Simplest Route to a M1?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Simplest Route to a M1?

Post by lownslow »

Just as the title asks, what’s the simplest route to getting my M1 these days? The mechanic I use is probably retiring within the next couple years and I’m considering how easy life could be if I could just sign off my own annuals. Is there a reputable part-time way to get it done?
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Simplest Route to a M1?

Post by fish4life »

If you are looking towards doing it mainly just for self use you would be much better trying to find some sort of homebuilt that will fit your need and build it. You will learn a ton, be able to customize a lot easier, find the exact same parts for much less money because they don’t have to be certified (I’m
Looking at you avionics) and you can then fix anything and sign off your own annuals.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 am Just as the title asks, what’s the simplest route to getting my M1 these days? The mechanic I use is probably retiring within the next couple years and I’m considering how easy life could be if I could just sign off my own annuals. Is there a reputable part-time way to get it done?
I looked into it as well but couldn't find anything. There are some options for part time schooling, but the annoying bit is you always need those apprenticeship hours which take a long time to collect.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

After a little searching today it seems there may be an online course to get started, three(?) TC exams, and an apprenticeship where you get supervised doing a bunch of tasks over a minimum period of time. The time period looks to be 48 months with one month off for every 100 hours worth of the approved course you start with. No idea at this stage if that 48 months is full time or can be part or whatever. The task list also looks a little overkill and there appears to be mention that not all of it has to be done but I’ve yet to find a table of which items apply to which M license or if that’s even how it goes.

One thing is for certain, this section of TC’s site was not written by the same person who wrote the pilot section. I’m beginning to think they didn’t even like each other.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Go to school and do your two and a half years after you’re done like everyone else. If this is just for self use just find another AME, there’s lots out there!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:18 pm Go to school and do your two and a half years after you’re done like everyone else. If this is just for self use just find another AME, there’s lots out there!
Ideally I’d like to keep my day job but further down the line I could potentially help others keep their antiques in the air too. The guys who specialize in the old stuff are getting fewer and fewer. If it’s at all practical or even possible to get signed off on the side I’d be all for it.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Tank your investment and go OM!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:16 pm Tank your investment and go OM!
Ugh, I’d happily buy the right OM plane but the thought of X-ing out the serial plate of the engine, etc. myself on a certified airplane grates on my every last nerve. Plus for whatever dumb reason you can’t fly OM into the US. You can’t cross the border with an OM J-3 but you can build a Wag Aero Sport Trainer that’s identical to it in every way and you’re good to go. Nonsensical.

Anyways, it doesn’t seem like an immediate problem I face. I’m sort of projecting out 4-5 years here but from the looks of how much apprenticeship is required it may actually be an immediate problem after all.

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

CAR 566 and appendixes are pretty clear on what you need. 48 months total with some credit for school. Typically 18 months credit for school (not correspondence) and another 2.5 years FULL time.
Experience requirements are based on full time work at 1800 hours a year.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

1. Do the ICS course.
2. Find an employer(do you have a heartbeat?)
3. 48 months full time.
4. In that time fill out 70% of the tasks in the log book pertaining to the licence sought. (Under 12500lbs for M1) for aircraft worked on
5. Write 3 technical exams whenever you want after ICS course.
6. Write CARS exam once time and tasks are complete.

Easy sleazy way to get it. Or just pay some schlep to do your annual for 1500.00. What’s your time worth?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

So if part-time it looks like you basically need 7200 hours logged to make the equivalent of four years full-time, minus any reductions for course credit. Can a log be started before taking a course?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am So if part-time it looks like you basically need 7200 hours logged to make the equivalent of four years full-time, minus any reductions for course credit. Can a log be started before taking a course?
You're going to need a lot of pencil whipping to achieve that part time :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nine sixteenths »

lownslow wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am So if part-time it looks like you basically need 7200 hours logged to make the equivalent of four years full-time, minus any reductions for course credit. Can a log be started before taking a course?
I’ve seen apprentices that started as shop hands and moved into an apprentice role before taking their courses. Never through ICS though, always at an ATO. Our PRM’s would submit letters to confirm the hours of experience, but we wouldn’t include the “shop hand” time only the time when they got into the real work. Time changing oil, cleaning spark plugs counts, sweeping the floor and plowing snow, fuelling, chucking freight, that didn’t. If you plan to try and log part time work, I’d recommend you be extremely diligent in maintaining an hours log in addition to the task log.

I also find it interesting that a 40hr work week is 2080 hours a year, but TC only allows 1800 / year claimed as experience. Guess they understand it’s not all applicable wrench time in real life.

I haven’t had experience with a part time apprentice, anywhere I’ve worked wouldn’t hire one as there wouldn’t be much value for the AMO, more hassle than it would be worth. I’d think it would be frustrating to have one as an apprentice, they’d not make progress as effectively as a full time one and the plateaus would likely be much wider.

Another simplified reference page that you might find helpful as it explains more of the nuances:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... nformation

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

One other thing to remember and remember well. I came across an AMO, fairly large at that at the tail end of my illustrious AME career that convinced the poor sap apprentice making bum wages that they could only get their log book signed by the PRM. They basically held this kid hostage. I remedied that for him. Don’t let anyone tell you that. Any AME who signs the maintenance release and observes your work should and can sign your tasks. Scumbag employers exist everywhere so be cautious.

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

What part of the country are you in?? I have helped a few guys in getting thier license through my shop.

Return to “Maintenance”