Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Encore interview request

Post by goingmissed »

RVR6000 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:39 pm What’s the average new hire experience level at Encore? Looking at ACs last 2 ground school, majority of it was from Encore.
I have heard between 1000-2000 hours. Considering mainline is asking for 1500, I don't see many people coming to Encore with much more than that.
---------- ADS -----------

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

I've got more than that but lacking the 500 multi-crew they want for mainline.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

GetAGripen wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:46 pm I've got more than that but lacking the 500 multi-crew they want for mainline.
You'll get that quick at Encore and then remain at Encore long enough for less experienced people to get well above you at WestJet while you continue to accrue more and more debt because you're taking home peanuts after tax and deductions.

Last edited by averageatbest on Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

:smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 HaHaHa. Cant stop laughing. Encore MEC going to AC. LMAO. IMAGINE THAT. WJ is such a shitty place that the MEC chose to go to AC. JA and WJ management this is so shameful but funny at the same time. Hahahha :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

averageatbest wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:55 am
GetAGripen wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:46 pm I've got more than that but lacking the 500 multi-crew they want for mainline.
You'll get that quick at Encore and then remain at Encore long enough for less experienced people to get well above you at WestJet while you continue to accrue more and more debt because you're only taking home $2400 per month after tax and deductions.
Well that's $600 more a month than what I make now. I can get the 2-crew time and blow off somewhere else.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

GetAGripen wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:21 pm Well that's $600 more a month than what I make now. I can get the 2-crew time and blow off somewhere else.
That's the Encore spirit!

bravopapa10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bravopapa10 »

Any idea what Encore is hiring at now for TT?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

bravopapa10 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:17 pm Any idea what Encore is hiring at now for TT?
Don't do it. Save yourself years of frustration.

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

bravopapa10 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:17 pm Any idea what Encore is hiring at now for TT?
The hiring pool hovers around 1450 hours total time. And they are interviewing people with over 1000hrs.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Mountainwave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:50 pm
The hiring pool hovers around 1450 hours total time. And they are interviewing people with over 1000hrs.
No hiring for Toronto and not enough new-hires to keep Calgary running properly.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

averageatbest wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:39 am
No hiring for Toronto and not enough new-hires to keep Calgary running properly.
Now you have a new pay scale, shouldn’t it help losing less people to flair or Porter ?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:18 am

Now you have a new pay scale, shouldn’t it help losing less people to flair or Porter ?

Probably not since they seem to be downsizing and anyone with 1500+ and an atpl can skip encore for a mainline or swoop interview. They need to make it a viable career option again and a pay bump isn’t the only hurdle

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:18 am Now you have a new pay scale, shouldn’t it help losing less people to flair or Porter ?
There is no new pay scale (except the two extra captain steps).

The company has been explicitly clear that the "lump sum payment" is not a change to our pay scales.

The pay is nice, but it's only guaranteed for a year whereas in that year, you can make 20% less working somewhere else and go straight to mainline gaining years of service.

My professional opinion is that unless you want to work out of Calgary and do not want to instruct or work the bush, DO NOT GO TO ENCORE.

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:18 am

I’ve noticed a lot of pilots at the top of the seniority list are flowing to mainline. The further down the seniority list you go, pilots are choosing between other carriers (ie. AC, Flair, Air Transat, etc) to restart their career path. There are always outliers in every situation so yes people at the top are also applying elsewhere and giving up flow but flow is always maxed out.

The bump in pay is most likely not enough to keep pilots around at Encore and the company knows that but most of the pilots want to leave for a jet anyways. There are maybe one or two pilots at Encore who want to stick around. Every pilot I’ve talked to on the line has either applied for a new job or waiting to flow.

Even if Encore isn’t a “career” job, it’s a great stepping stone for pilots who want to gain experience. Most of pilots are great to work with and that’s your daily. Sure WJ mainline and AC are hiring with a minimum experience of 1500TT, but there are lots of pilots with well above the minimum experience either not getting the callback, in the pool, or getting PFOd.

Before the MOA was voted in people on the forums and chat groups were all trying their best to convince people to vote No. It seemed like everyone was gonna vote no but then a whopping majority voted yes (82% of the pilot group voted and 82% voted yes). So don’t believe everything you read online.

It’s a great time to apply to airlines since you have choices. But eventually the music will stop and you better have a seat. By no means am I drinking teal koolaid but a right seat at Encore is a lot better than many alternatives.

Cheers

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Mountainwave wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:00 am It’s a great time to apply to airlines since you have choices. But eventually the music will stop and you better have a seat. By no means am I drinking teal koolaid but a right seat at Encore is a lot better than many alternatives.

Cheers
And then they close your base and give you 15% of the information in bite size bits every four months leaving you stressed and upset.

The WestJet group used to be amazing but since it was purchased by Onex it took a nose dive. Employees are getting screwed and guests are getting screwed worse. Every decision is about money and whatever is easiest for the OCC.

There is no point going to the C-Tier airline in the WestJet group. If you are okay with WestJet, go for the top.

Return to “WestJet Encore”