Demand for flight instructors

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Demand for flight instructors

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:07 pm
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:34 am
A warning that doesn't have specific numbers and dates attached to it isn't worth much.
This is really a moronic comment.

When you look at a GFA and it forecasts a cold front with 70 knot gusts, do you dismiss it because it doesn’t give the exact minute it will pass?

Truly….stupid, idiotic comment. I assume you simply don’t know any better, or listen too much to the wrong people.
Speaking of moronic and stupid, you need to work on your reading comprehension:
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:34 am Of course, I exaggerate slightly here. Placing error bars (so that the numbers are no longer "exact") on he claimed numbers is useful as well.
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:07 pm When you look at a GFA and it forecasts a cold front with 70 knot gusts, do you dismiss it because it doesn’t give the exact minute it will pass?
There's going to be a cold front pass sometime in the future with 70 knot gusts. No, this fact (which is almost certainly true) will not stop me from flying today.

A GFA in particular gives the magnitude of the problem (70 knot gusts) and a timeframe, so one can make an informed decision based on that. I know that when I see a GFA, the margin of error is measured in knots (not Mach number) and hours (not days). Knowing the scale of the problem and the scale of the uncertainty makes the information useful. "It'll be windy someday" is not useful and does not impact my decision making.

Insulting people who make valid commentary on your claims is not a great way to build credibility.
---------- ADS -----------

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Oh my. Good luck.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Squaretail wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm If you’re working with a $50,000 LiDAR unit, you going to risk losing it in the middle of nowhere in a drone? That’s fine for some LOS work where you will probably find the thing, but not for longer range applications.
That would be a LiDAR from AliExpress. I believe that the one a company that I worked for purchased was around $1.2M. Could be wrong though...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:16 pm
Squaretail wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm If you’re working with a $50,000 LiDAR unit, you going to risk losing it in the middle of nowhere in a drone? That’s fine for some LOS work where you will probably find the thing, but not for longer range applications.
That would be a LiDAR from AliExpress.
<Heads directly to AliExpress>

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:17 pm
That would be a LiDAR from AliExpress.
<Heads directly to AliExpress>
lol.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001261 ... Redirect=y

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

That would be a LiDAR from AliExpress. I believe that the one a company that I worked for purchased was around $1.2M. Could be wrong though...
Yes, the 50k unit i worked with once i think was cobbled together from ten other units. It was assembled on a chunk of plywood. Real piece of crap. Last i saw it, they were trying to stuff it in a strut mounted pod. The new unit we aquired is I have been told 1.5 mil. Crazy stuff.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

I thought we were talking about the demand of flight instructors, oh well!

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

lidi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 am I thought we were talking about the demand of flight instructors, oh well!
As is the case with the majority of posts here, they spin out of control into a full on "you're a stupid head, my dad could beat up your dad" crap slinging festival.
Hope you were able to get a few constructive responses before it degenerated.

ols500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ols500 »

lidi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 am I thought we were talking about the demand of flight instructors, oh well!
Lol same. I thought this forum had pilots who could help each other out and be civilised not children fighting over the internet...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ols500 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:53 pm
Lol same. I thought this forum had pilots who could help each other out and be civilised not children fighting over the internet...
I keep hearing stories of how hard it is to get instructors. I see there being massive demad for them in the next year, but there are a couple issues creeping up that may make it harder to get teaching.

One, Transport Canada who routinely sets the bar lower than ever thought possible with their "level of service" has reached a new low with medical, raic, and new license processing times. Between students who can't solo because they've been waiting 6 months for their medical, and fully licensed students who's temporary license have expired with no ADB on its way. This screws a lot of things up and dissuades a lot of potential students. There's only so much dual you can do before it becomes counter productive.

And two, airlines are hiring instructors as fast as they can be trained, the problem is they hire all the class 2's and 3's first and so there's nobody to supervise 4's or the 3's are maxed out and can't supervise more 4's. As soon as they train one or two, off to Jazz, and Encore they go.

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

co-joe wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:47 pm
ols500 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:53 pm
I keep hearing stories of how hard it is to get instructors. I see there being massive demad for them in the next year, but there are a couple issues creeping up that may make it harder to get teaching.

One, Transport Canada who routinely sets the bar lower than ever thought possible with their "level of service" has reached a new low with medical, raic, and new license processing times. Between students who can't solo because they've been waiting 6 months for their medical, and fully licensed students who's temporary license have expired with no ADB on its way. This screws a lot of things up and dissuades a lot of potential students. There's only so much dual you can do before it becomes counter productive.

And two, airlines are hiring instructors as fast as they can be trained, the problem is they hire all the class 2's and 3's first and so there's nobody to supervise 4's or the 3's are maxed out and can't supervise more 4's. As soon as they train one or two, off to Jazz, and Encore they go.
I keep reading about instructor shortage but is it going to get even worse within the next year or so? Also it would be nice to hear what types of jobs instructors do eventually end up with after instructing for a while with this whole shortage of pilots situation.

Thanks again all

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

In my day, you had 2 choices, work the ramp, or instruct (assuming you didn't "know someone"). If you instructed you got to skip the ramp and go straight to the right seat of a King Air, or left seat of a single like the 206. Now having a thousand hours of instructing takes you straight to the 705 airlines namely Jazz and Encore, Pasco, and others.

Note: I may be off with my memory of who can supervise who, I thought a class 3 can supervise a class 4 but it's been almost 20 years since I was an instructor. Photofly usually corrects my lack of memory/ knowledge.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

An instructor has to be class 2 or 1 in order to supervise a class 4.
We are definitely seeing the class 2s and 1s being hired away from instructing. Some upgrades to class 2, very few make it to class 1 before leaving. This is going to impact ability to train new class 4s.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

How is the demand for instructors these days? I’ve started the process of renewing my expired class 4 and was wondering the job prospects in Ontario where I reside?

Just enquiring on the possibility and thanks again

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

ellinas wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 am How is the demand for instructors these days? I’ve started the process of renewing my expired class 4 and was wondering the job prospects in Ontario where I reside?

What part of Ontario are you in?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Class 4s, like 200-500 hour CPLs, are a dime a dozen and always have been. You might not like hearing that, but it's the bitter reality that you need to be aware of.

You're ultimately a burden to any FTU if you are a Class 4 - and if they are going to have to deal with you and all the supervisory requirements, then ideally you'll be a brand-new Class 4 that they've trained (and have moulded to their liking) or be on the cusp of upgrading to a Class 3... and then you're actually a more attractive candidate. Although, if you're hopping ship from one FTU to another while on the cusp of upgrading then someone should be asking questions.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

nutlord wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:49 pm
ellinas wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 am How is the demand for instructors these days? I’ve started the process of renewing my expired class 4 and was wondering the job prospects in Ontario where I reside?

What part of Ontario are you in?
GTA ( Hamilton)

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

This isn't hard. When you start training for your renewal, ask the flight school if they need instructors and would hire you when you renew.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

khedrei wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:24 pm This isn't hard. When you start training for your renewal, ask the flight school if they need instructors and would hire you when you renew.
Thanks for the advice, both schools I enquired won’t hire me as one is training 15 instructor candidates and the other is in the same boat.

Oh well, no worries I’ll get it done and see where that takes me. Hopefully someone will give an old man a chance.

Return to “Flight Training”