Working on a C registered aircraft in the states

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Working on a C registered aircraft in the states

Post by PitchLink »

all_ramped_up wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm The one time I was working on C reg company aircraft in the US, we obtained B1 Visas iirc.

They sent us with a letter from the company saying what we were doing and that we weren't working on US aircraft, being paid in Canadian dollars etc.

Was stamped at the border and carried on my way.
It doesn’t matter where it’s registered, if you’re in that country working on anything you need a work visa. It’s even more of a PITA to cross the border than ever before even with the proper visa. Never mind the PCR testing and COVID19 hotels.

So you were sent with a letter saying you weren’t working on US aircraft and being paid from a Canadian company, very similar to the instance I went down that one time and similar information was asked of me. The machine that was there was working and generating revenue from a US based client and I needed a letter of invite from them, and even then they were hesitant to let me in. Was the aircraft you were working on doing scheds in and out of the states or what was the circumstance? Were you just there to rescue an aircraft or doing routine maintenance? I take care of a few c and n registered aircraft in and out of the states and Canada and have an L1b, it’s not even a question if it’s needed or not it’s just done.
---------- ADS -----------

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:05 pm
all_ramped_up wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm The one time I was working on C reg company aircraft in the US, we obtained B1 Visas iirc.

They sent us with a letter from the company saying what we were doing and that we weren't working on US aircraft, being paid in Canadian dollars etc.

It doesn’t matter where it’s registered, if you’re in that country working on anything you need a work visa. It’s even more of a PITA to cross the border than ever before even with the proper visa. Never mind the PCR testing and COVID19 hotels.

So you were sent with a letter saying you weren’t working on US aircraft and being paid from a Canadian company, very similar to the instance I went down that one time and similar information was asked of me. The machine that was there was working and generating revenue from a US based client and I needed a letter of invite from them, and even then they were hesitant to let me in. Was the aircraft you were working on doing scheds in and out of the states or what was the circumstance? Were you just there to rescue an aircraft or doing routine maintenance? I take care of a few c and n registered aircraft in and out of the states and Canada and have an L1b, it’s not even a question if it’s needed or not it’s just done.
It was Aerial Survey work.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

all_ramped_up wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 am

Bird towing? Ya that requires a visa. The Ability to have a MIP is the caveat to things these days

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

That’s interesting. You went multiple times or just one trip? I’ve never heard of anyone working cross border without a visa legally. I know lots who were pressured to lie at the border about their actual business being “observing third party maintenance” and there just as a signature. Companies like that often ensure tools are shipped ahead of time or following the border crossing so not to get caught. I’m guessing this was a long time ago, that’s not the case anymore, even with a visa it’s a hassle getting in and out besides the pandemic crap.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

That’s interesting. You went multiple times or just one trip? I’ve never heard of anyone working cross border without a visa legally. I know lots who were pressured to lie at the border about their actual business being “observing third party maintenance” and there just as a signature. Companies like that often ensure tools are shipped ahead of time or following the border crossing so not to get caught. I’m guessing this was a long time ago, that’s not the case anymore, even with a visa it’s a hassle getting in and out besides the pandemic crap.
Some Aerial survey companies do try this crap. I don’t miss that racket one tiny bit.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Crickets 🦗. Just had another customer try this crap again with a colleague of mine that took a new job.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Had another request, I’ll pass

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:01 am Had another request, I’ll pass
I think this is becoming a more common trend with machines working south of the border. I wouldn’t do it, not for any amount of money it’s plain wrong.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

username here wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:51 pm Hi all,

I am looking for some information on whether we can go down to the states to fix one of our own aircraft. I have heard that we are not really supposed to go down there to fix our aircraft as you would be taking a job away from an American and this has something to do with the bi-lateral agreement.

We will try to make some calls to see if we can find someone locally that can help. This is usually a dead end as they will most likely not have a MIP (TCCA Supplement), on type training etc. Unless you are lucky to break down in a major hub where there is a Duncan or other large facility. I know that they will send a team or mobile service unit, but usually in my experience it is much cheaper to go myself.

Thoughts?
Requires a work visa, I don’t know of any other loopholes but working in a foreign country regardless of occupation requires a work visa.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Crossthreaded wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:10 pm

I am looking for some information on whether we can go down to the states to fix one of our own aircraft. I have heard that we are not really supposed to go down there to fix our aircraft as you would be taking a job away from an American and this has something to do with the bi-lateral agreement.

We will try to make some calls to see if we can find someone locally that can help. This is usually a dead end as they will most likely not have a MIP (TCCA Supplement), on type training etc. Unless you are lucky to break down in a major hub where there is a Duncan or other large facility. I know that they will send a team or mobile service unit, but usually in my experience it is much cheaper to go myself.

