PGI instructing (always wondered?)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

PGI instructing (always wondered?)

Post by ellinas »

Hello aviators and instructors

I’ve always wondered about the PGI when it comes to teaching it. I’m going to confirm with the flight instructor guide as well.

Can we teach the PGI side by side with PGI notes sitting beside the student or do I have to put everything on the board and stand up the majority of the time.

My enquiry is because some of my PGIs have quite a bit of info along with charts and diagrams and I just thought sitting side by side would be better.

I will be in a classroom mind you with a board so if there is anything extra to draw or write I have no issue there.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: PGI instructing (always wondered?)

Post by Aviatard »

ellinas wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:29 pm Hello aviators and instructors

I’ve always wondered about the PGI when it comes to teaching it. I’m going to confirm with the flight instructor guide as well.

Can we teach the PGI side by side with PGI notes sitting beside the student or do I have to put everything on the board and stand up the majority of the time.

My enquiry is because some of my PGIs have quite a bit of info along with charts and diagrams and I just thought sitting side by side would be better.

I will be in a classroom mind you with a board so if there is anything extra to draw or write I have no issue there.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
As long as you can teach it effectively you can do anything you want. Get naked. Stand on your head. Show some videos. It doesn’t matter. What’s important is can you get the student to learn.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I tell my class 4 candidates that they can do PGI any way they want as long as the student retains the information.

For some instructors, they go with a power point. Others use a white board. Others just doodle on a letter size paper. Others make fill in the blank worksheets for the student to fill out as they talk. Currently, I have students watch my PGI videos ahead of time (freepilotgroundschool.ca) and I ask questions/developmental teach to make sure the information has been retained.

On occasion, instructor candidates come with someone else's ppt only to find out that it doesn't work for them.

What I find detestable is when class 1 instructors force class 4's to teach "their" way. If it works for you, stick with it.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:53 pmGet naked. Stand on your head. Show some videos.
I took your advice and was told to never come back to the school again.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

ellinas wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:29 pm Hello aviators and instructors

PGI’s are to teach the “why” and the “how” for an air exercise and should have minimal theory, that is what ground school and homework is for. A PGI should take around 10 to 15 minutes for simple exercises and maybe up to 30 minutes maximum for the most complex ones.

It sounds like you are overthinking your PGI’s and putting in material that is not directly relevant to teaching the student how to do a Maneuver

Also, personally I front end load PDM on every exercise, this constitutes the “why” element of the PGI.

I started Instructing in the 1980’s and so I do all my PGI’s on a white board but I see many newer instructors using power point effectively so use what ever works for you.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I struggled with preparing PGI's until I got some actual experience teaching lessons and eventually it all falls into place and you develop what works best for you in your presentation.

Keep the dirty side down.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:29 pm I tell my class 4 candidates that they can do PGI any way they want as long as the student retains the information.

For some instructors, they go with a power point. Others use a white board. Others just doodle on a letter size paper. Others make fill in the blank worksheets for the student to fill out as they talk. Currently, I have students watch my PGI videos ahead of time (freepilotgroundschool.ca) and I ask questions/developmental teach to make sure the information has been retained.

On occasion, instructor candidates come with someone else's ppt only to find out that it doesn't work for them.

What I find detestable is when class 1 instructors force class 4's to teach "their" way. If it works for you, stick with it.
It's not unreasonable for a school to require their instructors to conform to an organizational standard of using a certain method of presentation. If you rely on Powerpoint, it's on you to make sure you have the technology to display one, without fail, for every lesson.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

That's fair. I was more talking about during the instructor rating. Instructor candidates need to get used to teaching in their own skin, not regurgitating the class 1's words.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:49 am That's fair. I was more talking about during the instructor rating. Instructor candidates need to get used to teaching in their own skin, not regurgitating the class 1's words.
Honestly I think you can call it either way.

I agree in respect of not regurgitating anyone else's words, but in the same way that the documentation in respect of the presentation of PGI doesn't say that a trainee has to use any particular method, it also doesn't say that it must be the trainee's own original and personal choice of which method to use.

I'm fairly sure that a school teacher under training is given appropriate supports in respect of worksheets, visual aids, presentational hardware and so on in the early days of teaching. I think it's extremely reasonable for initial instructor training to mandate the use of a particular method of presentation, particular concepts, and particular phrases or emphases. When an instructor gets some experience under their belt about what works and what doesn't, then, perhaps, is the time to branch out and experiment with powerpoint or a white-board, or sitting next to the student with a notepad.

It's inevitable that a student of a typical, low hours, new class IV instructor is actually hearing the words and teaching methods of the Class 1 instructor with whom they were just working. In the average case, it could be a while before that instructor has something original of their own to add.

And if that Class 1 instructor has a particular presentational method he or she wants the student instructor to use, that's not inappropriate.

The situation is different for a renewal, of course - in which case the Class 1 instructor should (fairly obviously) continue with whatever the candidate has already been using.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
BadRobot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BadRobot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 pm

Also, personally I front end load PDM on every exercise, this constitutes the “why” element of the PGI.
Hi, I am wondering what PDM refers to.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

PDM = Pilot Decision Making also sometimes called ADM, Aviation Decision Making

I have a PDM example in every lesson. Some PGI's, like short field landings are 80 % PDM. A short field landing is just like every other landing, however the decision around whether or not you should be landing, whether after landing you can safety takeoff and assessing what margin you have on the approach and where the go/no go decision should be made are what matter.

BadRobot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BadRobot »

I thought it might be related to that. It's definitely important , I'll look into that for my PGIs.

Return to “Flight Training”