Advices on training plan, should I get more than a CPL ?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Yojnei
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advices on training plan, should I get more than a CPL ?

Post by Yojnei »

Hi!
I'm a 23 french ppl holder with 70 hours willing to work as a bush pilot in canada, ideally on foatplanes. I'm fully aware that the path is full of pitfalls but i'm not really interested in an airline job for the moment.
Before moving on, I would like to be enlightened about my project by people who know the bush word and to get ad many opinions as possible to forge mine!
Here are my thoughts:

1) Since the bush mainly operates on single engine aircraft in VFR condition, is it reasonnable to only get my CPL (+foat rating and time building) to get a job ? Maybe i'm wrong but isn't a ME/IR a waste of money if i'll not use those ratings for years (and i'll have to pay for keeping them up to date).

2) I don't think doing the CPL on float is worth the extra money compared to wheels

3) I'd like to know to which extent could the choice of a flight school impact my chances of getting a pilot/ramp position ? Besides meeting the good personn at the right time, is there some flight schools that are more bush oriented ? I only have Airhart aviation in sight.

4) As bush operations are mainly seasonal, what would a pilot do the other 6 months of the year ? Is there as much opportunities to work in the winter as a bush pilot or should I get extra ratings to stay employable ?

5) I've read on that forum that I shouldn't go for those 50 hours float plane rating

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Advices on training plan, should I get more than a CPL ?

Post by North Shore »

It's been a while since I was in the float/bush end of the industry, so my info might be a little outdated?

1) Since the bush mainly operates on single engine aircraft in VFR condition, is it reasonnable to only get my CPL (+foat rating and time building) to get a job ? Maybe i'm wrong but isn't a ME/IR a waste of money if i'll not use those ratings for years (and i'll have to pay for keeping them up to date). That's a reasonable plan. From my own experience, I struggled somewhat with my intial multi/IFr, but when I went back to it 2 years and 750 hours later, it was way easier...plus, I'd earned some money, so it was a bit easier financially..

2) I don't think doing the CPL on float is worth the extra money compared to wheels
More hours = more experience. When you are looking for a first float job, the more 'experience' you have, the better.

3) I'd like to know to which extent could the choice of a flight school impact my chances of getting a pilot/ramp position ? Besides meeting the good personn at the right time, is there some flight schools that are more bush oriented ? I only have Airhart aviation in sight.
I think that one school is pretty much the same as another. Again, hours is hours. Sudbury Aviation was/is good, also Dave Budd at Ocean Air out in Victoria.

4) As bush operations are mainly seasonal, what would a pilot do the other 6 months of the year ? Is there as much opportunities to work in the winter as a bush pilot or should I get extra ratings to stay employable ?
I ski instructed for two years. The first company I worked for did some work on skis, and I would have stuck around for that, but the company lost its OC shortly after freeze-up. That being said, one thing would be to look for a company that has some twins as well as floats - so fly floats in the summer, then go get your M/IFR over freeze up, and come back and fly multi for for the winter.

5) I've read on that forum that I shouldn't go for those 50 hours float plane rating
See 2.) above.

Bonne chance!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

Go and talk to True North Air in Sudbury (AKA Sudbury Aviation) they will help you out.Bush course and float time.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Don't waste your money on MIFR if you want to fly floats- but I would do your CPL on floats. It's only marginally more money and you'll have a much better chance of getting a job right away.

The people in Sudbury and Orillia seemed nice when I flew through a few years ago.

Good luck!

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

I've been on the hiring end of things for a while and I would agree that, if you're going for a float job, the more float hours the better. The bush environment can be vey challenging. The operators know that and are much more inclined to hire someone with more than a bare minimum float endorsement.
Look for an operator that has a mix of wheels and floats in their fleet if you want a year round job and, possibly most important, be willing to do more than just fly the plane!

Finally, you mentioned that you're french. Not sure if you mean Quebecois or France. If you're from France, make sure that you're legal to fly in Canada.

Good luck with your search

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Be careful with True North. 4 accidents in 2 years since new owners.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”