Converting FAA ATPL to TC ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

sirscarecrow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Converting FAA ATPL to TC ATPL

Post by sirscarecrow »

Dear all,

After searching 1 hour on the internet, and having found mostly sources from 2009 and earlier, I decided to inquire regarding converting my FAA ATPL license to the TC ATPL license, but I did do my research already, but I still have some questions that would be great if you guys could help out.

1. To convert FAA ATPL to TC ATPL you need to first have your medical, which can be done even outside of Canada. First question, I do not have a 1st class FAA medical, as I did not fly in the past four years, would I need to have a FAA medical first before attempting to do the TC medical ?

2. Once I passed the medical and sign up with the medical or pilot code (what people referred to when I did my research), I need to do the 25 question test. I called 5 major Canadian pilot shops, and spoke with four flight schools, none had any idea (I was totally surprised), regarding what the best book or study course is? I was told it will be all about Air Law? But then again, I have a total of 7 type ratings, 3 foreign ATPL licenses, and all I can tell you that at this point Air Law is probably the most confusing when taking tests, so I rather just memorize the answers for the time being to pass the test and start actually focusing 100% on air law once I would be actually maybe even flying there. What is the best short cut, best book, course in this case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. At last, I read by accident now, that FAA SIC (second in command) licenses, apparently get carried over to the TC license as a regular PIC license or type rating that is, since in Canada no SIC is used. I read on several sources that this is the case, but they were 2012 and older, any ideas/infos here?

Guys, any help in this regard would greatly be appreciated. I am sorry if this has already been brought up, I really did not find any recent info on this, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just didn't find it. Thanks in advanced !
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Converting FAA ATPL to TC ATPL

Post by photofly »

sirscarecrow wrote:I have a total of 7 type ratings, 3 foreign ATPL licenses, and all I can tell you that at this point Air Law is probably the most confusing when taking tests, so I rather just memorize the answers for the time being to pass the test ...
Obviously you're the Ace of the Base, but how wise do you think it is to announce your greatness on a Canadian aviation site at the same time boasting of your disregard for knowing anything about the laws of flying in Canada?

Want a Canadian licence? Knuckle down and learn the rules like everyone else here has to do.

The requirements are here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca- ... SUE-02.pdf

And the exam guide is here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca- ... P_690E.pdf

"The FAAAA examination is based on subjects contained in the AIR LAW AND PROCEDURES section of this Study and Reference Guide. Candidates should read the recommended references on pages 33 and 34 as they apply to aeroplanes)."

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
sirscarecrow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sirscarecrow »

first of all, I am not an ace of a base, and after dealing with way more experienced pilots than myself, they have actually had a much worse time in this regard. They have been doing all their lives, tests after tests, in each country (even between European countries), so they ended up being some of the most confused, not knowing which air law they were flying under, and after a few years, after I have thought of them strange to state that (as you thought of me), I actually see their point. For people to convert license and do air law tests, yes, you end up with the crap salaries we have, to go on cross-atlantic/pacific trips, spending thousands of dollars on air fare and crap hotels that we FOs after so many years can afford, so yes, I rather study a booklet with the answers to the test, and then once I move for sure, sit down and study the laws more than for sure many other pilots, but fact is, if I am to spend again, thousands of dollars to get a test done, I will try to seek as much info on it as possible to get it done. I hope you can learn from this. I am not boasting how great I am, if I was born again in my next life, the last thing I would want to do is fly as a main job, believe me. I am tired, tired of spending so much money all the time on keep trying to find a more stable aviation job position and given the ratings and licenses as well as type ratings that I have, can be seen as the proof to that... ace of the base, man, if I wish that term would even exist. Anyway, other than that, thanks for the links and sorry for anyone else I apparently might have offended...I mean it.

On a side note. About 9 out of 10 pilots, no matter what test they study for, they study the question banks. Be it ASA/GLEIM for FAA, or OAT training or whatever other gold mine these days is in control of the JAA question data bank, that is what pilots focus 99% of their time on, to pass those at many times, odd questions. But then again in regards of how pilots usually study to pass exams, well, I am also a diver, and this reminds me of what divers usually say regarding peeing in their wet suit in cold waters, there are two sorts, the ones that admit it and the others that lie about it. Same goes for studying the questions, every pilot so far I asked, EVEN IN FLIGHT SCHOOLS IN CANADA, all told me to buy books and study the apparent exact same questions, and all I wanted to ask here, is if there is a specific question data bank for the conversion...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Unlike in the Good ol USA, there's no question bank. Transport Canada expects you to learn the material, from the sources they give you in the guide. The questions are kept secret until you have to answer them.

