Announced routes

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Announced routes

Post by twa22 »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:41 pm
Porter threads have been quiet, but it's not because it's such a fantastic place to work at, to me it seems there haven't been many pilots on here that have been very vocal, but I'm sure that's about to change, and it should, porter pilots should complain and they should step up like everyone else and challenge the current status quo... wages will have to go up across the board everywhere within the next 1 to 2 years, 43k a year is just embarrassing
It's been quiet because many of them are actually talking amongst themselves in the crewroom(s); as well as, talking with their FOAG representatives (Flight Operations Administrative Guide - aka Terms and Conditions); as opposed to gripping on a message board. Some of the Pilots are talking with their feet (resignation) and being hired by Mainline (AC/WJ).

The Pilot Group have also been quite vocal when they have monthly pilot calls with management. The typical response is that the 'benchmarking exercise' is currently underway and the result will be announced the the spring. I'm assuming that the Reps and Management are collecting all the contracts and info out there and coming to an agreement that they will submit to accounting for approval.
Good! I hope that all of this is going to make a difference
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I hope their pax loading increases. I like the airline and I just flew on them. Can you believe it.....132 seats in the Embraer at 4 seats across. That is A320 size. You get the feeling that you are in a stretch DC-8 when you are at the front or back(or even in the middle). Especially when the pax load is a total of......8.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

pelmet wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 am I hope their pax loading increases. I like the airline and I just flew on them. Can you believe it.....132 seats in the Embraer at 4 seats across. That is A320 size. You get the feeling that you are in a stretch DC-8 when you are at the front or back(or even in the middle). Especially when the pax load is a total of......8.

Agreed. They mostly are completely unknown in the west. I’m sure the numbers go up once word of mouth starts getting around.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:52 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 am I hope their pax loading increases. I like the airline and I just flew on them. Can you believe it.....132 seats in the Embraer at 4 seats across. That is A320 size. You get the feeling that you are in a stretch DC-8 when you are at the front or back(or even in the middle). Especially when the pax load is a total of......8.

Agreed. They mostly are completely unknown in the west. I’m sure the numbers go up once word of mouth starts getting around.
See that’s the thing though, looking at the loads today and into the next couple of days, the YUL and YOW flights are ghost towns, the only flights that look like they’re making money is the 1 YVR turn they have each day tomorrow and the next lol

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

8895 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:28 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:52 pm

See that’s the thing though, looking at the loads today and into the next couple of days, the YUL and YOW flights are ghost towns, the only flights that look like they’re making money is the 1 YVR turn they have each day tomorrow and the next lol
I just looked also lol. Freaky.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Unknown brand out west.

Minimal marketing.

High prices compared to ULCC's (which I understand PD is not).

Inconvenient routings that require stops in YYZ and YOW.

Yeah, I'm not shocked that loads aren't big yet. When summer hits and everybody wants a flight, they'll be busy. Until then though, I can't imagine they'll be the first choice for many.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Also, just putting it out there for commuters. If you have a valid raic with a Canadian airline, you can sit in flight deck on domestic flights with Porter. Not great on long flights, embraer jumpseat don’t have 34” seat pitches. but I believe it’s free. All you gotta do is fill out a RJP form. Where one finds the form is another story. Probably through porter pilot or possibly at airport counter. Needs raic and valid company ID also.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:25 pm Also, just putting it out there for commuters. If you have a valid raic with a Canadian airline, you can sit in flight deck on domestic flights with Porter. Not great on long flights, embraer jumpseat don’t have 34” seat pitches. but I believe it’s free. All you gotta do is fill out a RJP form. Where one finds the form is another story. Probably through porter pilot or possibly at airport counter. Needs raic and valid company ID also.
The form is on the online booking tool. OAL pilots have to pay fees. Sitting in the flight deck is for select carriers that have reciprocated access or are working on it. But the empty flights definitely help the commute.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Donald wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:21 pm Unknown brand out west.

Minimal marketing.

High prices compared to ULCC's (which I understand PD is not).

Inconvenient routings that require stops in YYZ and YOW.

