Perimeter/Bearskin hiring so many departments

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Nighthawk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Perimeter/Bearskin hiring so many departments

Post by Nighthawk1 »

What's with Perimeter/Bearskin having so many job ads? They are looking for captains for both the metro and the dash for all bases. Even looking for a director of maintenance and a new base manager for Thunder Bay. Anyone who worked there recently who can provide some feed back on the work environment/schedule? The ad says competitive wages "as per collective agreement".
---------- ADS -----------

LotsOfGravy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Perimeter/Bearskin hiring so many departments

Post by LotsOfGravy »

Bad pay. Horrible senior management. Sad working conditions.

They are the only 705 in Canada (if not North America) that pilots have to load/unload/deice/fuel their own plane.

The last Collective Agreement expired a long time ago, and management has been dragging their feet. They recently offered a whopping 1.5% flight hour raise for Perimeter pilots. Then after a hectic summer, as a sign of appreciation, pilots were given a $50 Walmart giftcard!!

Somehow they are still struggling to find pilots? The solutions is to have a Pilot Referral Program - if you refer a Direct Entry Captain to this hellhole, you COULD both earn $1700 towards a new Bose Headset (provided you both stay for 6 months)...

DH8 FO in YWG will get you $33 000, plus soft pay. Metro FO in YWG is around $28 000. The contract is online somewhere.

Check this:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Perim ... 371105.htm

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Yikes. What about the rumours in another topic about a 30 - 40% raise. Any truth to that?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
LotsOfGravy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LotsOfGravy »

Highly unlikely.

On January 7th, a meeting with ALPA and Perimeter hit another stalemate. ALPA want to be switched to a flight hour credit system (currently it is a salary) and Perimeter does not want that. This is a major point of contention.

ALPA asked for information that would enable a strike/lock out and obey 87.4 of the Canadian Labour Code.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

LotsOfGravy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:50 pm Highly unlikely.

On January 7th, a meeting with ALPA and Perimeter hit another stalemate. ALPA want to be switched to a flight hour credit system (currently it is a salary) and Perimeter does not want that. This is a major point of contention.

ALPA asked for information that would enable a strike/lock out and obey 87.4 of the Canadian Labour Code.
Do you mean that Perimeter Management does not want that, or the Perimeter pilots don't want that?
Are both Perimeter and Bearskin pilots now represented by ALPA?

LotsOfGravy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LotsOfGravy »

Corrected by birdsofafeather. ALPA at Perimeter do not want flight credit system, they want to keep salary. Company is pushing for flight credit system.
Yes, both are represented by ALPA.

Last edited by LotsOfGravy on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Bearskin is currently on a flight hour system.

Also interesting that you say perimeter’s 705 machines have to unload, deice, fuel, etc because Bearskin’s 704 metros are easy. You have rampies that will load, fuel, and deice you. Bearskin 704 metro used to be one of the best jobs in Canada, unfortunately EIC ruined that.

LotsOfGravy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LotsOfGravy »

Yes, they are still on different CBA's. I believe the lists will be merged whenever they get the new CBA.

Bearskin metros are still easy operation atleast compared to Perimeter side.

Perimeter metros are deiced on the ramp in YWG/YTH with help from rampies (goodluck finding them). Dash goes to the deice bay in YWG/YTH. It is when you get to reserves you'll be by yourself for most part. You'll have CSA to check-in people and whoever decided to show up to help unload. Deicing and fuelling is completely on you.

MD-2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MD-2 »

Take a look at who is their new President… Say no more.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

LotsOfGravy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:01 pm Bad pay. Horrible senior management. Sad working conditions.

They are the only 705 in Canada (if not North America) that pilots have to load/unload/deice/fuel their own plane.

The last Collective Agreement expired a long time ago, and management has been dragging their feet. They recently offered a whopping 1.5% flight hour raise for Perimeter pilots. Then after a hectic summer, as a sign of appreciation, pilots were given a $50 Walmart giftcard!!

Somehow they are still struggling to find pilots? The solutions is to have a Pilot Referral Program - if you refer a Direct Entry Captain to this hellhole, you COULD both earn $1700 towards a new Bose Headset (provided you both stay for 6 months)...

DH8 FO in YWG will get you $33 000, plus soft pay. Metro FO in YWG is around $28 000. The contract is online somewhere.

Check this:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Perim ... 371105.htm
Perimeter is continuously hiring in position such as ramp, SOCC, pilots, etc for two reasons
-Rampies keep going flight line in short order. Sometimes quicker than even get a permanent RAIC and DA so they can drive on the ramp. Dash 8 pay is low for FOs because they often have 250 hrs and have worked in a non-flying position for as little as 6 months even during COVID. Is there anyone else your first job is as a Dash 8 FO in a major city after spending just 6 months on the ramp/SOCC?

-Perimeter continues to grow and has bought 6 Dash 8's in the last 12 months while every smaller airline has been raped by the bigger airlines who can't hire fast enough.

