Air Canada Interview Prep

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada Interview Prep

Post by alkaseltzer »

Old fella wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:21 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:59 am
FL030 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:25 am

I honestly think it was a terrible decision. The complaints I hear from Captains about the incoming Jazz pilots are shocking. My personal interaction with them has been minimal but I recall during my PIT course some struggled to even complete the exam at that end. It's an open-book exam, using an iPad with a search function.
The latest generation of Jazz pilots - the public should be asking questions.
Ok… I am a member of the public( I never worked for any airline) so what questions should we ask then. Are you suggesting there a pilots in cockpits of Jazz aircraft who shouldn’t be there.
Bring a copy of From the Ground Up...Better yet...ask them a simple question on their aircraft type...
---------- ADS -----------

Antigravity2233
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Antigravity2233 »

Hello folks,

I am happy to share that I got a call for interview in Jan but quite anxious as what to expect. I have been following all the threads regarding FAQs and what are asked at the past interviews. According to the mail, I will be going through a computerised assessment before in-person interview, followed by medicals and psych evaluation. I have zero clue on what to expect for MMPI assessment.

Any insight, tips/referrals on how to prep better? I wanted to have a holistic picture of the whole process so that I am not taken by surprise during the assessment.

Many thanks.

Exp :
6500TT
3000PIC A320

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

You have 3000PIC on an airbus and you wish to work for $50,000 a year??
I would be worried about passing a psychological evaluation 🤣🤣

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Your take is lame. We all know the first few years’ pay sucks, but anyone with half a braincell could see why someone might be able to look beyond that. Let the guy enjoy this.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Sorry to offend you buttercup. Take a joke

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

sstaurus wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:51 am Your take is lame. We all know the first few years’ pay sucks, but anyone with half a braincell could see why someone might be able to look beyond that. Let the guy enjoy this.
I thought it was hilarious.

Someone with 3000 PIC on Airbus applying to Air Canada with it's current package and clear message that it doesn't care about new hires, sends all the wrong vibes. The level of contracts that would be available to that pilot are pretty lengthy unless there was an issue with their experience or records. It just doesn't add up prima facie. Anyone I know coming in with significant experience applied not because, what else ya gonna do until the U.S border opens...if it ever does.

With that level of experience you could do a line of blow during the medical, answer all the psych questions like a serial killer, while picking your nose and dookieing yourself during the interview and still get hired at AC. If Keith can get in, just about anybody can.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Antigravity2233 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:18 pm
Any insight, tips/referrals on how to prep better? I wanted to have a holistic picture of the whole process so that I am not taken by surprise during the assessment.
The assessment besides the interview is very easy and straight forward. There's nothing you need to do to prepare for the pysch exam or medical. The pysch exam is just a long series of questions that you answer honestly. I imagine the aim is to make sure you aren't suicidal, or a sociopath, so don't overthink it and just state how you feel. For the medical again there is not much you can do to prep other than making sure you drink some water beforehand so you can fill the cup.

loose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loose »

Antigravity2233 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:18 pm Hello folks,

I am happy to share that I got a call for interview in Jan but quite anxious as what to expect. I have been following all the threads regarding FAQs and what are asked at the past interviews. According to the mail, I will be going through a computerised assessment before in-person interview, followed by medicals and psych evaluation. I have zero clue on what to expect for MMPI assessment.

Many thanks.

Exp :
6500TT
3000PIC A320
Did you recently move to Canada or something? Returning expat perhaps ?? I’m just trying to make sense of your situation…

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Haters gonna hate...

Can you blame this guy? Where else should he go for a career in this country?

I remember when I went to AC there were people that told me I was crazy, I'd always be on reserve, lose my pension, never upgrade, and they were for sure going bankrupt again. Now here in the peanut gallery everyone likes to shit on AC and ACPA pilots for their own crap contracts and choices instead of thinking they might be able to do something to help themselves.

It's amazing to me that we are still the leading contract in this country by most metrics, Alaska killed it on 737 rates last year after breaking through the ceiling that they "couldn't expect to be payed like UAL, DAL, AA - let alone better." AK pilots said F- that.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:40 am It's amazing to me that we are still the leading contract in this country by most metrics...
It's nothing short of sad. I think having seen one of your other posts you got in before flat pay was a thing. I just don't understand how people make ends meet without any sort of commuting policy.

That being said, if more experienced pilots avoided applying to Air Canada, you'd likely see AC more willing to ameliorate the package. But guys like this sit there and validate AC managements argument that there 'is no shortage in experience, so why pay better?'.

Then all the other operators using Airbus and Boeing in Canada have to work under those profit ceilings because they have likely higher running costs to Air Canada, so the only place to save is on pilots.

You guys and this industry need a massive win in 2024.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:04 am But guys like this sit there and validate AC managements argument that there 'is no shortage in experience, so why pay better?'.

That’s the issue. Why pay better? Don’t forget you’re dealing with accountants, who have to answer to a Board of Directors. And how does one answer the simple question “why raise/eliminate flat pay, when classes are full?”

As I said earlier, maybe some day things will change. Are people willing to wait? Looking at a recent Equipment Bid, the hiring plan is staggering. If one waited a year or two, they’d be 1000-1500 names down the list.

So yes, in a year or two, Flat Pay might be doubled. Even eliminated. Anything to keep classes full. The company is very reactive that way. But someone who waited until then could be 1500 names below someone hired today. Who is smarter?

