Practicing with Twizzles

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Practicing with Twizzles

Post by nutlord »

I've heard Twizzles mentioned as an exercise, but not explained. A cursory google search didn't bring anything up either. I know that the exercise is used in RCAF Ab-Initio training, and I'd like to learn it and practice in a GA aircraft for my own proficiency. Can someone who's familiar with the exercise explain it to me, please?
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Practicing with Twizzles

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Are you sure you don’t mean “rolling scissors”?

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:16 pm Are you sure you don’t mean “rolling scissors”?
I don't think so, I've heard "Twizzles" refered to as a useful exercise to build hands and feet skills, but never elaborated on what it actually is.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Maybe it's a falling leaf?

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

I seem to recall it being something to do with instrument flying not aerobatics. Something about turns and math I think. Surely there is some flight instructors here that can chime in. They were called Twizzlers btw not Twizzles.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I have absolutely no idea, but bring a flight instructor a bag of beef jerky and you'll have a friend for life.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I believe it’s a term used for just general “under the hood” flying. Timed turns, climb 500fpm at 70 knots, descend 800fpm to 3000’ and turn right 90 degrees. That kind of thing.

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:01 pm I believe it’s a term used for just general “under the hood” flying. Timed turns, climb 500fpm at 70 knots, descend 800fpm to 3000’ and turn right 90 degrees. That kind of thing.
Yeah, I think it was related to instrument flying too, not BFM or Aerobatics. This could be it.

VSF
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by VSF »

I remember a Twizzler being a timed turn with a rate of climb. The goal being to initiate the turn and the climb, while starting your timing, and roll out of the turn at the altitude.

You'd be given a target altitude, and a target heading, and you'd have to work out the rate of climb / rate of turn to make that happen, while flying under the hood.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

VSF wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 am I remember a Twizzler being a timed turn with a rate of climb. The goal being to initiate the turn and the climb, while starting your timing, and roll out of the turn at the altitude.

You'd be given a target altitude, and a target heading, and you'd have to work out the rate of climb / rate of turn to make that happen, while flying under the hood.
Yes! This was it exactly.

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

VSF wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 am I remember a Twizzler being a timed turn with a rate of climb. The goal being to initiate the turn and the climb, while starting your timing, and roll out of the turn at the altitude.

Oh that's really interesting. Is there a guide with rules of thumb for that?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Just basic math. Turn 180 at a 2 min turn while climbing 300' is 300 fpm.

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

Bede wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 am Just basic math. Turn 180 at a 2 min turn while climbing 300' is 300 fpm.
Gotcha, I thought that you meant something more along the lines of "Turn from 180 to heading 275, roll out in 45 seconds, while climbing 300' ". Your version seems like it would cause less of a helmet fire.

Return to “Flight Training”