Flying Jumpseat (Stby) in Europe using a Canadian RAIC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flying Jumpseat (Stby) in Europe using a Canadian RAIC

Post by Dronepiper »

Hello!

I know this sounds crazy, but:

I have heard that you can go to any European airline counter in Europe and tell “I’d like to register as extra crew,” show them your Canadian RAIC and License, and they will register you for free as a standby passenger on whichever flight you desire. Has anyone tried this?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flying Jumpseat (Stby) in Europe using a Canadian RAIC

Post by digits_ »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 pm Hello!

I have heard that you can go to any European airline counter in Europe and tell “I’d like to register as extra crew,” show them your Canadian RAIC and License, and they will register you for free as a standby passenger on whichever flight you desire. Has anyone tried this?
Seems extremely unlikely. Some European pilot friends have to go through the my travel id equivalent website to fly standby on their own airline. I doubt they would just allow any Canadian pilot.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Eric Janson would be a good person to ask here.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 pm Hello!

If it sounds crazy - that's because it is!

You will not be able to do this. Nobody knows what a Canadian RAIC is outside of Canada.

Stick to the normal IDXX or Z tickets.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

It depends. I've done it only twice, actually sitting in the jumpseat. Once with Carpatair (Saab 2000) from Munich to Timisoara, Romania and once on TAROM 737 from Bucharest to Amsterdam. In one instance I asked the captain and he agreed and the 2nd time the captain actually offered it when he heard I'm a pilot from Canada.

One time I was trying to fly from Frankfurt to Munich on Lufthansa and the gate agent said I'm 3rd in line for the jumpseat behind two Lufthansa pilots. Unfortunately I never made that flight so I'm not sure they would have actually let me sit in it. I flew once on Swiss, from Zurich to Montreal in the F/A jumpseat.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

You will not be able to do this. Nobody knows what a Canadian RAIC is outside of Canada.
This.

I hold a German RAIC pass, and it's not even accepted at a different German airport than that to which it was issued. My experience as a six year German RAIC pass holder is that Europe is monumentally strict about the use of RAIC passes. I suggest that you're asking for trouble stepping into the security grey zone in Europe.

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

One of my Transat colleagues jumpseated on Air France for free by using his Canadian RAIC not too long ago. It was on a flight from Paris to Asia. he listed himself right at the checkin counter, no MyIDtravel required...

So it DOES happen!

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

termerair wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:03 pm One of my Transat colleagues jumpseated on Air France for free by using his Canadian RAIC not too long ago. It was on a flight from Paris to Asia. he listed himself right at the checkin counter, no MyIDtravel required...

So it DOES happen!
See this is what I am talking about. I don’t understand how this works because this is not the first time I have heard about this

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Dronepiper wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 pm
termerair wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:03 pm One of my Transat colleagues jumpseated on Air France for free by using his Canadian RAIC not too long ago. It was on a flight from Paris to Asia. he listed himself right at the checkin counter, no MyIDtravel required...

So it DOES happen!
See this is what I am talking about. I don’t understand how this works because this is not the first time I have heard about this
Well, I don't know how it works either... But what I do know is that "we" make things way too complicated sometimes... Keep things simple if you want things to be simple!

Did you know for instance that stand by's (all of them including relatives, etc) at Air France can actually occupy a cabin jumpseat if the flight is full (on any flight, even long haul!)... Never heard of this at a Canadian company when it seems to be fairly simple to put in place...

It looks like, for once, the french are able to think a bit more outside of the box...

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Its a common practice in Spain, however completely dependent on the captain of the flight. They wont care about the Raic, just your license and Company Id. The biggest issue will be to go through security and CSA to get to the plane and actually ask the Captain directly, every airport in Spain has its own unique trick to do it.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

CXALE wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:11 am Its a common practice in Spain, however completely dependent on the captain of the flight. They wont care about the Raic, just your license and Company Id. The biggest issue will be to go through security and CSA to get to the plane and actually ask the Captain directly, every airport in Spain has its own unique trick to do it.
[/quot
CXALE wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:11 am Its a common practice in Spain, however completely dependent on the captain of the flight. They wont care about the Raic, just your license and Company Id. The biggest issue will be to go through security and CSA to get to the plane and actually ask the Captain directly, every airport in Spain has its own unique trick to do it.
I tried this at Malaga airport in Spain, what you could do to get through security is list on myid for a flight then just cancel it after. I still never got the jumpseat. L

Return to “General Comments”