Canadian North

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Canadian North

Post by RockSalty »

Anyone have any info about life at Canadian North on the 737? Schedule/Pay/Quality of life/management etc. How's the overall mood of the pilot group? Tried looking up their CBA but only found the one from 2014.

Also if anyone has any info on the interview that'd be appreciated, send me a PM if you want.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by RockSalty on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadian North

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Salary: both jet and ATR FO start at about 60k/yr, second year on the jet goes 85k and upwards from there while on the ATR its not as good till you make cpt (starting 110k/yr). Right now there is alot of movement internally some new ATR FOs only spend 6 months on it before getting the jet if they so choose...ATR cpt upgrades take 1-2 yrs depends on ones previous experience...they do have a matrix for hiring and upgrades.

Benefits: Industry standard some start after 1 month some after 3 months some after 6 months....there are good travel benefits via the myidtravel site after 6 months plus union jumpseat priviledges after line indoc is complete.

Pension: Not sure but it starts after 6 months employment and its company matching and can be semi self directed...

Overall a good company to hang your hat with, or to get experience and move on...the ATR guys fly about 6-700 hrs a year, the jet guys fly anywhere's from 350-600 hrs a year. The only guys who really work hard are the rotaters on the ATR in Iqaluit, Yellowknife is relaxed. While the jet guys have a great lifestyle as I said mostly single day trips with the occasional 2-4 day pairing for the YEG based jet guys.

Hope this helps...

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

Lots of great info above from Aspired. The only thing I would add is that the ATR Sept is presently hiring direct entry Captains now; something that is quite rare and has only recently happened in the 16 years I’ve been here.

The quality of life is great if you don’t mind living in YZF (on the ATR). I love YZF (as does Mrs Grasshopper) so it’s a great gig. Those on the Boeing seem to like their spots which I think is a good sign for anyone looking to join us. Lots of exciting stuff happening here as the industry booms. Good luck with your application and PM with any questions!

Jeff

YG
young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Deleted due to double post.

Last edited by young grasshopper on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
YG
thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Where else are the 737 bases, apart from YEG?

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

thepoors wrote:
Where else are the 737 bases, apart from YEG?

Boeing bases are YEG, YYC and YOW.

YG
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

What are the junior schedules like on the ATR and 737?

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

Allegedly not awful. Heard rumor of a British lad doing rotations on the atr out of Britain?

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

How many years on average to get a left seat on the 737?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

garfield wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:37 pm How many years on average to get a left seat on the 737?
There's the elephant in the room.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

I can’t speak for the YYC or YEG bases, but I believe our most junior YOW 737 skipper is at about 7 years. I would venture to guess that YYC/YEG are around the same. ATR Captains are being hired off the street at the moment. We have some 25-30 year ATR Captains who love YZF or the YOW/YFB rotational life and have no plans on moving to the Boeing. Hope that helps (and correct me if I’m wrong on any Boeing info, as I’m one of those ATR guys!).

Jeff

YG
garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

7 years is interesting, I would have guessed 15+ years for that kind of operator

DF_PQ_QX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DF_PQ_QX »

Don’t expect to be hired off the street for a Jet position. YFB guys are lined up to get out and not just the junior guys!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

garfield wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:46 am 7 years is interesting, I would have guessed 15+ years for that kind of operator
That's more like what I have heard for YEG and YYC. They downgraded a bunch of Captains when oil and gas went south and they primarily hired younger pilots for several years many of whom stayed.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

DF_PQ_QX wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:45 pm Don’t expect to be hired off the street for a Jet position. YFB guys are lined up to get out and not just the junior guys!
Have they ever hired 737 FO's off the street in YOW? I saw a posting recently for YEG I believe.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

From a friend working there...took several years post company merger (7F/5T) for both union shops (both ALPA) to agree to a merged seniority list, this was finally agreed to last fall, prior to this both sides were doing their own hiring (5T side onto the 737) (7F side onto the ATR) and neither side could bid onto each others fleet. Now combined, hiring onto the 737 is exclusively internal, only outside hiring is for the ATR.

Safe_Flyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Safe_Flyer »

Has anyone received an update or an offer from the Nov/Dec interviews?

Thanks

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Any update to the YYC/YEG 737 WAWCON? There is an ad out on PCC for FO's

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”