Third party publishers sell their own online and printed material for training. Including questions of their own devising that more or less match TC's ones. If you read the guide to which I posted the link you'll see the FAA conversion exam is a subset of the SARON exam. Search this forum for questions on which material is good for that, but only a small proportion will be relevant to you.

I'm sorry your life as a pilot is so crap and you're being forced to get a TCCA licence against your will. It must really suck.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
sirscarecrow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sirscarecrow »

The strange thing is, the few flight schools I did visit, they all told me that there were books with the exact same questions and answers, similar to the FAA's GLEIM/ASA versions. Chief flight instructors and others told me that, so therefore the reason for me to post this, was because I just wanted to ask if there is a similar book or so, specializing with conversions.

Also, no offense, but you have to be a bit careful when assuming things. First, you assumed I was an ace of a base, then you assume that I am getting a TCCA license against my will, which is again, inaccurate.

As a pilot, I want to expand my working environments. Apparently, Canada is undergoing a state of significant growth, so CA needs more of everything, teachers, pilots, etc. Therefore, at one point applying for a job in that beautiful country with some of the kindest and warmest people I ever met, is to me not out of question. That is why I thought to maybe do the TC ATPL license as well, as airline jobs don't really interest me, but flying smaller aircraft there as a profession would. So I wanted to have the license, in case when I do apply, that I then have it. All the places I went in my trip to CA showed interest not only in giving me a job right away because of my experience, but also helping me get introduced to other people but all of them said that I needed my TC license, only then perhaps they could do a sponsorship, since beautiful CA is willing to make immigration for educated, and experienced hard working people more easy, especially with a job offer. Because like most other co-pilots in this world (the ones that had no rich parents to pay them training), we suffer from bills to pay, and from the money games of airlines. I will not go into details and I really hope to all of you that read this, that what happened to my friends and me in my three previous airlines will never happen to you, I mean, I am talking about you being played badly here, but again, I will not get into this, but I will NEVER fly in any airline again, don't care how great it is, I am done.

If I would be offered a job for real in CA, then I will hit the books like there is no tomorrow, and forget this crap JAA (most confusing, conflicting, annoying and expensive) license here and air laws, and dedicate a brutal amount of time to make sure I meet all the requirements of TC by a milestone, but fact is, prior to that being even possible to happen, I need a TC license and a job offer, and until that point, as an experienced pilot, I want to get things done fast and while saving up as much of the little money I have as possible. Again, once the job offer stands, you might as well give me an examiner job as I will know at least as much as him/her, that much studies will I put into it.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I wish this site had a gong emoji!

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Tylerjohnston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tylerjohnston »

I wouldn't take it very lightly, I just finished converting my FAA CPL + IR. Its a lot more difficult than you would actually think. I would highly recommend this website http://pilottraining.ca/store/ It will cost you $100 for the ATP course, but totally worth it.

avi8canuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avi8canuck »

Old thread, but I'm in the same situation. He's not some newbie looking for a shortcut, that's why he stated his credentials. I'm learning as well that trying to maintain multiple ATPLs is a nightmare. Hours wasted online, on the phone and many dead ends, not to mention $$. WE ALL know that we are required to understand the regulations, we're just trying to stay on top of things and remain employed. Other than the links to pertinent info, you come across a rather difficult person.
photofly wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:15 pm
sirscarecrow wrote:I have a total of 7 type ratings, 3 foreign ATPL licenses, and all I can tell you that at this point Air Law is probably the most confusing when taking tests, so I rather just memorize the answers for the time being to pass the test ...
Obviously you're the Ace of the Base, but how wise do you think it is to announce your greatness on a Canadian aviation site at the same time boasting of your disregard for knowing anything about the laws of flying in Canada?

Want a Canadian licence? Knuckle down and learn the rules like everyone else here has to do.

The requirements are here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca- ... SUE-02.pdf

And the exam guide is here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca- ... P_690E.pdf

"The FAAAA examination is based on subjects contained in the AIR LAW AND PROCEDURES section of this Study and Reference Guide. Candidates should read the recommended references on pages 33 and 34 as they apply to aeroplanes)."

Return to “Flight Training”