Returning to Flying After more than 5 years

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Skywolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Returning to Flying After more than 5 years

Post by Skywolf »

Hi,

I obtained my PPL more than 5 years ago and due to financial issues, I had to stop flying. I am now planning to start flying again and I realize that to remain current, certain activities have to be done every 6 months, every 2 years, or every 5 years.

Since I have past the 5 years mark, I am aware that I am not "current" anymore, but does that mean I have to restart my PPL/lost my license?

What can I do to get back into flying again?

Thank you so much for your help!
---------- ADS -----------

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Returning to Flying After more than 5 years

Post by Skymark »

You do not have to restart. All you need to do is complete a flight review with an instructor, and write the PSTAR. The flight review is as long as it takes to get you back to being a safe pilot again.

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

plus your medical of course...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Skymark wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:42 pm You do not have to restart. All you need to do is complete a flight review with an instructor, and write the PSTAR. The flight review is as long as it takes to get you back to being a safe pilot again.
Specifically, an instructor has to sign off that you have demonstrated the appropriate PPL level skill for each exercise in the PPL flight test guide.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dash8dave
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dash8dave »

I spoke to a TC Inspector at the YYC office (as I'm in a similar situation) and they mentioned that the PSTAR is only for the school records, that it is not sent into TC. I guess it is to validate current knowledge of CAR requirements only to the school that is signing you off as 'current'.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Passing the PSTAR in the event that a pilot doesn't meet the 5 year recency requirement is a legal requirement, per 421.05(1)(c) regardless of what the flight school wants (and there may be no flight school involved, as the "sign off" is from an instructor as an individual).

The PSTAR pass is not required prior to the flight review, nor is it required for the logbook endorsement. The pilot need both the logbook endorsement and the PSTAR pass to meet the recency requirements, but the reviewing instructor doesn't need to concern themselves with the PSTAR at all.

It's true that PSTAR results don't get sent to TC, but it's up to the pilot to keep the documentation of their own recency, so they should keep a copy of the PSTAR pass themselves, in case an inspector asks to see it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Skywolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skywolf »

Thank you for the helpful comments!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What you're looking for is called "recency". When you talk to a flight school ask them if they have a specific program to become recent again. YBW Flying club has a program they call "rusty wings", which applies to anyone who hasn't flown in a while, but what you need is to demonstrate to an instructor that you meet the skill level of the license you held because you haven't acted as PIC or SIC in 5 years.

There is no flight test requirement, it's supposed to be just "train to standard". If they are treating the exercises like pass or fail come back tomorrow and try again, they aren't doing it right. You shouldn't have to do a PPL flight test where you meet the flight test standards guide all in one flight. It's just a review of all the exercises, and anything that has changed. And yes you have to write the PSTAR and renew your medical.

Return to “Flight Training”