How long to hold yvr base

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

How long to hold yvr base

Post by Malfunction »

What's the current time line to hold yvr base for a new hire?
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: How long to hold yvr base

Post by ZBBYLW »

Short answer, quickly.

Prior to COVID and post COVID once we were showing vacancies again it's been one bid generally.

If you're awarded something in PIT course that doesn't have a YVR spot you can still hold a YVR base generally on the next bid however it may take some time to train you. So try to avoid 330/220/767 in PIT and you should be good.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

ZBBYLW wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:27 am Short answer, quickly.

Prior to COVID and post COVID once we were showing vacancies again it's been one bid generally.

If you're awarded something in PIT course that doesn't have a YVR spot you can still hold a YVR base generally on the next bid however it may take some time to train you. So try to avoid 330/220/767 in PIT and you should be good.
New video by captain Keith on this

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

alkaseltzer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:08 pm

Is this the guy that charges young guys in the industry to speak with him as if he's a recruiter? Him and "captain mindset" buddy should host a dinner.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Malfunction wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:16 am What's the current time line to hold yvr base for a new hire?
I was in the late august PIT, chose A320 (as mentioned avoid 767/220) and got awarded YVR Jan 1. I’m currently in indoc so my hotels and flights are still covered by AC until my line check. My commute will likely only last all of 2 weeks and that doesn’t take into account days off after indoc which will obviously be spent at home. Very well might work out that I don’t commute at all. Next bid will have more YVR openings. 737 had a lot last bid.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Next question for commuters. I'm currently at Jazz I get 12 days of a month. Apparently yyc base is closing. The only reason i held off applying to AC. But Once a junior AC pilot is off reserve on the NB how many days at home can he expect to have. If that pilot commuted from yyc.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

I'm curious to know as well. I've heard YYC is by far the largest base for commuters especially since AC hired so many from Encore and WJ in recent years. I wonder if the commute would be quite difficult for the foreseeable future with so many living in YYC.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 am Next question for commuters. I'm currently at Jazz I get 12 days of a month. Apparently yyc base is closing. The only reason i held off applying to AC. But Once a junior AC pilot is off reserve on the NB how many days at home can he expect to have. If that pilot commuted from yyc.
Junior block holder for YVR 737&320 FO is around seniority 3800 right now.15-16 days a month with a mix of 4-6 pairings a month. I’ve never commuted before but conservatively if you work 16 days a month and commute out the day prior and day after, that’s 24-28 days a month. However, realistically I think you could go in the 20-22 days a month range.

AC is hiring into the 4400s right now with less than 100 retiring each year for the next 5 years. If the hiring slows/stops or your timing sucks you could be on reserve for awhile, which is 18 days a month plus commute. I’ve talked to a few reserve commuters who only get 3-4 days at home a month.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Curiousflyer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:38 pm
Malfunction wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 am Next question for commuters. I'm currently at Jazz I get 12 days of a month. Apparently yyc base is closing. The only reason i held off applying to AC. But Once a junior AC pilot is off reserve on the NB how many days at home can he expect to have. If that pilot commuted from yyc.
Junior block holder for YVR 737&320 FO is around seniority 3800 right now.15-16 days a month with a mix of 4-6 pairings a month. I’ve never commuted before but conservatively if you work 16 days a month and commute out the day prior and day after, that’s 24-28 days a month. However, realistically I think you could go in the 20-22 days a month range.

AC is hiring into the 4400s right now with less than 100 retiring each year for the next 5 years. If the hiring slows/stops or your timing sucks you could be on reserve for awhile, which is 18 days a month plus commute. I’ve talked to a few reserve commuters who only get 3-4 days at home a month.
Don’t add any extra days for commuting YYC/YEG-YVR. Unless you’re on reserve, you commute the day of.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

ZBBYLW wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:08 am
alkaseltzer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:08 pm

Is this the guy that charges young guys in the industry to speak with him as if he's a recruiter? Him and "captain mindset" buddy should host a dinner.
Yes. Casting couch director.

And captain Seneca joined in November ground school

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Admiral Benson »

Nov 21st and Dec 7th class had YVR 37 spots on the equipment offering. So if you have good luck the wait time is potentially zero.

Right now best case is YVR right away, and absolute worst case is a 12 month wait

Return to “Air Canada”