EVair off the run way art yvr

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

EVair off the run way art yvr

Post by Longtimer »

---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: EVair off the run way art yvr

Post by North Shore »

Hm...two pages trimmed down to one.

Tbayer, Rookie, just another canuck...take a holiday for a week or so, and simmer down. come back when you can post constructively.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

North Shore wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:28 pm Hm...two pages trimmed down to one.

Tbayer, Rookie, just another canuck...take a holiday for a week or so, and simmer down. come back when you can post constructively.
This forum usually is a better after North Shore comes in with his machete. Are you able to kill the COVID forum?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

This happened right in front of us last night. We landed right behind them on 08L. The runway was not in very good shape. I think they closed it after we landed anyways. I'm glad we were able to exit on M3. Had we gone down to M5 and exited it wouldn't have been ideal lol. We saw them drift that thing into the grass and call ground and ask for a tow truck. It looked pretty surreal. Wonder how long it took to get them out.

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

What, no Flair bashers concluding fatigue on this one??

Bwahahaha

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

karmutzen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:11 pm What, no Flair bashers concluding fatigue on this one??

Bwahahaha
But can we rule it out completely tho? O.o

KiloEcho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KiloEcho »

Wouldn't have happened if they had put on some winter tires :cool:

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

I think I remember seeing the condition code at 3/3/3 for the north runway. Wonder why they didn’t use the other one which was 5/5/5

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

780Pilot wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:26 am I think I remember seeing the condition code at 3/3/3 for the north runway. Wonder why they didn’t use the other one which was 5/5/5
Not sure but seeing as this was a taxiway excursion, it is not an issue.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

pelmet wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:32 am
780Pilot wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:26 am I think I remember seeing the condition code at 3/3/3 for the north runway. Wonder why they didn’t use the other one which was 5/5/5
Not sure but seeing as this was a taxiway excursion, it is not an issue.
Yea my bad, however it still gives some kind of unofficial indication into the friction of the taxiway they turned on.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

It was 5/5/5 when we pulled the ATIS and it was most definitely NOT 5's. Good thing we downgraded it to 3/3/3 for our landing performance.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

780Pilot wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:04 am Yea my bad, however it still gives some kind of unofficial indication into the friction of the taxiway they turned on.
Clearing runways has priority over taxiways. Taxiways may not have been cleared at all. Runway condition reports say nothing about the condition of a taxiway.

Easy to get caught out.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It is possible that they simply misidentified where to taxi if all taxiway markings were covered over.

I remember a long time ago on a night flight with an instructor in a light twin, almost taxiing onto the grass in an attempt to exit the runway toward the blue taxiway lights. I didn’t use the yellow line that exits the runway to the taxiway and went toward the blue lights too early. In addition, I didn’t utilize the double lights that are used to indicate where corners of intersections are located. The instructor jammed on the brakes and saved me from a potential double prop strike. Good lesson learned.

It is possible that this aircraft had no taxiway centreline to follow and misidentified where the taxiway actually went and therefore pointed itself toward some nearby blue lights of another taxiway.

One thing that could be useful in a long aircraft like the 777 would be to intentionally avoid the very sharp turn in such weather conditions. It requires a lot of oversteering in which the cockpit of the aircraft has to go quite far past the centreline of the adjoining taxiway before starting the turn. In slippery conditions with no taxiway markings available, it could prove challenging. One could consider pre-planning to use a taxiway exit with two 90 degree turns instead of a 30 and 150 degree turn. The taxiway at the end of the runway would likely be two 90 degree turns.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

That turn is tight at the best of times in a widebody. A hard left (120 degrees). If the nose wheel tires don’t good contact with the concrete/asphalt you’d be on the grass exactly as they were very quickly.

Exiting at the next taxiway would have been ideal in hindsight but the expectation is to exit on the high speed.

I can’t say I’d be thinking about the taxiway conditions on my approach and landing briefing.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

bobcaygeon wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:35 am Exiting at the next taxiway would have been ideal in hindsight but the expectation is to exit on the high speed.

I can’t say I’d be thinking about the taxiway conditions on my approach and landing briefing.
It is something that should be done. A taxi briefing is typically done for departure at many major airlines as well as for arrival. Depending on the situation, it may be fairly quick or take some time at complicated and unfamiliar places.. Winter operations will typically be discussed as well as there can be a bunch of different items. As Eric Jansen stated....Easy to get caught out. A briefing can make you think about these things.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”