A career change and looking for as much info as possible.

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

andrew.w.fagan
Rank 0
Rank 0

A career change and looking for as much info as possible.

Post by andrew.w.fagan »

Hi All,
I'm new to this form - thanks to everyone who has commented on similar topics to this in the past. Lots of great information.

Im a 38 year old emergency physician, who for a number of reasons, has reached a point where I'm no longer interested in a career in medicine. I have always been an aviation "enthusiast" (insert i've watched Top Gun), and am considering a career change into rotorwing aviation. I completed a fellowship in HEMS and have worked with several EMS/HEMS services around the world, so I have a reasonable amount of experience in the rotor-wing EMS industry, but always as the doctor in the back (and always envious of the guys up front.)

I'm looking for information regarding the training pipeline to become a commercial helicopter pilot and what the typical first 5-10 years of a career/lifestyle looks like if someone was aspiring to eventually work as a heli-ski pilot.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all information, thanks.

Cheers,
AF
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: A career change and looking for as much info as possible.

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

andrew.w.fagan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:13 pm Hi All,
I'm new to this form - thanks to everyone who has commented on similar topics to this in the past. Lots of great information.

Im a 38 year old emergency physician, who for a number of reasons, has reached a point where I'm no longer interested in a career in medicine. I have always been an aviation "enthusiast" (insert i've watched Top Gun), and am considering a career change into rotorwing aviation. I completed a fellowship in HEMS and have worked with several EMS/HEMS services around the world, so I have a reasonable amount of experience in the rotor-wing EMS industry, but always as the doctor in the back (and always envious of the guys up front.)

I'm looking for information regarding the training pipeline to become a commercial helicopter pilot and what the typical first 5-10 years of a career/lifestyle looks like if someone was aspiring to eventually work as a heli-ski pilot.

Cheers,
AF
You’re going to be looking at working for minimum wage once you pay for the 100k license for several years before you have anything for experience enough to be flying dangerous work like heli skiing. It’s a long hard grind and extremely competitive. I think staying in a better paying career like yours and flying for recreation would be a better decision.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:11 am
andrew.w.fagan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:13 pm Hi All,

Cheers,
AF
You’re going to be looking at working for minimum wage once you pay for the 100k license for several years before you have anything for experience enough to be flying dangerous work like heli skiing. It’s a long hard grind and extremely competitive. I think staying in a better paying career like yours and flying for recreation would be a better decision.
+1 unless you know the owners and have some sort of nepotism you’ll be struggling pushing brooms
For years. It’s not worth it, get your private license and save for a 44

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Doctor in the back? Hmmm...

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

To elaborate, it's been my impression that the medical people in the back are paramedics. The OP states he is an "emergency physician". I could be wrong, but I don't think HEMS services are carrying physicians in the back. In my mind, this casts doubt on the validity of the OP.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

albertdesalvo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:05 pm To elaborate, it's been my impression that the medical people in the back are paramedics. The OP states he is an "emergency physician". I could be wrong, but I don't think HEMS services are carrying physicians in the back. In my mind, this casts doubt on the validity of the OP.
Maybe ask him his situation? Ems is unique at every company and it is a possibility especially with the ones that service northern communities in Canada.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Fair enough, BS. I was triggered (sp) by the "doctor in back".

Didn't seem right to me.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

I have absolutely carried emergency doctors on medevacs. Usually just as ride alongs to see how the process works ect. Also every medevac company has a named doctor who oversees the medical side of the operation.
Also there was an ER doctor out of Selkirk who flew the PC-12 doing charter and medevacs on his “days off” for Keewatin pre-EIC. There are a couple physician/pilots at AC. But I agree, stack cash and buy an R44, retire early and if you still have the itch make a second career out of it.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I have carried doctors.

STARS can carry doctors too.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:05 pm I have carried doctors.

STARS can carry doctors too.
Yep stars 100% carries physicians

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Would it be unusual for a crew to have a doctor in the back? Or would it be normal ops?

I think you guys know the answer.

Now look at the OP. Has a lot of experience as the doctor in the back.

Well, ok then.

rtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rtpilot »

AR, I understand your position. I have a few friends that are emergency room physicians, and they are fed up. I also know a few pilots who are also fed up. Money is not everything. I've made some really good money flying and was miserable. I left the airlines and went a got a rotory wing liscense and couln't be happier. The industry is on fire, you will find work and move up fast. Do what makes you happy, as you know life is short and you can always fall back and you current career.
Good luck,
R

Man I've tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

Return to “Helicopter Forum”