Commuting

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blue Bin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting

Post by Blue Bin »

Are there any Flair pilots commutting out of YYC on here? If so:

Which Flair base offers the best schedule and benefits for a person commuting from CYYC? Could you provide any insight or tips that help make it manageable?

You can DM if you like.

Thank you in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Commuting

Post by flying4dollars »

There's more than a few and they are all YEG based. Geographically it makes sense. YYC base opens in April.

Blue Bin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Blue Bin »

Thank you for the reply.

You're right; geographically, it makes sense.

I spent almost 10 years commuting in a multi-base airline. While some bases made more sense geographically, a further commute sometimes made more sense logistically - i.e. more affordable personal accommodation, preferable seniority, multi-day flying, which cut down on commuting expenses, etc.

Which Flair base would offer better multi-day options? Or is the scheduling pretty much comparable throughout all bases?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Blue Bin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:42 am Thank you for the reply.

You're right; geographically, it makes sense.

I spent almost 10 years commuting in a multi-base airline. While some bases made more sense geographically, a further commute sometimes made more sense logistically - i.e. more affordable personal accommodation, preferable seniority, multi-day flying, which cut down on commuting expenses, etc.

Which Flair base would offer better multi-day options? Or is the scheduling pretty much comparable throughout all bases?
We're opening a YYC base in April and there should be positions available for new hires after all current pilots who want to move take positions.

The easiest commute in the meantime is from YVR or YEG. YEG affords the opportunity to drive if flights are full so is likely the better option.

Scheduling is almost all single-day pairings so it's approximately equal between bases. YVR has a greater variety of single day pairing, however.

Blue Bin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Blue Bin »

I appreciate that response; thank you!

I was leaning towards YEG initially. Based on your advice, I'll pursue that as my 1st bid.

Does Flair have jump seat options with other carriers?

Also, do the YEG commuters have preferred hotels or know of available crash pads? You can DM if you like.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Blue Bin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:43 pm I appreciate that response; thank you!

I was leaning towards YEG initially. Based on your advice, I'll pursue that as my 1st bid.

Does Flair have jump seat options with other carriers?

Also, do the YEG commuters have preferred hotels or know of available crash pads? You can DM if you like.
Flair has reciprocal jumpseat agreements from day 1 with many major carriers and several smaller regional carriers in the US and Canada. Crew are able to utilize crew rates at our crew hotel in YEG.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Is there a commuting policy as well with flair? Something like trying to make 2-3 flights and no fault if you can’t get on?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

fixnfly wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:12 pm Is there a commuting policy as well with flair? Something like trying to make 2-3 flights and no fault if you can’t get on?
We implemented that during COVID as an unofficial policy. That will likely be formalized in the new contract

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

Would commuting from say, Kelowna, to YVR be doable?

WRT the schedule, can you load several days (what's the max?) in a row to reduce commuting? How many days a bid period are folks typically working?

Thanks.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 am
fixnfly wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:12 pm Is there a commuting policy as well with flair? Something like trying to make 2-3 flights and no fault if you can’t get on?
We implemented that during COVID as an unofficial policy. That will likely be formalized in the new contract
Yes true to his word, that has been formalized in the new CBA
pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:06 pm Would commuting from say, Kelowna, to YVR be doable?

WRT the schedule, can you load several days (what's the max?) in a row to reduce commuting? How many days a bid period are folks typically working?

Thanks.
Yes ylw-yvr commute is possible. We have a handful of people doing that already. They are a tough bunch, during the forest fires, several of them had to drive, and then during the flood, several of them were trapped in yvr. Once the yyc base is in full swing I would anticipate more frequency between yyc and ylw so that may be an option as well.

Aanitanixon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aanitanixon »

There are already a few of us doing it. They are a hardy group; several of them had to drive during the forest fires, and then during the flood, several of them were trapped in Yvr. It's possible that there will be increased frequency between yyc and ylw once the yyc base is fully operational.

Return to “Flair Airlines”