New Hires

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Hires

Post by MrAviator19 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:54 pm
MrAviator19 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:35 pm
ellinas wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Oh ok , I guess I’ll throw my resume in the trash. Thanks for the update
A medically fit pilot is a pilot, no matter the age. The only difference will be years of service you have left in you until retirement which also restricts how far you can get in the industry. You'll most likely never get to left (or right) seat on a wide-body, maybe even narrow-body depending on movement in each company but you can still enjoy a rewarding career, or whatever's left of it, from the left seat in a Dash-8. So polish that resume and send it in. As long as you meet the minimum criteria and ace the interview, you still have a good chance in the 705 regional world.

MrA
Just a footnote here: if porter start flying all of its anticipated routes as shown on the future route map…… it probably shouldn’t be called “a regional”. It’s a jet that can fly 2600 NM.
Oh 100%! I only said what I did considering the stage of their aviation career the said person is, be it Porter, Jazz or Encore.
Porter is definitely well on track to be a significant player in the North American continent.

MrA
---------- ADS -----------

lvf_abv_clouds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lvf_abv_clouds »

Last edited by lvf_abv_clouds on Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

For Dash FO, would Porter hire someone with 1000 hours of mostly VFR survey experience on a piston-single, or would it be worth applying to some medevac companies at 500 hours for some multi-IFR time? Porter is my end goal (great company to work for, YOW base, good schedule/lifestyle) and with all of the recently announced E2 growth, it seems like it would be a good idea to join without delay to build seniority quickly. I'm currently sitting at just under 400 TT and flying about 80 hours a month right now. Wondering if I should sit tight or not.

BlackHawkOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BlackHawkOne »

yowflyer23 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:26 pm For Dash FO, would Porter hire someone with 1000 hours of mostly VFR survey experience on a piston-single, or would it be worth applying to some medevac companies at 500 hours for some multi-IFR time? Porter is my end goal (great company to work for, YOW base, good schedule/lifestyle) and with all of the recently announced E2 growth, it seems like it would be a good idea to join without delay to build seniority quickly. I'm currently sitting at just under 400 TT and flying about 80 hours a month right now. Wondering if I should sit tight or not.
I'm 1100tt, 600h turbine, and I didn't heard from them for the Q.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

BlackHawkOne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:35 am
yowflyer23 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:26 pm For Dash FO, would Porter hire someone with 1000 hours of mostly VFR survey experience on a piston-single, or would it be worth applying to some medevac companies at 500 hours for some multi-IFR time? Porter is my end goal (great company to work for, YOW base, good schedule/lifestyle) and with all of the recently announced E2 growth, it seems like it would be a good idea to join without delay to build seniority quickly. I'm currently sitting at just under 400 TT and flying about 80 hours a month right now. Wondering if I should sit tight or not.
Ok good to know. Thanks.

rra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rra »

ya im wondering what is porter looking for when it comes to the Q, I have very similar hours to yourself with no call

Hysteria
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hysteria »

rra wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 pm
ya im wondering what is porter looking for when it comes to the Q, I have very similar hours to yourself with no call
Genuinely curious as well.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Hysteria wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:51 pm
rra wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 pm

Genuinely curious as well.
Sounds like training has slowed a touch for the Q side of the operation because they need to utilize the training captains on the line.

I would say here: no news is good news. Expect things to resume “full ahead” shortly.

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

I know several survey pilots who only flew single-engine day VFR and were successful getting into Porter at 1000hrs. Additionally they hire lots of instructors with little multi-time. Keep plugging away at those hours!

Alpat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alpat »

Mornin’ all, Is there an age restriction at Porter? Looking to do a 4/5 more years. Would love to help train guys on the line.
No E2 experience, but plenty of other types. (MDs, 74s etc) Any ideas? PM if you wish. Good luck to all. Cheers

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Alpat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:31 pm Mornin’ all, Is there an age restriction at Porter? Looking to do a 4/5 more years. Would love to help train guys on the line.
No E2 experience, but plenty of other types. (MDs, 74s etc) Any ideas? PM if you wish. Good luck to all. Cheers
Pretty sure it’s an FAA thing you can’t fly transport category aircraft in the airspace over 65. Someone may correct me here if I’m wrong. But if you have training experience and a couple years left, might be fun. You can also do ground training past that age.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:53 am
Alpat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:31 pm Mornin’ all, Is there an age restriction at Porter? Looking to do a 4/5 more years. Would love to help train guys on the line.
Pretty sure it’s an FAA thing you can’t fly transport category aircraft in the airspace over 65. Someone may correct me here if I’m wrong. But if you have training experience and a couple years left, might be fun. You can also do ground training past that age.
US congress just passed FAA reauthorization bill with Age 67.

Legislation now goes to the US senate. If it passes, able to operate in US airspace until 67th birthday in 705/121 operations.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:27 am
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:53 am
US congress just passed FAA reauthorization bill with Age 67.

Legislation now goes to the US senate. If it passes, able to operate in US airspace until 67th birthday in 705/121 operations.
Thanks again rudder for you most recent knowledge! Cheers mate.

Alpat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alpat »

Thankx to all. Yes many countries like Japan, now do the 67 thing.
Even in Canada there is no age restriction, only the unions demand/control or expect age limits. There are good and bad sides to the argument……
I will look at Porter this weekend to see if I have a chance…..I have a little over 3 years to go so it might be tight for their ROI!
Kindest to all & have a great weekend.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Alpat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:11 pm Thankx to all. Yes many countries like Japan, now do the 67 thing.
Even in Canada there is no age restriction, only the unions demand/control or expect age limits. There are good and bad sides to the argument……
I will look at Porter this weekend to see if I have a chance…..I have a little over 3 years to go so it might be tight for their ROI!
That is incorrect, union fought age 60 at AC only, the 65 rule was due to the FAA and being able to operate into U.S airspace, which sounds like it may change shortly.
I suspect if it changes in the U.S, it will change here as well given there would be no reason not to.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Alpat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:11 pm Thankx to all. Yes many countries like Japan, now do the 67 thing.
I know for a fact they hired someone DEC who was 62 or 63. But I believe he was wanting to do ground training after anyway.

Return to “Porter Airlines”