There's definitely much room for improvement but it's slowly happening.

PS Pilots end up helping up north for one reason only (obvious if you've worked in the north), If you have a solution to this is issue you should
patented it as we all know it slows the operation down. Pilots at other 705 northern airlines outside of Nunavut also help.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

bobcaygeon wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:20 am
PS Pilots end up helping up north for one reason only (obvious if you've worked in the north)
Because the company is too cheap to base reliable workers up there?

The solution is simple as it is brilliant: fly the necessary workers up there on the first plane going north, and pick them up again on the last flight going south.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

digits_ wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 am Because the company is too cheap to base reliable workers up there?

The solution is simple as it is brilliant: fly the necessary workers up there on the first plane going north, and pick them up again on the last flight going south.
I believe they already do that, but they dont leave them all day, they come back on the same plane. Added bonus, they get to log flight hours because they are up front driving.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 am Because the company is too cheap to base reliable workers up there?

I believe they already do that, but they dont leave them all day, they come back on the same plane. Added bonus, they get to log flight hours because they are up front driving.
Time to introduce augmented crew for 1.5 hour flights up north in a dash 8 :mrgreen:

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

Have you seen the meme/graph showing how shitty a company is is directly correlated to how often they post job ads on avcanada? That’s the easiest way to describe this company with piss poor management.

birdsofafeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by birdsofafeather »

LotsOfGravy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:53 pm Perimeter would rather have salary than a flight credit system, ALPA wants hour credit system. I believe they'd end up having to pay more to pilots on flight hour credit system.
I'm afraid you've very likely been misled. Ask a Perimeter pilot or rep to explain how the credit hour system works...... lol

Why would a Company not support a system that incentives productivity vs a salary that's paid regardless if a pilot flies one flight or 3? Why work hard when your lazy coworker gets paid the same as you anyway? We all know "that guy".....
Perimeter pilots are on salary and get paid more than the Bearskin pilots on a credit system already.

A buddy of mine flies for Perimeter just wants to get paid more. The flying is fun and with the new regulations the days aren't insane but its tough to build time now. It the same where I work now too. He showed me an email from his union and he's pissed because they are focusing on stupid crap that isn't in the current agreement and no one cares about now. He just wants a raise to pay his bills, a decent schedule, and more flying hours. He flies with a couple of the union reps and it's a very long day when he flies with one of them.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

birdsofafeather wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:56 pm
LotsOfGravy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:53 pm Perimeter would rather have salary than a flight credit system, ALPA wants hour credit system. I believe they'd end up having to pay more to pilots on flight hour credit system.
I'm afraid you've very likely been misled. Ask a Perimeter pilot or rep to explain how the credit hour system works...... lol

Why would a Company not support a system that incentives productivity vs a salary that's paid regardless if a pilot flies one flight or 3? Why work hard when your lazy coworker gets paid the same as you anyway? We all know "that guy".....
Perimeter pilots are on salary and get paid more than the Bearskin pilots on a credit system already.

A buddy of mine flies for Perimeter just wants to get paid more. The flying is fun and with the new regulations the days aren't insane but its tough to build time now. It the same where I work now too. He showed me an email from his union and he's pissed because they are focusing on stupid crap that isn't in the current agreement and no one cares about now. He just wants a raise to pay his bills, a decent schedule, and more flying hours. He flies with a couple of the union reps and it's a very long day when he flies with one of them.
Uhhhh I’m a pilot who left perimeter in the last year and I can assure you the MEC is not the issue there lol it’s 100% management who’s at fault, cutting costs in every way imaginable because their EIC bonuses depend on it. They will literally pull crews off a Sched to operate a charter and bring in that revenue and just rebook the pax on another flight up to the reserve. Funny how terrible your service can be when you have a monopoly in your market and your customers can’t drive home

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

digits_ wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 am
bobcaygeon wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:20 am
PS Pilots end up helping up north for one reason only (obvious if you've worked in the north)
Because the company is too cheap to base reliable workers up there?

Are you the first to volunteer for that? With only LNAVs everywhere and weather an issue most of the winter there’s not going to be a lot of volunteers for that. I wouldn’t.

Winter is the toughest time and unfortunately it’s when you need the most time before and after skeds come and go.

Concept seems good but I’d rather be a rampie in Winnipeg for less money.

MD-2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MD-2 »

Of the 6 Dash Eights bought, how many are in service? Perimeter doesn't have the Crews or Maintenance to operate the aircraft they currently have.

I was talking to a Buddy of mine who said Perimeter in 2022 had more then 400 resignations! This is a company with approximately 800 employees. I do believe they have an issue..... Another company who is winning the race to the bottom....

LotsOfGravy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LotsOfGravy »

IMG-20230126-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0001.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Nighthawk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nighthawk1 »

Crazy, how is that even legal to pay the pilots less than the minimum wage?

Return to “General Comments”