 18675309 »

I was just wondering if anyone had some info about the current hiring process and GS dates that are planned for the next couple of months.
Thanks!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

There is an in person interview and depending on your experience level also a sim eval. There are ground schools planned every month for the foreseeable future.

Ace05
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ace05 »

Hey,
I was wondering if they ever got back to you, and if so how long did they take. I did my interview in early July and still haven't heard anything back yet. Thanks

Gicash09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gicash09 »

Ace05 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:41 am Hey,
I was wondering if they ever got back to you, and if so how long did they take. I did my interview in early July and still haven't heard anything back yet. Thanks
. They called me at the end of November 2022 to start a ground at the beginning of December. My interview was at the beginning of September 2022.

As long as you did not get a PFO 6 weeks after the interview you’re in just wait for the call.

We still need a lot of FO/s right now.

Return to “Sunwing”