Thoughts?
Requires a work visa, I don’t know of any other loopholes but working in a foreign country regardless of occupation requires a work visa.
You can get a one off letter of invite from the customer and homeland security will issue a temporary work visa on crossing if it’s a one time thing. But if it’s something that’s scheduled ongoing work you are correct. This “management” company should know this.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:22 am

Thoughts?
You can get a one off letter of invite from the customer and homeland security will issue a temporary work visa on crossing if it’s a one time thing. But if it’s something that’s scheduled ongoing work you are correct. This “management” company should know this.
I did that once many many many moons ago. I don’t think you can anymore, homeland security is very strict with me and anyone else crossing the border for work and I’m visa’d up

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 am

I did that once many many many moons ago. I don’t think you can anymore, homeland security is very strict with me and anyone else crossing the border for work and I’m visa’d up
My company tried with me. I was turned away at the border. That was a few years ago now.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Crossthreaded wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:18 am
PitchLink wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 am

My company tried with me. I was turned away at the border. That was a few years ago now.
How recently? Bout five years ago you could under certain circumstances. But ya everyone knows me at the border now and I am visa’d up. Not something I have recent experience with, homeland security sometimes do turn pressure up on me (which is good they are doing their jobs) even with my work visa and travel history.

Manuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Manuk »

Foreign aircraft may fly in the U.S. if they have an airworthiness certificate equivalent to a U.S. standard airworthiness certificate. Otherwise, they require a Special Flight Authorization ( SFA ) as described in Title 14 CFR 91.715. This may be obtained by applying to FAA .

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Manuk wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm Foreign aircraft may fly in the U.S. if they have an airworthiness certificate equivalent to a U.S. standard airworthiness certificate. Otherwise, they require a Special Flight Authorization ( SFA ) as described in Title 14 CFR 91.715. This may be obtained by applying to FAA .
I fail to see what this has to do with maintaining a C registered aircraft on U.S. soil

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:20 am
Manuk wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm Foreign aircraft may fly in the U.S. if they have an airworthiness certificate equivalent to a U.S. standard airworthiness certificate. Otherwise, they require a Special Flight Authorization ( SFA ) as described in Title 14 CFR 91.715. This may be obtained by applying to FAA .
I fail to see what this has to do with maintaining a C registered aircraft on U.S. soil
I think he misread the post

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:16 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:20 am
I think he misread the post
Doesn’t matter, pretty sure I know who this is. Most management companies don’t expose themselves with this risk… and some, well, they live in chaos.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Has anyone found anything else that can be done in the OP situation? Just renewed my visa and was told there’s no way around it legally.

username here
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by username here »

My thread has actually started some good conversation. I don't come here as often as I used too.

I feel like most people are thinking that I want to live down in the states and work on a C reg aircraft (maybe it has a contract down there of sorts). That's not what I'm getting at. I'm curious if my C reg aircraft flies to an American airport and breaks down. Say I try to find an A&P down there to work on it, but due to MIP TCCA supplement issues (most shops don't care to jump through the hoops to get a MIP), they are unable to release the aircraft and there may not be anyone else in a reasonable distance.

Are there any rules preventing me from jumping on a commercial flight down there and fixing/releasing my own aircraft? I would be truthful with the border agents of course, that's not worth lying to them and risk further issues down the line.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

username here wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:04 pm My thread has actually started some good conversation. I don't come here as often as I used too.

I feel like most people are thinking that I want to live down in the states and work on a C reg aircraft (maybe it has a contract down there of sorts). That's not what I'm getting at. I'm curious if my C reg aircraft flies to an American airport and breaks down. Say I try to find an A&P down there to work on it, but due to MIP TCCA supplement issues (most shops don't care to jump through the hoops to get a MIP), they are unable to release the aircraft and there may not be anyone else in a reasonable distance.

Are there any rules preventing me from jumping on a commercial flight down there and fixing/releasing my own aircraft? I would be truthful with the border agents of course, that's not worth lying to them and risk further issues down the line.
We all read the thread and I don’t think anyone interpreted your original question that way. You CANNOT work on the aircraft but you may release it. That said;

CAR 571.11 (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (7), no person other than the holder of an aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) licence issued under Part IV, specifying a rating appropriate to the aeronautical product being maintained, shall sign a maintenance release as required by section 571.10.

(6) If a maintenance release is signed by a person in respect of work performed by another person, the person signing the maintenance release must personally observe the work to the extent necessary to ensure that it is performed in accordance with the requirements of any applicable standards of airworthiness and, specifically, the requirements of sections 571.02 and 571.10.

Ergo, you can have a local AME do the work or someone similarly skilled under your DIRECT supervision. The visas issued at the border are generally B1-B2 which only allows you to be on American soil in a business capacity.

What kind of aircraft we talking about here anyways? Why is it such a struggle to find someone with experience on a corporate aircraft?

Return to “Maintenance”