ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by 780Pilot »

ATPL Processed August 9 2022. Just got an email from TC today to pick up my books. Painless experience. Dropping off in person is 100% the way to go!
---------- ADS -----------

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Hello all,

I just want to pass on information I learned about logging PICUS time towards the ATPL. As per CARs 421.11 (4)(a), one might think that there is a 150 PIC requirement for the PICUS program. TC just clarified that it is NOT the case and there is no such requirement.

FreddyBomber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FreddyBomber »

I recently got my ATPL, but I work for a foreign airline, so I had to do an IPC in a Canadian airplane to complete the process. I did the flight test in a Seminole with Cornwall Aviation - if you're coming from overseas, I highly recommend them!

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 18675309 »

Good Day,
I was just wondering if anyone has submitted their documents in person either in Toronto or Hamilton, and what the wait time was?
Cheers

B737pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B737pilot »

DELETED

Last edited by B737pilot on Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teni1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teni1 »

The Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) application process requires attention to detail and thorough preparation. Tips for success include ensuring all requirements are met, including flight experience and medical certifications, and submitting a well-organized and error-free application. It is also recommended to seek guidance from experienced pilots and aviation professionals throughout the process.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Teni1 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:01 pm The Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) application process requires attention to detail and thorough preparation. Tips for success include ensuring all requirements are met, including flight experience and medical certifications, and submitting a well-organized and error-free application. It is also recommended to seek guidance from experienced pilots and aviation professionals throughout the process.
No way! Really? Lol

B737pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B737pilot »

good day

Any feedback about the procees and waiting time until signed off

thank

GarySawyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GarySawyer »

helpful information

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Submitted to a regional office on Thursday and the licensing office sent me a temp license on Tuesday (today). My books had to be sent to Hamilton and were shipped Thursday afternoon. Total wait time was 2 full business days to get the temp. If you need your ATPL immediately (for example to be released as a medevac captain) you can have management at your company give you a letter stating you require it for operational needs attached with a date you need the ATPL by and you will get a temp that is valid for 90 days very quickly. Impressive turn around time by TC on this one.

runway29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by runway29 »

I submitted my application yesterday and interestingly enough, I was offered the option to submit it by email so i'll update the outcome here when I get my ATPL completed

M12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M12 »

dm you runway29

runway29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by runway29 »

runway29 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:33 pm I submitted my application yesterday and interestingly enough, I was offered the option to submit it by email so i'll update the outcome here when I get my ATPL completed
Submitted to TC Atlantic via email on Jun 19, Approved on TC's website on Jul 31 and sticker in the mailbox on Aug 8

SA6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SA6 »

I brought my printed logbook (I use logtenpro to log) at TC's offices in Montreal on June 22, they called me today to come and pick up my binder and to sign my license, sticker should be in the mail. I wanted to signature right away, but I could have just waited for the sticker.

I have read on this tread that a PCC with a 604 carrier does not work as a group 1 renewal for the ATPL application. I personnally work for a 604 company and did a PCC in a full motion SIM and the guy told me that it was totally fine. I was on a PC12 in my previous job and my group 1 was not valid anymore. The person signing my license confirmed to me that it does not matter if its in a SIM (approved by TC) or in an actual aircraft as long as you have all the basics (SARON/SAMRA, PIC time etc..)

Hope this helps.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

SA6 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:36 pm I brought my printed logbook (I use logtenpro to log) at TC's offices in Montreal on June 22, they called me today to come and pick up my binder and to sign my license, sticker should be in the mail. I wanted to signature right away, but I could have just waited for the sticker.

I have read on this tread that a PCC with a 604 carrier does not work as a group 1 renewal for the ATPL application. I personnally work for a 604 company and did a PCC in a full motion SIM and the guy told me that it was totally fine. I was on a PC12 in my previous job and my group 1 was not valid anymore. The person signing my license confirmed to me that it does not matter if its in a SIM (approved by TC) or in an actual aircraft as long as you have all the basics (SARON/SAMRA, PIC time etc..)

Hope this helps.
Yeah the CARs say its got to be in a "Multi Engine Aircraft" however for the past 15+ years or more TC has accepted Level D Full motion sims without issue. 604, 704, 703, 705 op it doesn't matter. The letter of the law hasn't caught up with what TC actually does lol.

wcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wcpilot »

I’m getting ready to apply for my ATPL however half my time is from a former company as a copilot on a single pilot aircraft. My logbook has been certified by my old CP but doesn’t say that the hours were completed in a 2 crew environment. Is this necessary?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

wcpilot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:00 pm I’m getting ready to apply for my ATPL however half my time is from a former company as a copilot on a single pilot aircraft. My logbook has been certified by my old CP but doesn’t say that the hours were completed in a 2 crew environment. Is this necessary?
I’d submit it. Assuming you logged those hours according to the regs and according to what your last employer had been approved by the minister to do.

Not sure how in depth the person in charge of approving files will be… Although some digging could come from their end to confirm, perhaps reach out to your old CP or the new one and ask for a copy of the page in their SOP’s that approves the utilization of a second crew member if your that worried about your application bouncing back?

All the best,

TPC

Wammer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wammer »

Submitted in person to Surrey office August 23rd. Status on TC Website changed to ATPL today (August 30). Waiting to hear regarding pickup of logbook.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Wammer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:32 pm Submitted in person to Surrey office August 23rd. Status on TC Website changed to ATPL today (August 30). Waiting to hear regarding pickup of logbook.
What? Where can you see what your license is on TC’s website?

Wammer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wammer »

FishermanIvan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:46 pm
Wammer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:32 pm Submitted in person to Surrey office August 23rd. Status on TC Website changed to ATPL today (August 30). Waiting to hear regarding pickup of logbook.
What? Where can you see what your license is on TC’s website?
I’m sure there’s a better way to do it but you can access your account through this. Change your address and see your licence history.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/change ... d-services

Return to “Flight Training”