Yeah, I'm not shocked that loads aren't big yet. When summer hits and everybody wants a flight, they'll be busy. Until then though, I can't imagine they'll be the first choice for many.
Ya it's the quietest time of the year load wise. Even on the Dash a lot of typical light loads. Gives them time to figure out the problems before the March break rush.

I'm sure they expected it to go this way. Ottawa and Montreal are really just being used to get people churning through line indoc quickly. Going to stations that are already established with above/under wing services. It'll be interesting to see if the Vancouver load factor can stay high

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

braaap Braap wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:11 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:25 pm Also, just putting it out there for commuters. If you have a valid raic with a Canadian airline, you can sit in flight deck on domestic flights with Porter. Not great on long flights, embraer jumpseat don’t have 34” seat pitches. but I believe it’s free. All you gotta do is fill out a RJP form. Where one finds the form is another story. Probably through porter pilot or possibly at airport counter. Needs raic and valid company ID also.
The form is on the online booking tool. OAL pilots have to pay fees. Sitting in the flight deck is for select carriers that have reciprocated access or are working on it. But the empty flights definitely help the commute.
Okay, but In the FOM, it states “a pilot, flight attendant or flight engineer that is employed by another Canadian airline that presents valid raic and company ID.”

I guess possibly the verification process is done via the form? There’s no mention of any approved list of carriers.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 pm
Okay, but In the FOM, it states “a pilot, flight attendant or flight engineer that is employed by another Canadian airline that presents valid raic and company ID.”

I guess possibly the verification process is done via the form? There’s no mention of any approved list of carriers.
Ya from a TC/regulatory aspect any canadian carrier pilot can access the jumpseat. Internal Company policy restricts it to select carriers (Air Canada/Jazz, Transat, Flair, Wasaya). Full list is in a bulletin

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

braaap Braap wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:18 pm

Ya from a TC/regulatory aspect any canadian carrier pilot can access the jumpseat. Internal Company policy restricts it to select carriers (Air Canada/Jazz, Transat, Flair, Wasaya). Full list is in a bulletin
Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense, but I’m sure it will help some, and yes…extra seats on any route is always good.

PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

braaap Braap wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:11 pm

Gotta pay attention to the bulletins… and Recurrent ground school…

Scantron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scantron »

By my count Last two Q400 upgrade classes look to have been cancelled due to lack of qualified candidates?

Additionally anyone have any insight into why they would get a new AOC for the jet and make it a separate company?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Scantron wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:33 am By my count Last two Q400 upgrade classes look to have been cancelled due to lack of qualified candidates?

Additionally anyone have any insight into why they would get a new AOC for the jet and make it a separate company?
No idea if it’s true but the purpose of a separate AOC is not usually to the benefit of the pilots.
I’m thinking it’s so they could sell one or the other separately, other reasons could be tax purposes, yet another could be to offer it on the stock market without the other dragging it down.
Deluce also has a history of creating something that AC may be interested in, AC would not likely be interested in purchasing Porter prop division but maybe Porter jet division unless the prop division is to whipsaw Jazz, you see the possibilities are endless.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Scantron wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:33 am By my count Last two Q400 upgrade classes look to have been cancelled due to lack of qualified candidates?

Kool-aid Answer: Because it allowed them to get the E2 AOC faster (Something about Transport Canada taking longer to ammend a current AOC then to approve a new one)

Cynical Answer: So that they can divide/pit the pilot groups against each other (or whatever other efficiencies they gain at the cost of the pilot group)

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

That's easy, so it can be sold; no if, and's or but's

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

If one division fails it can declare bankruptcy without taking the other side down with it is another reason.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

They saw what WestJet was doing and thought that screwing over their employees is the right direction to take the company.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

averageatbest wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:49 am

They saw what WestJet was doing and thought that screwing over their employees is the right direction to take the company.
Well, they all do that, given the chance!
No company is in it for the employees, it’s about making a few rich off the backs of others, so take what you can when you can, don’t fall for the, if we do this now we will all benefit in the future bullsquirt, it’s about shareholders and that’s it!

Return to “Porter Airlines”