HIMS and mental health in Canadian aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

HIMS and mental health in Canadian aviation

Post by PodPilotProject »

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me to learn about something within the Canadian aviation infrastructure. Shortly I will be having two hosts from an American aviation podcast, the pilots pandemic, on my show. We are going to be discussing mental health and potentially addiction as it fits within Canadian aviation. Can anyone tell me how potential addiction or mental health issues are treated in the civilian world? I’m familiar with the military, but not the civilian world, and my guests bring an American perspective. I have tried looking up if we have a HIMS program, but I haven’t gotten anything.

Keep the blue side up!
---------- ADS -----------

The Pilot Project Podcast
Listen on your favourite platform
Facebook, Instagram
@podpilotproject on Tiktok and Twitter
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: HIMS and mental health in Canadian aviation

Post by photofly »

Isn't that something you'd want to research in significant depth further ahead than "shortly"? If the sum total of your research is a couple of Google searches then asking on AvCanada then it sounds like listeners to your podcast could save themselves some time and just read this thread rather than listening to your content.

Or maybe you're just trolling for an audience - it's not like you're hiding all the links to your various social media profiles in your post, so who can say.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

photofly wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:54 pm Isn't that something you'd want to research in significant depth further ahead than "shortly"? If the sum total of your research is a couple of Google searches then asking on AvCanada then it sounds like listeners to your podcast could save themselves some time and just read this thread rather than listening to your content.

Or maybe you're just trolling for an audience - it's not like you're hiding all the links to your various social media profiles in your post, so who can say.
Suppose I should have been more clear: in this case, “shortly” means in the next month or two. Thanks for the helpful reply!

Facebook, Instagram
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There's a limited amount of information on mental health issues available here:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/public ... atry-ssris

And here:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/aviati ... canada-tsb
(see the section titled "1. TC’s Civil Aviation Medical Substance Abuse Protocol")

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

Now this, I appreciate. Thank you.

Facebook, Instagram
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

The US and Transport Canada treat mental health issues in pilots very differently. As mental health issues, especially mild depression and general anxiety are better understood, talked about and treated in most everyday life, Transport Canada seems to be in the 1980s in its treatment of mental health. However, the FAA seems to be in the 1950s!

While I will be the first to admit that severe mental health issues should indeed preclude someone from flying, medical literature is very clear that clear and open communication with a medical professional and getting treatment that may include medications such as SSRIs is extremely helpful for mild depression and anxiety, the HIMS program and TC's handling are decades behind.

Photofly put out some good info. HIMS does not exist in Canada. Very generally speaking, pilots in Canada can still fly with mild mental health issues but it's on a case by case basis. However, things get trickier when medication is involved. The most common medications for mild depression and anxiety, SSRIs are generally approved for use by Transport Canada though my understanding is that the vast majority of the time, pilots are required to have a "multi-crew restriction" on their medical. They are also grounded for a period of 4 to 6 months while they first start the medication as some SSRIs do cause dizziness and it can take a few months for a person to stabilize on the medication.

It's been a while since I looked into the FAA's system, but it's interesting to note that when I was last looking into things, the FAA does not have a provision for a "multi-crew restriction". A long time ago they had tried to implement one (with the requirement that the pilot you are flying with does not have the same restriction). Apparently Continental Airlines sued and won as such restrictions would interfere with their scheduling abilities (talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face).

It does sound like in both Canada and the US things are very slowly improving.

It's important for Pilots to know that, especially once established in their career, they can keep flying if they start having mild mental health concerns. However, if treatment does involve medication, there will be a time where they are grounded until they stabilize on the medication.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

PodPilotProject wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:49 pm Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me to learn about something within the Canadian aviation infrastructure. Shortly I will be having two hosts from an American aviation podcast, the pilots pandemic, on my show. We are going to be discussing mental health and potentially addiction as it fits within Canadian aviation. Can anyone tell me how potential addiction or mental health issues are treated in the civilian world? I’m familiar with the military, but not the civilian world, and my guests bring an American perspective. I have tried looking up if we have a HIMS program, but I haven’t gotten anything.

Keep the blue side up!
Sent you a PM with a few leads you may want to follow in your research.

PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

Scuderia wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:55 pm
PodPilotProject wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:49 pm Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me to learn about something within the Canadian aviation infrastructure. Shortly I will be having two hosts from an American aviation podcast, the pilots pandemic, on my show. We are going to be discussing mental health and potentially addiction as it fits within Canadian aviation. Can anyone tell me how potential addiction or mental health issues are treated in the civilian world? I’m familiar with the military, but not the civilian world, and my guests bring an American perspective. I have tried looking up if we have a HIMS program, but I haven’t gotten anything.

Keep the blue side up!
Sent you a PM with a few leads you may want to follow in your research.
responded! Thanks so much for the info, extremely helpful for research.

Facebook, Instagram
PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

JBI wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:41 pm The US and Transport Canada treat mental health issues in pilots very differently. As mental health issues, especially mild depression and general anxiety are better understood, talked about and treated in most everyday life, Transport Canada seems to be in the 1980s in its treatment of mental health. However, the FAA seems to be in the 1950s!

While I will be the first to admit that severe mental health issues should indeed preclude someone from flying, medical literature is very clear that clear and open communication with a medical professional and getting treatment that may include medications such as SSRIs is extremely helpful for mild depression and anxiety, the HIMS program and TC's handling are decades behind.

Photofly put out some good info. HIMS does not exist in Canada. Very generally speaking, pilots in Canada can still fly with mild mental health issues but it's on a case by case basis. However, things get trickier when medication is involved. The most common medications for mild depression and anxiety, SSRIs are generally approved for use by Transport Canada though my understanding is that the vast majority of the time, pilots are required to have a "multi-crew restriction" on their medical. They are also grounded for a period of 4 to 6 months while they first start the medication as some SSRIs do cause dizziness and it can take a few months for a person to stabilize on the medication.

It's been a while since I looked into the FAA's system, but it's interesting to note that when I was last looking into things, the FAA does not have a provision for a "multi-crew restriction". A long time ago they had tried to implement one (with the requirement that the pilot you are flying with does not have the same restriction). Apparently Continental Airlines sued and won as such restrictions would interfere with their scheduling abilities (talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face).

It does sound like in both Canada and the US things are very slowly improving.

It's important for Pilots to know that, especially once established in their career, they can keep flying if they start having mild mental health concerns. However, if treatment does involve medication, there will be a time where they are grounded until they stabilize on the medication.
Thanks for the helpful reply!

Facebook, Instagram
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sorry, what's HIMS? Tried to google. Its a brand that sells products for hair loss and erectile dysfunction, but I assume that's not what we're discussing.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:07 am Sorry, what's HIMS? Tried to google. Its a brand that sells products for hair loss and erectile dysfunction, but I assume that's not what we're discussing.
https://himsprogram.com/about-hims/

PodPilotProject
Rank 0
Rank 0

photofly wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:11 pm There's a limited amount of information on mental health issues available here:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/public ... atry-ssris

And here:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/aviati ... canada-tsb
(see the section titled "1. TC’s Civil Aviation Medical Substance Abuse Protocol")
That was great, useful material, thank you. I made some notes I can carry forward into these interviews. Truly appreciate it!

Facebook, Instagram

Return to “General Comments”