Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Negotiations

Post by flyer 1492 »

10 years ago, 10% of the pilot group off on medical would have been considered normal.
---------- ADS -----------

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

link821 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:06 pm If no one bids it…then they start at the bottom the seniority list and work their way up till the 25 positions are filled.
I thought it was volunteer only. But if they can force it, then that is just another reason not to come to Jazz. Either way, it works for us.

pilotdude1326
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotdude1326 »

rudder wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:14 pm
Malfunction wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:07 pm Are you suprised... there's no flying out west
Correction. There is no flying out of YYC. Lots of flying out of YVR.
Anyone know the vacancies for YVR FO's?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:42 pm
link821 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:06 pm If no one bids it…then they start at the bottom the seniority list and work their way up till the 25 positions are filled.
I thought it was volunteer only. But if they can force it, then that is just another reason not to come to Jazz. Either way, it works for us.
Up to 3 consecutive bid periods (90 days) of volunteer/conscription subscription permitted. Then fill YYZ Q400 vacancies by bid/standing bid only.

Company had the opportunity to post reductions for YYC and chose not to.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

It is pretty clear that if you want to live out west, Jazz is not the place to come to.

25 potentially forced YYZ temp spots should do wonders for moral.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

I have worked at 4 diffrent aviation companies in my 10years in aviation and I have never seen moral so low as it is a Jazz right now. We are loosing pilots left and right and I don't blame them. Pay sucks for left and right seat. AC treats us like second class citizens. Our own company won't budge on pay increases instead there hell bent on self destruction. I myself thought I was going to be a lifer at Jazz but I am in the process of Applying elsewhere.

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

truedude wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm They can't force anyone to take a temp base. So if no one applies, they will be forced to DH people around the country.

"I am an army of one, or two, or three hundred."
Go read your contract.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

tango308 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 am
truedude wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm They can't force anyone to take a temp base. So if no one applies, they will be forced to DH people around the country.

"I am an army of one, or two, or three hundred."
Go read your contract.
Someone already corrected me. But thanks for keeping up.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:06 am I have worked at 4 diffrent aviation companies in my 10years in aviation and I have never seen moral so low as it is a Jazz right now. We are loosing pilots left and right and I don't blame them. Pay sucks for left and right seat. AC treats us like second class citizens. Our own company won't budge on pay increases instead there hell bent on self destruction. I myself thought I was going to be a lifer at Jazz but I am in the process of Applying elsewhere.
I have been in this industry twenty years, and Jazz for over a decade, and I am also cleaning up my resume and logbook. It seems the writing is on the wall as far as jazz is concerned.

I have never in my life seen a company so hell bent on self destruction as this one. The training pilot pool continues to shrink, a product of retirements and resignations/just fed up. LTC pilots are starting to quit, all making it difficult to even bring people online.

People are quiting groudnschools before they even start, quiting halfway through training, or soon after. People leaving for everywhere, whom had never intended on leaving. All while management, or Air Canada, or whomever is in charge of this dumpster fire, have their heads planted firmly up their ass.

I suspect we are mere months away from being unable to meet the CPA obligations, and a few more away from outright collapse.

And all because of what... the idea of paying pilots more is somehow the more unpleasant scenario than the company complelty collapsing. Truly shocking.

Just mind numbing stupidity at so many levels.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

I guess the moral of this story is to never play for the "B" team.

Gravity always wins
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Kosiw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:08 am I guess the moral of this story is to never play for the "B" team.
How is Jazz the B team? Air Canada needs us the same as we need them. In 2010 we were told if we went in strike, AC would be in bankruptcy inside a week.

Is Horizon a B team? Skywest? Because they all make more than all regional pilots in Canada, and more than a good portion of Air Canada pilots.

In the end, it comes down to supply and demand. And Canadian aviation companies need to realize it is less about shaving pennies off the margins, but rather keeping airplanes in the air. Those that can keep flying will succeed. Those that can't will go broke.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The American ‘B’ teams like Republic, Skywest etc make more than most AC pilots excluding the wide body captains. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Anyone who compares Canada to Us argument is null- invoid...
Unless the boarder opens up. Until then it's pointless and a waste of time.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:20 am Anyone who compares Canada to Us argument is null- invoid...
What we need in Canada is min 1500 hrs requirement to fly a 705 aircraft. That will fix things really quickly (with pay). Every pilot in Canada needs at least a 30% pay increase to cope with the absurd inflation and inhumane cost of housing.

Even "The People's Democratic Republic of Kanadistan - Central News Agency" (aka the CBC) is sounding the alarm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwteV2A1DcY

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:20 am Anyone who compares Canada to Us argument is null- invoid...
6 months ago that may have been true. But when Encore and Jazz are shrinking due to a lack of crew, then it is comparable. And anyone pretending it isn't, particularly management, will be shocked when they start parking planes later this year. Encore will be at 20 fins by the end of the year.

When AC sees people leaving PIT courses for other jobs, then it is comparable.

Times are changing, and those that don't keep up will be left behind.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How is the Australian job market? Have wages shot up there drastically? They acctually have a visas to operate in the US.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

truedude wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 am
6 months ago that may have been true. But when Encore and Jazz are shrinking due to a lack of crew, then it is comparable. And anyone pretending it isn't, particularly management, will be shocked when they start parking planes later this year. Encore will be at 20 fins by the end of the year.

You assume this isn't to plan. You also assume WJ and AC care

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 am How is the Australian job market? Have wages shot up there drastically? They acctually have a visas to operate in the US.
Qantaslink was paying Captains $120,000 AUD (starting pay) to fly the Dash 8 and Q400. This is back in 2018 when I went to one of their career fairs in Cairns. Not sure how that is now.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 am
truedude wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 am

You assume this isn't to plan. You also assume WJ and AC care
It is clear they have decided to sacrifice routes and capacity vs pay pilots more money. It is an intentional plan to keep pilot pay low in Canada. And it appears to be coordinated. It will likely drive them both into bankruptcy. It is incredibly short term thinking, and will only see further pain later on.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:49 am
It is clear they have decided to sacrifice routes and capacity vs pay pilots more money. It is an intentional plan to keep pilot pay low in Canada. And it appears to be coordinated. It will likely drive them both into bankruptcy. It is incredibly short term thinking, and will only see further pain later on.
AC is not going bankrupt.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”