Right now, someone hired today would likely be making $200,000/yr as a 737/320 Captain in 5 years. Using a 2% a year gain (a frightening thought, but it IS ACPA), if the current plan actually happens, $400K /yr as a WB CA in 10 years is not that far fetched.

Last edited by Crewbunk on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:45 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:04 am But guys like this sit there and validate AC managements argument that there 'is no shortage in experience, so why pay better?'.

That’s the issue. Why pay better? Don’t forget you’re dealing with accountants, who have to answer to a Board of Directors. And how does one answer the simple question “why raise/eliminate flat pay, when classes are full?”

As I said earlier, maybe some day things will change. Are people willing to wait? Looking at the Equipment Bid issued a couple days ago, the hiring plan is staggering. If one waited a year or two, they’d be 1000-1500 names down the list.

So yes, in a year or two, Flat Pay might be doubled. Even eliminated. Anything to keep classes full. The company is very reactive that way. But someone who wanted until then could be 1500 names below someone hired today. Who is smarter?

Right now, someone hired today would likely be making $200,000/yr as a 737/320 Captain in 5 years. Using a 2% a year gain (a frightening thought, but it IS ACPA), if the current plan actually happens, $400K /yr as a WB CA in 10 years is not that far fetched.
I hope for your guys sake it works out like that. That would be fantastic and you would have nothing but my respect for negociating those valuations from the company.

Until then I'll live in the peanut gallery...

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:52 am I hope for your guys sake it works out like that. That would be fantastic and you would have nothing but my respect for negociating those valuations from the company.

The numbers/wages I quoted are current wages, nothing to negotiate.

The 5 year and 10 year forecast I quoted are assuming a 2% a year wage gain. Nothing more. And ….. God effing help us, if 2% a year is the best ACPA can do.

Nothing wrong with the peanut gallery. It’s a fun show. I stood and applauded the gains other airlines have achieved over the last couple of months. It’s good for everyone.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:52 am I hope for your guys sake it works out like that. That would be fantastic and you would have nothing but my respect for negociating those valuations from the company.

The numbers/wages I quoted are current wages, nothing to negotiate.

The 5 year and 10 year forecast I quoted are assuming a 2% a year wage gain. Nothing more. And ….. God effing help us, if 2% a year is the best ACPA can do.

Nothing wrong with the peanut gallery. It’s a fun show. I stood and applauded the gains other airlines have achieved over the last couple of months. It’s good for everyone.
(I just realized you meant at end of career with 2% COL they'll see 400k)

Hmmm, I don't know anyone at AC at YR 10 flying in the left on a WB and earning 400k. But I probably just don't know the right people.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:25 pm (I just realized you meant at end of career with 2% COL they'll see 400k)

Hmmm, I don't know anyone at AC at YR 10 flying in the left on a WB and earning 400k. But I probably just don't know the right people.
That’s correct. Read what I wrote again. I said in ten years . Let’s run the numbers ….

Right now, a Triple Captain makes about $335/hr, Half day, half night, using the year 10 pay band. That’s roughly 342,000/ yr. The present AC pilot contract allows for a 2% a year increase. I assumed ACPA was unable to negotiate anything better. So in 10 years, that 10 year Triple Captain will be making $417,900 /yr. With no negotiated gains (compounded 2% annually).

Looking at the training plan and the planned retirements over the next 10 years, I suggested it’s not that far fetched that one hired at the beginning of this hiring wave could hold Triple Captain.

Also understand, that is not maximum pay. There are 12 pay bands presently, but I took the 10 year pay band as I did say, in 10 years!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:58 pm
Yeah I re-read and realized what you meant. All good.

I know quoting U.S scales is a waste of time, but I'd be more impressed at those numbers if 1st year 737 Captains at Delta weren't earning the same. And they're like 5 years in on their seniority.

I've come to the realization that Canada may not ever peak at those valuations (one because it takes our markets so long to react to an upward trend that by the time we react, we're in a recession and tapering back), but it'd be nice to see the initial and midsection of an AC pilots career end up a little fatter instead of talking about theoretical 777 Captain wages that not everyone will be capable of managing or willing to aspire to.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 pm I know quoting U.S scales is a waste of time, but I'd be more impressed at those numbers if 1st year 737 Captains at Delta weren't earning the same. And they're like 5 years in on their seniority.
Oh, you’re preaching to the choir here. But that would be a topic for a different thread.

Antigravity2233
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Antigravity2233 »

Woah!! Be nice folks.

Thanks for all the replies.

About me - I am an expat and am flying in a different country, yes. I am moving back to Canada to be with family.

I believe AC or WS is probably the better airlines for the long run and that’s why I applied. Having said that I am keeping my options open. I have worked for both LCC and full service airline. To be honest, I will like to retire in a full service airline flying the wide body. Loosing few bucks for few years to better life in long run is okay.

It’s better to be in a position to choose the best offer than having none. Hence, I applied at AC.

Newbieyyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Newbieyyz »

Wishing you all good luck!

I had mine mid jan. Does anyone know how long does it actually take to hear from them? They said something about 6-12 weeks, but I would like to hear from other people that are in the process too?

In regards of the interview, no preparation needed except recall in your mind situations you had while flying that could work as examples.

josejimenes33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by josejimenes33 »

Anyone remembering the behavioral questions asked?

Return to “Air Canada”