Porter part time positions?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyDrama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Porter part time positions?

Post by JohnnyDrama »

Does Porter still offer part time pilot positions?

I’m a former employee with about 4000 hours on the Q and a DHC8 ACP delegation. I know when I was there before that there were a few people working at flight safety as well as working the line.

Does anyone know if there is someone you can speak to directly these days? I think a lot of the management folks from my time have moved on.

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Porter part time positions?

Post by braaap Braap »

I think there are officially 2 line pilots that have gone part time. Another ACP semi-retired (aged out of the FAA requirements) and is now a sim instructor (not sure the entire agreement/situation there).

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

They will be calling you every day on your days off. Was considering flying on them recently but multiple flights cancelled. According to them…..pilot shortage.

Not good for commuting.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

pelmet wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:40 am They will be calling you every day on your days off. Was considering flying on them recently but multiple flights cancelled. According to them…..pilot shortage.

Not good for commuting.

Pilot shortage! How can they say that! Can’t they find enough flight instructors that have 1000 hours to fill their seats! I’m surprised that they have a pilot shortage. I’m talking to class 1 instructors that are churning out new instructors .

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

ellinas wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:38 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:40 am They will be calling you every day on your days off. Was considering flying on them recently but multiple flights cancelled. According to them…..pilot shortage.

Not good for commuting.

Pilot shortage! How can they say that! Can’t they find enough flight instructors that have 1000 hours to fill their seats! I’m surprised that they have a pilot shortage. I’m talking to class 1 instructors that are churning out new instructors .
Dude. Where have you been. All majors have vacancies….and lots of them.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:36 am

Not good for commuting.

Vacancies for pilots that have to have more than 1000 hours not 500 hour guys.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

ellinas wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:24 am
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:36 am

Vacancies for pilots that have to have more than 1000 hours not 500 hour guys.
Let me redirect you to westjet encore’s hiring page. Minimums are 250. With 500 you’re looking good. Of course with a 1000 you get your top pick. But my point is, many airlines have dropped requirements and willing to hire low time.

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... xXbnRXZz09

ameliapilote
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ameliapilote »

Last edited by ameliapilote on Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

ameliapilote wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:00 pm Does Porter prefer candidates that live near Toronto or is commuting from Quebec a real possibility
Commuting is possible. There is a commuting policy. Basically it has city pairs operated by the Q4. It needs to be revamped and will be eventually I’m sure. You get reciprocal jumpseat on other carriers from day 1. Travel on porter for yourself and family at 3 months and interline at 6.

If you commute, it’s basically on you to be at your base when required to work. If you can make that happen, won’t be an issue.

Good questions to ask during the interview. They can explain it better.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

ameliapilote wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:00 pm Does Porter prefer candidates that live near Toronto or is commuting from Quebec a real possibility
Considering they’re essentially “Toronto’s airline” yet continue to pay they’re Q drivers Toronto poverty wages they better be ok with commuters lol

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 am
Commuting is possible. There is a commuting policy. Basically it has city pairs operated by the Q4. It needs to be revamped and will be eventually I’m sure. You get reciprocal jumpseat on other carriers from day 1. Travel on porter for yourself and family at 3 months and interline at 6.

If you commute, it’s basically on you to be at your base when required to work. If you can make that happen, won’t be an issue.

Good questions to ask during the interview. They can explain it better.
Travel on Porter starts at the beginning of employment now which definitely helps. You just have to give them a couple of weeks to give you access to staff travel.

sprite2974
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sprite2974 »

What’s the schedule like for a part time pilot?
With regards to pairings, any different than the full time?

sprite2974
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sprite2974 »

What kind of schedule would part-time pilots have? Would they get the same pairings as full-time pilots? (3-4 day pairings) or is there a better chance of just getting single and 1-day pairings?

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Same pairing pool. The PBS scheduler just awards a half block before moving on to the next person

Return to “Porter Airlines”