FIR Transfer

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RiderYYZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

FIR Transfer

Post by RiderYYZ »

Hello, just curious if any one knows wether or not you are allowed to transfer to a different FIR while in the “Eligible for Offer” stage? I went through the entire process while in the Toronto FIR but with recent life changes, my family and I are looking to make a move to Alberta and I am curious if I would be able to transfer my application at such a late stage to the Edmonton FIR. Thanks in advance for the replies!
---------- ADS -----------

asthebeaconturns
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: FIR Transfer

Post by asthebeaconturns »

Should not be a problem, all FIRs need students.
Reach out to Ottawa and let them know your needs,

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

I recently contacted HR and asked this question and basically my email said just what you have. They responded within a few weeks and the answer was in two parts.

First, yes they are generally happy to change your FIR preference if that is what you want, however, depending on the stream you have been placed into courses may not be upcoming as quickly for some FIR's as others. In my case I was streamed FSS and requested to transfer to YYZ. I was welcome to do that but they did not have an FSS course on the horizon there vs the FIR I was currently registered in which was holding them in the near future.

Second, I guess the timing of my email was either coincidence or prompted something but I was offered a position on the next training course in my original FIR. Although I would have preferred YYZ I accepted because ultimately, after the basic training is over, I can be posted wherever they need me so the training location was not highly relevant in my decision. My understanding is that it is not uncommon to be posted within the FIR you trained in but you can be sent to any station that has an opening and OJT training staff available.

I don't know if this is the same for VFR/IFR but for FSS it was made very clear that if I accept the offer I have to be prepared to go wherever is available. So, even though you move to AB and do your basic at YEG FIR, you may end up somewhere else for your OJT anyway and then you have to bid/request to go to a site of your choice. I believe there is a mandatory minimum time you have to work in your OJT location before you can bid out but I don't know for sure the details. It may vary depending on your stream/specialty.

Good luck!

RiderYYZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RiderYYZ »

Nekton wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:49 pm I recently contacted HR and asked this question and basically my email said just what you have. They responded within a few weeks and the answer was in two parts.

First, yes they are generally happy to change your FIR preference if that is what you want, however, depending on the stream you have been placed into courses may not be upcoming as quickly for some FIR's as others. In my case I was streamed FSS and requested to transfer to YYZ. I was welcome to do that but they did not have an FSS course on the horizon there vs the FIR I was currently registered in which was holding them in the near future.

Second, I guess the timing of my email was either coincidence or prompted something but I was offered a position on the next training course in my original FIR. Although I would have preferred YYZ I accepted because ultimately, after the basic training is over, I can be posted wherever they need me so the training location was not highly relevant in my decision. My understanding is that it is not uncommon to be posted within the FIR you trained in but you can be sent to any station that has an opening and OJT training staff available.

I don't know if this is the same for VFR/IFR but for FSS it was made very clear that if I accept the offer I have to be prepared to go wherever is available. So, even though you move to AB and do your basic at YEG FIR, you may end up somewhere else for your OJT anyway and then you have to bid/request to go to a site of your choice. I believe there is a mandatory minimum time you have to work in your OJT location before you can bid out but I don't know for sure the details. It may vary depending on your stream/specialty.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for the information, i was streamed VFR/IFR (ATS) so hopefully there will be courses starting more frequently, but nevertheless glad it is a relatively easy thing to do.

bb9999
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bb9999 »

If you were marked eligible for offer in YYZ but did not recieve one yet then changing your FIR to YYC might actually get you a better chance of an actual offer. Just shoot off emails to Ottawa and Toronto asking for consideration in your new FIR and you should be good.

RiderYYZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RiderYYZ »

bb9999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:06 pm If you were marked eligible for offer in YYZ but did not recieve one yet then changing your FIR to YYC might actually get you a better chance of an actual offer. Just shoot off emails to Ottawa and Toronto asking for consideration in your new FIR and you should be good.
I have only been eligible since December, the winter course was already full and consideration for YYZs fall course doesn’t happen until May/June so I haven’t actually been passed up in Toronto. But with my family wanting a move to alberta I figured this could be a good option. Im not sure how the Edmonton FIR courses run compared to Toronto though.

Standby123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Standby123 »

RiderYYZ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:33 pm
bb9999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:06 pm If you were marked eligible for offer in YYZ but did not recieve one yet then changing your FIR to YYC might actually get you a better chance of an actual offer. Just shoot off emails to Ottawa and Toronto asking for consideration in your new FIR and you should be good.
I have only been eligible since December, the winter course was already full and consideration for YYZs fall course doesn’t happen until May/June so I haven’t actually been passed up in Toronto. But with my family wanting a move to alberta I figured this could be a good option. Im not sure how the Edmonton FIR courses run compared to Toronto though.
I think all the FIR’s will have similar numbers of courses. Which equals not enough. With the number of students and courses they are running they won’t even keep up retirements.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”