Airline Upgrades

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Airline Upgrades

Post by cdnavater »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:27 pm
Turboprops wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 pm They had to take a chance, and planes didn't fall out of the sky, establishing the new normal.
So we’ll wait for a crash before we say this is a bad idea, brilliant approach!
Take a look at how often a similar statement has been expressed here on avcanada, every time experience requirements have dropped. The aviation apocalypse hasn't happened (yet). At some point someone will be right. I don't think we're there yet. Others disagree.
Turboprops wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm This person went through the exact same training as every other DEC, you don’t get special treatment because you lack the experience.
If he got the exact same treatment, then that's great.

Do all DEC candidates get (I quote) pulled " in to the office to firmly suggest that this was not how things were done and that he should seriously reconsider his bid." ?

If your manager or training department tells you (I paraphrase) 'you will fail the training', are you *really* getting the same treatment as the other candidates?
Turboprops wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm He was told he could still go for an FO spot, but he declined. Oh well
That's nice of the company!
The pilot in question was not brought in because of bidding DEC, they were hired and bid it in the new hire class on day three of orientation week.
If, I say if because this is the first I’ve heard of this, so if they were brought in to discuss going FO instead it was due to the fact the training wasn’t going well, which is something I can say did happen.
There were a few in that first class of DEC that struggled including one with significant time and I don’t know how many were successful but I know of three for sure that are currently FOs.
6 months or so in the right seat will almost ensure success the next time around but still not a guarantee. There is such a thing as lifetime FO
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Perhaps flying airliners in a well managed and monitored 705 operation isn't as difficult as we made it out to be. The years of need 5000 hours to command a Navajo, let alone a Beechcraft are bye bye.

Just because it took Gen X and Gen Y took years to build up time and experience to be competitive for certain jobs, but Gen Z can walk right in out of school and do the same thing doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. It sucks but life ain't fair.

Next step is apparently single pilot. Question is, are we ready for that?

Jimmy91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jimmy91 »

Just got an offer at Jazz with 2100 TT with ATPL and 703 medevac experience. Jazz head of recruiter on the phone said they are short on captains and mentioned that the Ops team have created a custom training program for some candidates where they would spend 5-6 mnths right seat and undergo upgrade and fly with training captain for a bit longer to gain the required experience. Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening? Thanks in advance

Return to “Employment Forum”