Per Diems?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Per Diems?

Post by Bil Derberg »

I was wondering what the average per diems you guys average per year? monthy?

Greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Per Diems?

Post by Airbrake »

It would depend on what you bid,
If you do single days as often as one can, $300 would be a normal month.
If you do 3 5 days with a few international layovers it’ll be higher in the $500 + amount.
The rates per hour have gone up each year a few %, I don’t have them handy, I’m sure someone can update the amounts per hour of domestic vs international.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

JungleRiot wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:23 am I was wondering what the average per diems you guys average per year? monthy?

Greatly appreciated.
Are you trying to justify the low pay to yourself by supplementing it in with your Meal Cost Replacement (MCR)? MCR (colloquially 'per diem') is not compensation for your work or your experience and is only a replacement of the costs you bear by living your life on the road.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

averageatbest wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:48 pm
JungleRiot wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:23 am I was wondering what the average per diems you guys average per year? monthy?

Greatly appreciated.
Are you trying to justify the low pay to yourself by supplementing it in with your Meal Cost Replacement (MCR)? MCR (colloquially 'per diem') is not compensation for your work or your experience and is only a replacement of the costs you bear by living your life on the road.
They could just be trying to decide if the per diem is enough to actually cover the cost of food on the road so they can decide then. $15 breakfast, $20-25 lunch and $30+ supper isn’t hard to do so doing due diligence isn’t bad to make sure you are covered

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

In this era of relentless and suffocating tax increases, I'd much rather take a substantial increase to perdiems instead of salary.

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

Keep in mind you will be on reserve. Per diems can be zero

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

fish4life wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:28 pm They could just be trying to decide if the per diem is enough to actually cover the cost of food on the road so they can decide then. $15 breakfast, $20-25 lunch and $30+ supper isn’t hard to do so doing due diligence isn’t bad to make sure you are covered
MCR is not a make or break item. The rest of the contract should pull a crappy MCR up and not the other way around.

That is unless the MCR is ridiculously high.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

In the seventies/eighties it always was a hamburger and a bottle of whiskey per day. I don't think it has changed that much.

Return to “WestJet”