Flair reciprocal jumpseat

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Flair reciprocal jumpseat

Post by skyhighh »

Seriously? How much lower are they willing to go?
---------- ADS -----------

Floop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Flair reciprocal jumpseat

Post by Floop »

How low is who willing to go? The westjet management group? Because this is all on them.

Flair pilots lost jumpseat privileges with westjet late last year. A lot of Flair pilots, myself included, think wr should keep allowing westjet pilots to jumpseat. But unfortunately it's not our call to make.

truecolours
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by truecolours »

I think their (WJ) reaction was a little temper tantrum like but at the same time I don’t agree with Flair’s recruiting tactic that started this whole thing.

There was probably a better way to resolve this.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

truecolours wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 am I think their (WJ) reaction was a little temper tantrum like but at the same time I don’t agree with Flair’s recruiting tactic that started this whole thing.

This is the third time I’ve heard about Flairs recruiting tactics aimed directly at WJ. What happened, what did Flair do that upset WJ so much?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:23 am
truecolours wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 am I think their (WJ) reaction was a little temper tantrum like but at the same time I don’t agree with Flair’s recruiting tactic that started this whole thing.

This is the third time I’ve heard about Flairs recruiting tactics aimed directly at WJ. What happened, what did Flair do that upset WJ so much?
One of our recruiting advertisements named some of the airlines (Westjet included) that we had reciprocal jumpseat agreements with. WestJet took umbrage with that and we modified the posting quickly to say “most major Canadian airlines”.

Following that Westjet still chose to terminate the agreement. We kept our jump seats open as a courtesy to commuting Westjet pilots to give all parties time to reconsider as reciprocity is a key component of the jumpseat program.

While competitors, we believe that the jumpseat program should be kept separate from corporate politics as it’s a key component in pilot quality of work life balance. We look forward to welcoming Westjet group pilots back in our jump seats in the future.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

I’m routinely ashamed of what WestJet has become, but this latest episode in management temper-tantrums was truly appalling. No stones left to throw so now they’re weaponizing the jumpseat.

truecolours
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by truecolours »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:23 am

It wasn't aimed directly AT WJ. As tbaylx mentioned, (I never actually saw the ad to be honest) their add referenced travel privileges on WJ (and I believe a few others). My comment regarding not being a fan of that tactic comes from thinking all airlines should be able to attract talent based on what THEY offer. One day. Maybe.

Again it was kneejerk reaction by a company starting to lose control and not get their way anymore. "Hey, can you not use us in your recruitment ads" would have worked.

I am sure it will return one day when cooler heads prevail.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

Typical WestJet though, they are willing to do anything to avoid fixing the actual problem. They used to laugh at Flair and now their pilots are going there. Instead of actually trying to keep their pilots by providing industry standard WAWCON, they remove a reciprocal jumpseat agreement which literally helps their pilots go to work.
If Flair “steals” your pilot, do something to make them stay.

I do 100% agree, reciprocal jumpseats should be kept separate of any airlines politics and thank you to Flair for being the bigger “person” and keeping the reciprocal jumpseat going for as long as it did.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Really shows how far westjet has devolved when management resorts to childish tactics in an attempt to penalize flair for recruiting their pilots and make them less desirable to work at instead of just trying to improve working conditions at home. I’m surprised they haven’t pulled the reciprocal jump agreement with Air Canada based on how many pilots AC has hired and how devastating it’s been to their pilot numbers. Maybe that’ll still happen based on the irrational direction WJ management seems to be on.

I have a lot of respect for flair for continuing to let westjet pilots commute on their aircraft for as long as they did instead of pulling the agreement immediately. Shows a lot more class than what ever WJ is doing.

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

I believe flair kept reciprocal jump open for WJA pilots on furlough as well. Classy move

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Nashbandicoot wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:12 pm I believe flair kept reciprocal jump open for WJA pilots on furlough as well. Classy move
Yes they did and yes it was a classy move.

I have it on good authority that when you factor in the upgrade times at the various airlines, with Flair's new agreement, your total earnings over 10 years will be higher than any other airline in Canada. (WJ pays more for each step but when you finally upgrade to captain at WJ after 10 years, you will have been a captain at Flair for close to 10 years.)

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I would never make a career decision based on a 10 year earning alone of course... At flair after 10 years, good chance you could be starting over at some point along the way. I would place at WJ an obviously lower chance of that happening.

Return to “WestJet”